Aussies LXV - what choices have we?!

sh_wulff

6 hours ago, Squab said:

18C, now kicking goals with both feet

Not really, they've got no case. 18D exempts 'a fair and accurate report of any event or matter of public interest'. The (ab)use of comfort women by Japanese soldiers is documented historical fact, and clearly in the public interest. It's not going anywhere, Tim Wilson is just inflating it because that's what Tim Wilson does.

I'm glad we have laws prohibiting race hate. Stop assuming that fringe cases are the be all and end all of the laws. Racism exists and this law outlaws it. Read the entire legislation, as has been painstakingly pointed out to, the law is fairly weak and only applies in extreme cases. In fact, it doesn't apply at all unless you contravene a very specific series of sections of the law.

Notice: it's called "Section 18C."

There are six subsections to Section 18, and it takes 30 seconds of skim reading to realise that all of the usual complaints against it don't apply when you read the full text.

The Act has 47 Sections to it.

Here is the text in full of the two sections it seems no Australians can be bothered looking up:

18C  Offensive behaviour because of race, colour or national or ethnic origin

(1)  It is unlawful for a person to do an act, otherwise than in private, if:

(a)  the act is reasonably likely, in all the circumstances, to offend, insult, humiliate or intimidate another person or a group of people; and

(b)  the act is done because of the race, colour or national or ethnic origin of the other person or of some or all of the people in the group.

Note:          Subsection (1) makes certain acts unlawful. Section 46P of the Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986 allows people to make complaints to the Australian Human Rights Commission about unlawful acts. However, an unlawful act is not necessarily a criminal offence. Section 26 says that this Act does not make it an offence to do an act that is unlawful because of this Part, unless Part IV expressly says that the act is an offence.

(2)  For the purposes of subsection (1), an act is taken not to be done in private if it:

(a)  causes words, sounds, images or writing to be communicated to the public; or

(b)  is done in a public place; or

(c)  is done in the sight or hearing of people who are in a public place.

(3)  In this section:

public place includes any place to which the public have access as of right or by invitation, whether express or implied and whether or not a charge is made for admission to the place.

18D  Exemptions

Section 18C does not render unlawful anything said or done reasonably and in good faith:

(a)  in the performance, exhibition or distribution of an artistic work; or

(b)  in the course of any statement, publication, discussion or debate made or held for any genuine academic, artistic or scientific purpose or any other genuine purpose in the public interest; or

(c)  in making or publishing:

(i)  a fair and accurate report of any event or matter of public interest; or

(ii)  a fair comment on any event or matter of public interest if the comment is an expression of a genuine belief held by the person making the comment.

On 13/12/2016 at 9:05 PM, brook said:

I've been plotting trying for a Jan bwb meetup at the grifter brewery mostly because it's around the corner from us and I'm lazy but also the beer is good.

Love to come, need dates. And somewhere where they dontID ppl.

Hey Yukle, thanks for posting up that there on the 18C.

I've always thought it to be a great feature to have laws which don't make it legal to be racist, but do make it illegal to promote the falsehood of racism. 

This legislation is fine as it is. It's balanced and considered. If it's gotten rid of, it potentially could, by the swing of the pendulum eventually, be replaced by a law which outlaws belief in untruth. And then the racists will be the first against the wall. Ignorance in itself, to my mind, is not an executionable offence.

On 12/23/2016 at 1:22 PM, sh_wulff said:

Love to come, need dates. And somewhere where they dontID ppl.

From the 6th to the 8th of Jan probably works best for me

6 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

The brewery not open at night?

It is, just have it in my head as a day place for some reason. It doesn't do it's own food, but can have pizza delivered there iirc. I haven't looked yet but Brook did, I'll get her to add more tomorrow.

15 hours ago, karaddin said:

It is, just have it in my head as a day place for some reason. It doesn't do it's own food, but can have pizza delivered there iirc. I haven't looked yet but Brook did, I'll get her to add more tomorrow.

We can always start early (4-5ish) for brews at the brewery and find a dinner place after if need be? What's the name and address of the brewery?

Cool, venue is decided then. 4-5 PM start work for everyone?

Coming: Karaddin, Brook, Screaming Turkey, Horza, Sh Wulff, BeeTrix, The Winged Shadow
Tentative: Paxter, Neal, Stormborne
Not Coming: Morningsword 

Jeor, you around? I don't have your contact, so let us know if you are keen. It's been forever since you last came to one of these!! Did i miss anyone?

Yukle, Squab, Arkhangel, The Drunkard, or other lurkers/noobs, any of you around Sydney and keen for a brew or three? It's been a while since we had a newbie!

Hello Aussies, it's been too long since I was on here.  Sorry, I won't make the meet, would be great to catch up.

Keep in mind a February meet when Peadar comes to town, not sure which dates yet.  Any suggestions for decent vegan grub?

Archived