Discussing Sansa XXII: Porcelain, ivory, steel...

Mladen

I loved the Sansa scenes and felt like she emerged at Castle Black with a strong backbone and wanting revenge which felt totally in character and awesome. But my favorite moment was how they tempered her "badassness" with a small detail - remember when she reached for Jon's ale and he seemed surprised and she took a swig and spit it out? I loved that little moment because I feel like she reached for it so confidently and like "no really, I can handle it" and then totally couldn't. Granted it could of just tasted awful, but I felt like that little detail tempered her in a sweet way.

2 hours ago, Salad Days Saan said:

Sophie Turner is taller than at least half the dude's who've played The Mountain, and The North/The First Men are all about D.I.Y.

Damn fucking right I expect her to be on the front lines and I expect it to be awesome..  She's going to crib the Boudicca speech and it is going to fucking rule.

:D [and then she'll suplex Littlefinger through the Moon Door, like we agreed] :D

hahaha. Boudica Sansa is something id by ok with, as long as shes not going overboard. Shes never really picked up a sword, but some fights, you dont need a weapon to win or take part in. Shes got Tormund on her team too so...theres that. Suplex

1 hour ago, MoonWoman said:

I loved the Sansa scenes and felt like she emerged at Castle Black with a strong backbone and wanting revenge which felt totally in character and awesome. But my favorite moment was how they tempered her "badassness" with a small detail - remember when she reached for Jon's ale and he seemed surprised and she took a swig and spit it out? I loved that little moment because I feel like she reached for it so confidently and like "no really, I can handle it" and then totally couldn't. Granted it could of just tasted awful, but I felt like that little detail tempered her in a sweet way.

Its also to establish the Watch has shit for beer. Probably Wun Wun piss, its so bad. But the guys just got used to it. Her confidently swigging a horn of ale like a fuggin boss was nice. And she looks at the food like "hmm...." and Edd's like "yeah sorry about that." and she be all "nah it cool, dude. Really. It hella cool." made me really respect how much shes grown. 

4 hours ago, Qhorin Halfhand and Yoren said:

There is LS in the show?

I believe it is another plot that D&D don't have the time to delve into. It is obvious now that the whole "resurrection" sequence with the BwoB was a setup for Jon/Mel and not LS.

Which tells us that LS probably does not have too much end game impact and goes to the wayside, rowing that boat Gendry is on.

I would like for D&D to maybe even show us some hanged Freys in the Riverlands as an homage to UnCat but I highly doubt it. We may never see the BwoB ever again in this version of the story.

14 minutes ago, tmug said:

I believe it is another plot that D&D don't have the time to delve into. It is obvious now that the whole "resurrection" sequence with the BwoB was a setup for Jon/Mel and not LS.

Which tells us that LS probably does not have too much end game impact and goes to the wayside, rowing that boat Gendry is on.

I would like for D&D to maybe even show us some hanged Freys in the Riverlands as an homage to UnCat but I highly doubt it. We may never see the BwoB ever again in this version of the story.

I believe the BwoB actors are confirmed to be back. Thoros at least.

14 minutes ago, MakeWesterosGreatAgain said:

I believe the BwoB actors are confirmed to be back. Thoros at least.

If they are coming back this season I think the big question is will Beric Dondarion be back as well? That will tell us a lot about LS. If he is there then I think too much time passed to have him resurrect Cat. If he is not with the company, then all bets are off and there may be a chance she could be one of the many cliffhangers for this season's end.

6 hours ago, tmug said:

If they are coming back this season I think the big question is will Beric Dondarion be back as well? That will tell us a lot about LS. If he is there then I think too much time passed to have him resurrect Cat. If he is not with the company, then all bets are off and there may be a chance she could be one of the many cliffhangers for this season's end.

Apparently Beric isn't back this season according to rumours. They could be false but I'm taking that as fact.

13 hours ago, Titan said:

Not this stupid "LF jetpack" again... You do realize that time passes between and during an episode, right?

They have been pretty good about relative travel times. Back in season one it took two episodes to get from Winterfell to Kings Landing. And only one episode from Winterfell to the inn at the crossroads. (a longer distance than from the Vale to the Wall)

So... Were you complaining about jet-packs back then? How many episodes do YOU think that it should take to travel the distance???

Actually, in this instance, how many episodes it takes doesn’t matter, because we have something to judge the passage of time.

Mel leaves Stannis and goes back to the Wall. A day later, Stannis is defeated and Sansa escapes from WF.  It will take a day for Brienne to find them(max), then they go North as fast as they can, taking some precautions along the way. Let’s say they are two days behind Mel, but get there three or even four days after Mel arrives.

The day Sansa escapes someone has to send word to LF. Best case scenario, the Maester works for LF and he sends a raven. Otherwise, a rider has to go south to the Fingers to LF. Let’s chose the raven option.

It will take less than a day for a raven to get to him, a day or two for him to get to Sweetrobin, arrange for the troops and go North. Since ha has to be incognito as well, and pass through Bolton, Umber and wildling territory, it will take him a while.

So he’ll have to make the trip from the Vale to the Wall in the same amount of time it takes Sansa to reach the Wall, taking into account that he started the trip at a time when Sansa was 4 days in her journey from WF to the Wall, on horseback. Unless they stay a couple of weeks at the Wall doing nothing, he can’t get there in time.

If the Maester isn’t LF’s spy in WF, by the time he finds out Sansa escapes she’ll be at the Wall for days.

Loved loved loved episode 4! The opening scene at Castle Black was probably one of the best opening scenes the show has ever had. I really can't think of a better one. I cried when Jon and Sansa reunited. I know they're not close in the books, and that's somewhat assumed on the show, but I just really liked how Jon was like, "none of what happened when we were younger matters anymore. Your my little sis." 

Can I just say that Sophie and Kit have freaking fantastic chemistry together? I thought her and Alfie had phenomenal scenes together, but there's just something different about the way they just seem to feed off each other's energy, and that makes me like their scenes together a more. It's very genuine and translates well in terms of Jon and Sansa's relationship. 

Why are people saying they're going to separate in episode 5? Jon literally told her in ep. 4 that whatever happens, they're going to be doing it together. So, for that reason, I think Jon, Sansa, Davos and (MAYBE Mel and Tormund?) will travel to Bear Island by the end of the next episode. Not sure if Sansa will allow Littlefinger to travel with them or she's gonna him hanging out to dry at the Wall. I can't really see him or Jon getting along too well, especially since Jon knows that Littlefinger abandoned Sansa with the Boltons. 

That leaves Brienne and Pod. I'm guessing Sansa will send them to Riverrun? Pretty sure Brienne will hesitate since she's sworn to serve her but Sansa will remind her that Jon will take care of her. Then they'll make their trip to House Tully to talk with her uncle Blackfish and Edmure (pretty sure Tobias was spotted filming for this season, so I'm assuming Edmure is back). My question is, how will this tie into the whole scene where Bronn supposedly grabs Pod in the trailer? Why is he at Riverrun, and when is Jaime going to be making his way there, too? Heard rumors that Nicolaj and Gwendoline shot scenes together so I'm assuming we'll get more Jaime/Brienne stuff this season. Regardless of how it all goes down, excited for the North story arc more than anything! 

Side note- How does Jon know Sansa is married to Ramsay? I don't think it was mentioned or brought up. 

2 hours ago, iceheart91 said:

Side note- How does Jon know Sansa is married to Ramsay? I don't think it was mentioned or brought up. 

It seems as though we're to assume that the backstory was filled in between their initial reunion in the CB court yard and the next scene where they're talking alone in Jon's quarters.  If I had to guess,  they did it so that they could revisit parts of that discussion in some way later in the season and have it still feel like a fresh interaction between the two for the viewer. 

1 hour ago, bb1180 said:

It seems as though we're to assume that the backstory was filled in between their initial reunion in the CB court yard and the next scene where they're talking alone in Jon's quarters.  If I had to guess,  they did it so that they could revisit parts of that discussion in some way later in the season and have it still feel like a fresh interaction between the two for the viewer. 

Judging by Jon's reaction, I've got a feeling that Jon doesn't know the full extent of the gory details of what Ramsey did to Sansa. I also don't think he'd want to go there. His demeanor is not that of a man that knows the entirety of what happened to her. If he did he'd want to kill Ramsey.

Just now, Mandzipop said:

Judging by Jon's reaction, I've got a feeling that Jon doesn't know the full extent of the gory details of what Ramsey did to Sansa. I also don't think he'd want to go there. His demeanor is not that of a man that knows the entirety of what happened to her. If he did he'd want to kill Ramsey.

I think you're almost certainly right,  which is why I think that these things weren't directly addressed in front of the camera in this last episode and the producers are probably saving the impact of it for use in future interactions between the two. 

7 minutes ago, Mandzipop said:

Given how he reacted to the Pink Letter detailing what Ramsay wishes to do to Sansa (again) "come and see", i think you might be right. Her grabbing it, finishing reading it out loud with an almost nonchalant voice considering shes not surprised he would write that, and Jon's face...yeahhhh. Jon probably has some kind of inkling something  really fuggin gnarly took place and is not amused.

1 hour ago, Florina Laufeyson said:

Given how he reacted to the Pink Letter detailing what Ramsay wishes to do to Sansa (again) "come and see", i think you might be right. Her grabbing it, finishing reading it out loud with an almost nonchalant voice considering shes not surprised he would write that, and Jon's face...yeahhhh. Jon probably has some kind of inkling something  really fuggin gnarly took place and is not amused.

Well, seeing that Ramsay said he'd have all of his soldiers rape his sister, I think Jon knows that Ramsay himself did rape her, at least once. Ramsay also seems like the kind of guy that would brag about it too. He'd probably use Sansa's virginity to taunt Jon into fighting him.

I agree that it was great to see Sansa step up and attempt to inspire others to fight for Winterfell but Ramsey is a brutal and effective fighter with a big army. They need more than northern patriotism and rhetoric to defeat that bastard. And Jon doesn't seem all that up for it, even with the Rickon discovery.

Sansa will do the talkings with the northern houses and Jon will do the fighting, a relationship of complementarity, I like the travelers characters and she's a traveler, I like her story so much, from king's landing to the vale to moat cailin to Winterfell to the Wall and shortly to Bear island and riverrun

Archived