Cersei's Valonqar (Little Brother) [Theory - Possible Spoliers?]

"Valonqar is High Valyrian for "little brother". It is the word used by "Maggy", a maegi and fortune teller, in her prophecies to Cersei Lannister and Melara Hetherspoon"

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but the way this season is shaping up has me convinced that it is Cersei's last stand and I'd love to hear what other people think? Throughout her life she has been convinced that Tyrion is the Valonqar that will ultimately cause her demise. 

With the CleganeBowl all but confirmed and Tommen's conversion to the Faith, there are suddenly two other "little brothers" that may actually be the ones to end Cersei's reign. D&D are always super heavy handed with foreshadowing, and they've done nothing but try to convince us that this is going to be Cersei's "revenge" season. I think it is all a ruse, and a poor attempt at diverting attention. 

If the Hound beats the Mountain during CleganeBowl, Cersei will lose her trial by combat. Thus, her demise is at the hands of the "Little Brother" (The Hound). If she is sentenced to death, I have a feeling that the newly religious Tommen will call it the God's justice and carry out her sentence. Tommen is the "Little Brother" to Joffrey. 

With all these season of focusing on Cersei's love and devotion to her children, it would only be fitting to see her head on the block at Tommen's command. As a newly converted member of the Faith, he would see it as his duty to carry out the God's justice and Jamie won't be around to stop him. 

41 minutes ago, SarahLioness said:

Maybe he does not need to die, because Cersei lost him already to the faith 

Losing someone to the faith does not really cause any golden shroud to appear. And anyway, I suppose it's likely that Tommen will somehow, probably indirectly, contribute to Cersei's death, but it's really unlikely that he will kill her. Especially since he's not really a devoted believer or anything of that sort.

Also, I really don't see the Mountain dying at the hands of the Hound. Hound winning would be just unrealistic. It could happen though, that during the battle, Mountain will be revealed to the public as undead, causeing Cersei's fate to be .... quite complicated. Maybe a witchcraft accusation of some sort?

Tommen does not need to be the one to pass the sentence (does anyone currently have the authority to challenge it?) Personally I am expecting Tommen to be killed, by the Sand Snakes, and Cersei will still be sentenced to death after The Hound defeats Zombie Mountain. 

For the record, I think it will be Jamie in a recreation of killing Aerys ..... but ....

What if "brother" is referring to the one of the sparrows?  They are called brothers too.  ... just saying ....

15 hours ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

"Valonqar is High Valyrian for "little brother". It is the word used by "Maggy", a maegi and fortune teller, in her prophecies to Cersei Lannister and Melara Hetherspoon"

Sorry if this has already been discussed to death, but the way this season is shaping up has me convinced that it is Cersei's last stand and I'd love to hear what other people think? Throughout her life she has been convinced that Tyrion is the Valonqar that will ultimately cause her demise. 

With the CleganeBowl all but confirmed and Tommen's conversion to the Faith, there are suddenly two other "little brothers" that may actually be the ones to end Cersei's reign. D&D are always super heavy handed with foreshadowing, and they've done nothing but try to convince us that this is going to be Cersei's "revenge" season. I think it is all a ruse, and a poor attempt at diverting attention. 

If the Hound beats the Mountain during CleganeBowl, Cersei will lose her trial by combat. Thus, her demise is at the hands of the "Little Brother" (The Hound). If she is sentenced to death, I have a feeling that the newly religious Tommen will call it the God's justice and carry out her sentence. Tommen is the "Little Brother" to Joffrey. 

With all these season of focusing on Cersei's love and devotion to her children, it would only be fitting to see her head on the block at Tommen's command. As a newly converted member of the Faith, he would see it as his duty to carry out the God's justice and Jamie won't be around to stop him. 

Interesting theory, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some elements make it into the story.

Also, is that you with GRRM in your profile pic? If so, color me jealous you got to meet the man himself.

36 minutes ago, mattnj81 said:

Interesting theory, I wouldn't be surprised if at least some elements make it into the story.

Also, is that you with GRRM in your profile pic? If so, color me jealous you got to meet the man himself.

Yup, that's me and "the man" himself! Had the pleasure of sharing a couple of drinks with him at the hotel bar after Comic-Con. 

A prophecy highlighting the importance of little brothers, to a woman who has two little brothers? 

I don't think you can really look beyond Tyrion or Jaime here. Cool theory, but just don't think there's reason to look beyond those 2. 

My prediction is that Cersei will reach a breaking point this season, specifically when:

Spoiler

Tommen dies

and that will be what drives her to madness. 

At that point, it will be Jaime that ends up realizing that the only way to stop her madness, is to kill her. 

Also - I think she survives this season; I believe she's contracted into next year. My guess is her death will be one of those mid-season WOW moments next season. Makes sense too if you believe it's Jaime who will do it - his arc in the riverlands will last a few episodes at least

I love everyone's ideas in this thread! I hadn't even thought of Jamie as another possible "Little Brother" .... was she born first? 

1 hour ago, Warsaw said:

As far as I know, the candidates for the Valonqar position are: Tyrion, Jamie, The Hound and Arya. Don't forget Arya: Cersei's on her list, after all.

Curious as how Arya qualifies as the Valonqar (Littel Brother)? 

I personally do not think Tommen is going to kill Cersei himself, I just don't think he will do anything to stop the Faith from carrying out her punishment. I do wonder though if Tommen must die before Cersei (according to prophecy?)

4 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

A prophecy highlighting the importance of little brothers, to a woman who has two little brothers? 

I don't think you can really look beyond Tyrion or Jaime here. Cool theory, but just don't think there's reason to look beyond those 2. 

My prediction is that Cersei will reach a breaking point this season, specifically when:

Hide contents

Tommen dies

and that will be what drives her to madness. 

At that point, it will be Jaime that ends up realizing that the only way to stop her madness, is to kill her. 

Also - I think she survives this season; I believe she's contracted into next year. My guess is her death will be one of those mid-season WOW moments next season. Makes sense too if you believe it's Jaime who will do it - his arc in the riverlands will last a few episodes at least

This is a fabulous theory. Tommen dies, Cersei goes mad, and Jamie has to stop her. 

With everyone insisting that this season will be CleganeBowl, do you believe the Hound will lose to the Mountain? I feel like we've already seen that scenario once (Mountain v.s Red Viper) and they're going to do something different his time. Which is why I came up with the Hound = Little Brother theory. The Hound is ultimately the one responsible for Cersei's demise. 

12 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

I love everyone's ideas in this thread! I hadn't even thought of Jamie as another possible "Little Brother" .... was she born first? 

Curious as how Arya qualifies as the Valonqar (Littel Brother)? 

1) Yes, Cersei was born first.

2) The valyrian language is gender neutral: you may remember this from the "prince that was promised" prophecy, when Maester Aemon realizes it could mean "princess" just as well. He's talking about Daenerys.

Arya is Sansa's little sister; the Hound even adresses her this way.

8 minutes ago, Daenerys_Is_Coming said:

This is a fabulous theory. Tommen dies, Cersei goes mad, and Jamie has to stop her. 

With everyone insisting that this season will be CleganeBowl, do you believe the Hound will lose to the Mountain? I feel like we've already seen that scenario once (Mountain v.s Red Viper) and they're going to do something different his time. Which is why I came up with the Hound = Little Brother theory. The Hound is ultimately the one responsible for Cersei's demise. 

Yep - basically Jaime is the only thing stopping her from doing something insane (taking on the Tyrells, or burning down KL with wildfire, etc). The curious thing about Bran's vision montage last week, was that there was clearly one of wildfire blowing up. As far as we know, Jaime stopped the Mad King from using any of the wildfire, so I wonder if that wildfire explosion scene is foreshadowing Cersei partially trying to blow up King's Landing? 

On CleganeBowl, I just don't see it happening this season. A few reasons for it:

1 - I'm not even convinced that we are going to get The Hound back, but if we do, it'll be somewhere in the Riverlands, which leaves them 3 episodes (more like 2 if we assume Episode 9 is focused in The North) to explain him coming back, get him back to King's Landing, and re-develop the feud between him and The Mountain. I know the pacing has been increased this season, but that feels too rushed for D&D's standards. 

2 - I think we have to see The Mountain in action first, before we get CleganeBowl. A scene or two of The Mountain just slaughtering people on behalf of Cersei - The Faith Militant, The "Shame" Septa, etc. We haven't seen that yet, so I think that has to come before CleganeBowl. CleganeBowl isn't much of a big deal if the viewers aren't reminded of just how powerful The Mountain is. 

I think it's far more likely that we get The Hound back this season, but CleganeBowl is pushed back into next season sometime. As you've already mentioned, the whole "Trial by Combat" for someone prominent in King's Landing is already a plotarc that's been used in the past, and given they've re-used some old tropes already this season (Dany's scenes, especially) my guess is they will want a different solution. 

Archived