"You have to learn everything"

10 minutes ago, Good Guy Garlan said:

I'm sure Aenys Blackfyre would beg to differ. 

You mean the traitor tha tried to usurp the throne? What part of serving the Realm didn't you understand? Of course if you pick a side that means you'll have opponnents that will need to be defeated.

9 minutes ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

This Bloodraven individual seems to be on the up and up. Good for him.

But the 3ER tells us he's 1000 years old, so he's not Brynden Rivers. 

Either you take that literally and in that case the writers fucked up or you don't and it's just an expression and he hasn't actually been there for a 1000 years. it's not as complicated as people want to make it to be.

Just now, Petite Psycophant said:

You mean the traitor tha tried to usurp the throne? What part of serving the Realm didn't you understand? Of course if you pick a side that means you'll have opponnents that will need to be defeated.

But then you're not "the most trustworthy person in the realm", even if you are serving the realm (whatever that means). Hell, I'd argue that if you want to "serve the realm" you have to break a whole lot of rules and stab a lot of people in the back in the process. 

10 minutes ago, Petite Psycophant said:

Either you take that literally and in that case the writers fucked up or you don't and it's just an expression and he hasn't actually been there for a 1000 years. it's not as complicated as people want to make it to be.

3ER: "You think I wanted to sit here for 1.000 years watching the world from a distance as the roots grew through me?"

He could have said decades, a century, countless years, years without number, etc. There is nothing that could indicate this is an expression, or a figure of speech. And Bran doesn’t call him out on this, so he seems to take this for granted.

I think the producers don’t think that 3ER’s identity matters that much to the plot, just his purpose.

Or Brynden sucks at math and he rounded up 70 years to 1000. Could happen.

18 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

So Bran as to learn everything.

Except what is inside the Tower?

Except Jon's parentage?

Except how he can communicate telepathically with people trough time?

Except the 3 eyed raven's name?

......:huh:

Why is he being so cryptic?

We'll learn more next week, more the week after, more ...... D&D need some hook to ensure viewing figures don't drop 100%

If Three-Eyed Raven/Crow (which one????!!!!) is 1000 years old, he isn't who he is in the books, so no clues as to his motives there. And I do take that age literally; I don't think D&D want to go into the Blackfyre backstory.

3 hours ago, Petite Psycophant said:

No, he meant the guy that got promised safe conduct to stake his claim in front of a Great Council. Bit of a difference. 

4 hours ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

3ER: "You think I wanted to sit here for 1.000 years watching the world from a distance as the roots grew through me?"

He could have said decades, a century, countless years, years without number, etc. There is nothing that could indicate this is an expression, or a figure of speech. And Bran doesn’t call him out on this, so he seems to take this for granted.

I think the producers don’t think that 3ER’s identity matters that much to the plot, just his purpose.

Yeah i think he sucks at math, he seems like more of a humanities guy to me & is definitely prone to exaggeration.

"Everything" Really? No one can learn "everything". He's obviously just a dramatic guy ;)

7 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

There is no need to over think this, this is just the writers' way of answering a question without answering the question.

Obviously Bran can't and won't learn "everything".

This.

No writer gives all the answers in a big block of information all at once. Even GRRM hasn't given us all the details of TOJ or RR.

It's bad story telling in any case, the audience can't absorb too many facts at one time. P.us if you give all the answers at the start then there are no surprises left for the rest of the season. Let them tell the story before complaining about a lack of answers, we're on epidsoe three of the season. We'll get to see in the Tower. We'll likely hear more of the 3ER (seems likely he isn't Bloodraven probably so they don't have to explain about his past, simpler to just make him a NW Lord Commander from 1000 years ago who nobody heard of).

The writers are using Bran's "training" as a way to show us some flashbacks. We might get to see Azor Ahai / The Last Hero in the original Long Night as this could be something Jon or Bran could use to fight the Others plus it'd make for some cool flashbacks.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Greenhands said:

I wonder if the Night's King will try to tempt Bran to join him and reveal what their agenda is. He could even offer Bran the ability to walk which would I'm sure be very appealing to him.

Can't see that happening, BUT I do think it will be quite the reveal when we/Bran finds out just who the Night's King actually is/was.

21 minutes ago, Mr. Greenhands said:

I wonder if the Night's King will try to tempt Bran to join him and reveal what their agenda is. He could even offer Bran the ability to walk which would I'm sure be very appealing to him.

Oooh this is very interesting. A bit ..come to the dark side, it is your destiny.... I am your great, great, great, great, great grandfather... 

Nice :)

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

Oooh this is very interesting. A bit ..come to the dark side, it is your destiny.... I am your great, great, great, great, great grandfather... 

Nice :)

That's EXACTLY how it came across to me, which is why I can't see it - too naff ^_^

I guess I heard it wrong, I thought 3ER said, do you think I want to be here 1,000 years, not wanted to be. Either way it doesn't make much difference. He is a plot tool to teach Bran, because he is the important one, the rest is world building and back story. Same with Coldhands, he was a plot device to get Bran to the cave, no more no less.

Do I see him as evil, no, I see him trying to teach Bran how to defeat the walkers. The preview that showed Bran with the NK to me is a vision and the 3ER is likely standing to the side, he is showing Bran where they are based out of (land of always winter) and possibly how to defeat them. I think the grabbing of Brans hand is to show how strong the NK is and that he knows Bran is learning.

18 hours ago, Ser Yorick Ampersand said:

Well in the Dunk and Egg books the actions of Brynden Rivers as Hand of the King are moraly good and Egg likes him better than other family members. He allways did what was good for the realm and his family.

Unless he had a change of heart after being exiled into the Wall he seemed like an ok guy.

Now that I think about it he was very similar to Tyrion. Tyrion is allways concerned about the realm and its people he even won a crucial battle saving everyone (just like Bloodraven crushed the Blackfyre rebellions with strategic thought and went into battle).

Like Tyrion he should be called a hero but instead people despise him and tell awfull rumours about him. (Tyrion the Imp the monster - Bloodraven was blamed for the Spring Sickness and for the drought and accused of encursing the King bending him to his will etc..)

I never considered this parallel between Bloodraven and Tyrion, but it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for this.

I find it hilarious and hypocritical that fans of ASOIAF and GRRM, the master of dragged out storylines, who takes forever to release each book, show no patience for the show. They judge each arc and plot point on one episode, without giving them the benefit of the doubt and actually waiting to see how they all play out. You know, there's always more to each arc than what's in a single episode. Bran's story isn't done. Obiously. The things you listed as a basis for a nitpick are going to happen later on. BR even flat out says they will get back to TOJ. 

So much of criticism is based on people's inability or unwillingness to pay attention, think things through and bias. Many of the things they have a problem with can be easily explained or are a non-issue. It's just easier to rant. It doesn't require much thought to be put into it.

5 minutes ago, Darksky said:

I find it hilarious and hypocritical that fans of ASOIAF and GRRM, the master of dragged out storylines, who takes forever to release each book, show no patience for the show. They judge each arc and plot point on one episode, without giving them the benefit of the doubt and actually waiting to see how they all play out. You know, there's always more to each arc than what's in a single episode. Bran's story isn't done. Obiously. The things you listed as a basis for a nitpick are going to happen later on. BR even flat out says they will get back to TOJ. 

So much of criticism is based on people's inability or unwillingness to pay attention, think things through and bias. Many of the things they have a problem with can be easily explained or are a non-issue. It's just easier to rant. It doesn't require much thought to be put into it.

Yep, you need to let the season play out before making those assumptions. I think we are used to waiting years and years for a book so there was always time in between to nit pick.

On May 10, 2016 at 3:27 PM, Lord Friendzone said:

Game of Thrones March Madness promo here.

He grabbed his hand in what is vision (even Isaac talked about it if Iam not mistaken) and curiously Bran is there alone. usually he is with Bloodraven. Like Bloodraven said to him "if you stay there too long, you'll drown." Maybe it even means White Walkers can see him, locate him or do something. Just something he never told him but incase he would like to stay, to warn him. This goes dangerously close to Lotr and Frodo with Sauron. "I can see you" moment.

After really looking at this, it looks like Bran is seeing Hardhome. Maybe he does this on his own and that's why the NK is able to interact with him? 

What do y'all think? 

On 5/11/2016 at 11:42 PM, Xcorpyo001 said:

This got a good laugh out of me.

Does anybody else here have a problem with what the "Three-Eyed Raven" looks like.  Seriously, he looks like a normal old man in the middle of a bunch of branches.

Also, if they are not going to use the weirwoods for visions, then why is he even in a tree?  Isn't the point of the roots growing through him is that he has a physical connection to the weirwood trees throughout Westeros?

They should have just had him sitting in a wooden chair holding a mystical orb if they were going to do visions like this.

2 hours ago, Rubicante said:

This got a good laugh out of me.

Does anybody else here have a problem with what the "Three-Eyed Raven" looks like.  Seriously, he looks like a normal old man in the middle of a bunch of branches.

Also, if they are not going to use the weirwoods for visions, then why is he even in a tree?  Isn't the point of the roots growing through him is that he has a physical connection to the weirwood trees throughout Westeros?

They should have just had him sitting in a wooden chair holding a mystical orb if they were going to do visions like this.

One does not simply make demands of Max von Sydow. The actor is a little on the old side. Plus, I don’t think he’ll want to stay several hours a day applying make-up before even starting filming. Maybe if there was a less famous actor(like the guy we had last year). But the big guys do things their own way, and nobody has the balls to tell them otherwise.

The roots aren’t the only problem. For a guy that spent 1000 years inside a tree, he managed to keep himself quite well groomed. Cleanly shaved, trimmed hair, clothes that are not rotten around him, etc. I guess those Children around him have to do something. I will not ask about elimination of biological waste because I still want to keep my sanity intact. If roots were growing through him, the tree itself could sustain him with all the nutrients he needed but this version…

And he’s not the only one with demands. Clarke decided that she is so awesome now, that she no longer needs to show us her boobs to keep us interested in her scenes. Kit is sporting a new haircut, and Pycelle’s actor had a huge interview a while back telling us how he convinced the producers to not shot the scene where he is so scared he wets himself. He also regales us with his awesome skills at convincing the guys in charge in making other changes to his character. Who knows what Lena’s demands were…

I have to thank Charles Dance for going with Tywin’s death as closely as it was presented to us in the books. That is a great actor that acts the character he is supposed to act, not makes up his own damn version, and doesn’t just chooses what scenes to film and how to do it.

49 minutes ago, Xcorpyo001 said:

One does not simply make demands of Max von Sydow. The actor is a little on the old side. Plus, I don’t think he’ll want to stay several hours a day applying make-up before even starting filming. Maybe if there was a less famous actor(like the guy we had last year). But the big guys do things their own way, and nobody has the balls to tell them otherwise.

Well, why cast someone like that then? I mean sure it makes sense that someone that old might not want to be getting prosthetics applied to their face for 4 hours per each day of shooting, but... duh, then you simply have the wrong actor for the part, period.

I think his appearance is very underwhelming, on top of not looking anything like in S4, which I thought was already very underwhelming but still much more impressive than this. He's just an old guy who seems to be comfortably sitting in a chair conveniently obstructed by some roots.

5 hours ago, TheAzorAhai said:

After really looking at this, it looks like Bran is seeing Hardhome. Maybe he does this on his own and that's why the NK is able to interact with him? 

What do y'all think? 

it looks like WW Stonehenge, like the one we saw in season 4. Hardhome is not impossible and Brand did said "they don't know what is coming to them" or something like that.

Archived