[Spoilers] Rant and Rave without Reprecussions - Season 6 Edition

Ran

Sandor is not at peace but at rest (in the books). I don't like the way they did it, I think the broken man speech was poorly written, and missing all the beauty and poetry of the original. And the slaughter was typical D&D&C.

But I'm fine with Sandor's protective nature kicking back in. I think he's going to want to protect a certain little bird, that's what this is leading to. There were hints along those lines, I'm sure they are going there...

6 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Sandor is not at peace but at rest. I don't like the way they did it, I think the broken man speech was poorly written, and missing all the beauty and poetry of the original. And the slaughter was typical D&D&C.

But I'm fine with Sandor's protective nature kicking back in. I think he's going to want to protect a certain little bird, that's what this is leading to. There were hints along those lines, I'm sure they are going there...

Which begs the question, if MacShane was also supposed to represent Meribald, why bother changing one of the most beautiful speeches in all of ASOIAF?  You don't think he couldn't have pulled it off? Shit it probably would have had me balling-the broken man speech, in an Episode called The Broken Man given by Ser Swearengen!

Here's a clip with Rory and Ian McShaneI don't think the Hound is full of hate as he was. I think Sandor Clegane is starting off with a little bit of peace, actually.

Also this from the showrunners: He's a more thoughtful person... He's really thinking about his past in a way he never had before... He's starting to see that there's perhaps a different way of living your life. The unfortunate ugly reality is the kind of pacifism Ray is preaching is often suicidal when you are in the middle of the world they are all in.

This should have been pretty much the limit of Ser Swearengen's appearance if they were going to kill him off.

"More less than more. There are many sorts of outlaws, just as there are many sorts of birds. A sandpiper and a sea eagle both have wings, but they are not the same. The singers love to sing of good men forced to go outside the law to fight some wicked lord, but most outlaws are more like this ravening Hound than they are the lightning lord. They are evil men, driven by greed, soured by malice, despising the gods and caring only for themselves. Broken men are more deserving of our pity, though they may be just as dangerous. Almost all are common-born, simple folk who had never been more than a mile from the house where they were born until the day some lord came round to take them off to war. Poorly shod and poorly clad, they march away beneath his banners, oft times with no better arms than a sickle or a sharpened hoe, or a maul they made themselves by lashing a stone to a stick with strips of hide. Brothers march with brothers, sons with fathers, friends with friends. They've heard the songs and stories, so they go off with eager hearts, dreaming of the wonders they will see, of the wealth and glory they will win. War seems a fine adventure, the greatest most of them will ever know.

"Then they get a taste of battle.

"For some, that one taste is enough to break them. Others go on for years, until they lose count of all the battles they have fought in, but even a man who has survived a hundred fights can break in his hundred-and-first. Brothers watch their brothers die, fathers lose their sons, friends see their friends trying to hold their entrails in after they've been gutted by an axe.

"They see the lord who led them there cut down, and some other lord shouts that they are his now. They take a wound, and when that's still half-healed they take another. There is never enough to eat, their shoes fall to pieces from the marching, their clothes are torn and rotting, and half of them are shitting in their breeches from drinking bad water.

"If they want new boots or a warmer cloak or maybe a rusted iron halfhelm, they need to take them from a corpse, and before long they are stealing from the living too, from the smallfolk whose lands they're fighting in, men very like the men they used to be. They slaughter their sheep and steal their chickens, and from there it's just a short step to carrying off their daughters too. And one day they look around and realize all their friends and kin are gone, that they are fighting beside strangers beneath a banner that they hardly recognize. They don't know where they are or how to get back home and the lord they're fighting for does not know their names, yet here he comes, shouting for them to form up, to make a line with their spears and scythes and sharpened hoes, to stand their ground. And the knights come down on them, faceless men clad all in steel, and the iron thunder of their charge seems to fill the world . . .

"And the man breaks.

"He turns and runs, or crawls off afterward over the corpses of the slain, or steals away in the black of night, and he finds someplace to hide. All thought of home is gone by then, and kings and lords and gods mean less to him than a haunch of spoiled meat that will let him live another day, or a skin of bad wine that might drown his fear for a few hours. The broken man lives from day to day, from meal to meal, more beast than man. Lady Brienne is not wrong. In times like these, the traveler must beware of broken men, and fear them . . . but he should pity them as well."

When Meribald was finished a profound silence fell upon their little band. Brienne could hear the wind rustling through a clump of pussywillows, and farther off the faint cry of a loon. She could hear Dog panting softly as he loped along beside the septon and his donkey, tongue lolling from his mouth. The quiet stretched and stretched, until finally she said, "How old were you when they marched you off to war?"

"Why, no older than your boy," Meribald replied. "Too young for such, in truth, but my brothers were all going, and I would not be left behind. Willam said I could be his squire, though Will was no knight, only a potboy armed with a kitchen knife he'd stolen from the inn. He died upon the Stepstones, and never struck a blow. It was fever did for him, and for my brother Robin. Owen died from a mace that split his head apart, and his friend Jon Pox was hanged for rape."

"The War of the Ninepenny Kings?" asked Hyle Hunt.

"So they called it, though I never saw a king, nor earned a penny. It was a war, though. That it was."

8 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Sandor is not at peace but at rest (in the books). I don't like the way they did it, I think the broken man speech was poorly written, and missing all the beauty and poetry of the original. And the slaughter was typical D&D&C.

After he is done with these marauders, that is where he is headed, along with some others from the Riverlands who will be headed that way too for the same purpose.

Jon and Sansa had to beg people for their loyalty. Beg. They got owned by a ten years old girl... in a feudal society.

And then, Arya got stabbed three times and survived because no reason, while people kept screaming SO BADASS! GO ARYA!!!

Realism is something that just shows up when little girls are raped.

58 minutes ago, rosehustle1 said:

Did I read this right? Yara was making fun of Theon for his torture? This is truly disgusting. I read that she trivialized what he went through as a 'few bad years' and made fun of him for his castration.  How do the writers think this is okay? Theon was emotionally and physically damaged by a madman for four years. He would have extreme PTSD. And their message is he has to 'toughen up' and get over it?!

What's worse is that this is his sister doing this to him. If they think this makes Yara look 'badass' or empowered they are sadly mistaken.

Yara is just a man with boobs. That's how they have characterized her, to the point of making her a lesbian.

1 minute ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh, Arya getting stabbed, that killed me. She's one of the few characters I care about left.

The waif twisted the knife too, which I'm just saying aint survivable.

2 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Jon and Sansa had to beg people for their loyalty. Beg. They got owned by a ten years old girl... in a feudal society.

And then, Arya got stabbed three times and survived because no reason, while people kept screaming SO BADASS! GO ARYA!!!

Realism is something that just shows up when little girls are raped.

Yeah, I don't get any of that shit with Lyanna. We have her and Yara berating abuse victims for being captives. Why are the Northerners so against actually doing something for the North? In the books, they are planning and scheming. But in the show they could care less. And Arya has literal plot armor now.

4 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Oh, Arya getting stabbed, that killed me. She's one of the few characters I care about left.

Yeah, that fuckin sucked. I was glad to see her get back to Westeros and then that happened.

1 minute ago, Suzanna Stormborn said:

She'll just walk it off, don't worry.

She should have barely been able to pull herself out of the water.  Stabbing a belly is one thing and bad enough what with all the muscles in there, but to twist a knife just damages so much stuff you can't stand let alone walk.  Try doing a sit up without using your stomach.  that is what Arya needed to do to get out of the water.

Just now, rosehustle1 said:

Yeah, I don't get any of that shit with Lyanna. We have her and Yara berating abuse victims for being captives. Why are the Northerners so against actually doing something for the North? In the books, they are planning and scheming. But in the show they could care less. And Arya has literal plot armor now.

Lyanna is one of those things that are made for the sake of funny even if it's bad for the characters. She was cute and funny, of course, but what was the bad side? It showed Jon and Sansa  being terrible leaders that not even a ten years old girl would follow. Their meeting with Glover was just the final stab.

Unless, of course, they all change their hearts and PLOT TWIST! they suddenly show up with an army they pulled out from their asses, after they remembered they were Northerners and remembered... off camera, of course. Everything in this show happens on camera to "surprise" the audience.

2 minutes ago, JCRB's Honeypot said:

Lyanna is one of those things that are made for the sake of funny even if it's bad for the characters. She was cute and funny, of course, but what was the bad side? It showed Jon and Sansa  being terrible leaders that not even a ten years old girl would follow. Their meeting with Glover was just the final stab.

Unless, of course, they all change their hearts and PLOT TWIST! they suddenly show up with an army they pulled out from their asses, after they remembered they were Northerners and remembered... off camera, of course. Everything in this show happens on camera to "surprise" the audience.

Yeah, that's a huge complaint of mine. Everything always happens off camera and then we are just supposed to accept any 180 character change that is presented on screen. No context for anything at all. It's terrible writing.

1 minute ago, SerMixalot said:

She should have barely been able to pull herself out of the water.  Stabbing a belly is one thing and bad enough what with all the muscles in there, but to twist a knife just damages so much stuff you can't stand let alone walk.  Try doing a sit up without using your stomach.  that is what Arya needed to do to get out of the water.

Just like what I mentioned above, the show does things that make characters look good with one hand, but make others look terrible with the other.

Why Arya survived three stabs but Jon didn't? :dunno: They made the audience wait for nine months to know if Jon survived his wounds or not (which he didn't), while their favourite character just kept walking after he was stabbed three times on her stomach, which is impossible unless Arya is somehow immortal.

Maybe she is... off camera.

Archived