Who would be the better father?

28 minutes ago, John Doe said:

Tyrion was extremely good looking? 

I imagine he gets more action than any other dwarf in Westeros. I'd rather be the richest dwarf alive than a dwarf for any other House.

Let us not forget how shocked Penny was at how Tyrion spoke to 'big people'

"You mustn't mock him. Don't you know anything? You can't talk that way to a big person. They can hurt you. Ser Jorah could have tossed you in the sea. The sailors would have laughed to see you drown. You have to be careful around big people. Be jolly and playful with them, keep them smiling, make them laugh, that's what my father always said. Didn't your father ever tell you how to act with big people?"

There are an awful lot of positives that come with being born a son of Tywin.

Tywin is the worst of the three.  He has absolutely no respect for his daughter as a person: first he sold her off to Robert, then later he was going to do the same to the Tyrells.  He does not view her as a person but rather currency he can use to gain an advantage for himself.

Sam's sisters seem to be perfectly happy from his stories, but we don't know if any have reached the age to be married off, and if so what happened to them.  Sam got the ill treatment from his father because he wanted to live the plush life with his sisters, and to Randyll, while this was good enough for girls, it was a big no-no for a son.

George Martin apparently told Benioff and Weiss that Stannis "would" burn Shireen.  It doesn't mean he will, but he definitely would be willing to.  It seems unfair to judge someone for something they haven't actually done, but I'm still going to hold that against him here.  Plus if you're taking Stannis as a father, does that mean you have to take Selyse as your mother?  Skip the fanatics for me please.

Based on what we know, I would go with Randyll Tarly.  Not necessarily because he'd be great, but the other two are definitely bad news.

2 minutes ago, Euron's Mom said:

Tywin is the worst of the three.  He has absolutely no respect for his daughter as a person: first he sold her off to Robert, then later he was going to do the same to the Tyrells.

How is that any different to how any other daughter is treated?

Sansa was not consulted about marrying Joffrey, nor Cat Ned or even Lysa Jon Arryn.

And when did Cersei ever complain about having to marry the King of Westeros? The disapointment came afterwards, not before.

32 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

I imagine he gets more action than any other dwarf in Westeros. I'd rather be the richest dwarf alive than a dwarf for any other House.

Let us not forget how shocked Penny was at how Tyrion spoke to 'big people'

"You mustn't mock him. Don't you know anything? You can't talk that way to a big person. They can hurt you. Ser Jorah could have tossed you in the sea. The sailors would have laughed to see you drown. You have to be careful around big people. Be jolly and playful with them, keep them smiling, make them laugh, that's what my father always said. Didn't your father ever tell you how to act with big people?"

There are an awful lot of positives that come with being born a son of Tywin.

I imagine as a noble you can always talk like that to big people who aren't as highborn as you. Of course Penny sees this differently. 

6 minutes ago, Euron's Mom said:

I see what you're saying, they indeed are all like that.  There seems to be something different about Tywin though, more calculated.  He knew exactly what Robert was and gave his daughter to him anyway.

Robert was okay for someone like Cersei. 

Tywin Lannister. Competent and you would have a reason to follow him and listen to him all around a good guy...

Ned Stark will get pretty trying with all the preaching of honor and animal packs but still you wont a have a desire to kill him except occasionally...

Mace Tyrell he shouldnt be too bad could get tiresome once you are older...

Walder Frey the avarage joe lord not too bad and cares for the family...

Roose Bolton 100% better than a robert or a tytos type.

Again it all depends on wahts your personality.  Tywin/Roose will try to mold you into something they want. Mace/Ned do the same to a lower degree,Mace the ambitions and Ned the honor,different people will respond differently... As for Stannis as a child i would probably crave approval then probably start to hate him or even openly mock but thats just me...

7 minutes ago, John Doe said:

I imagine as a noble you can always talk like that to big people who aren't as highborn as you. Of course Penny sees this differently. 

Which is not really true. Look at Sam's experience at the Arbor were Lord Redwyne his court were mocking Sam to his face. Had he been the son of Tywin they would never have done so. Being the son of Tywin had its perks.

16 minutes ago, Euron's Mom said:

I see what you're saying, they indeed are all like that.  There seems to be something different about Tywin though, more calculated.  He knew exactly what Robert was and gave his daughter to him anyway.

Robert was no different in his youth  to how Harry the Heir is or many young nobles. Nobody could have predicted what a clusterfuck Robert and Cersei's marriage was, and lets be real the two of them made it far worse than anyone could have predicted.

44 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Which is not really true. Look at Sam's experience at the Arbor were Lord Redwyne his court were mocking Sam to his face. Had he been the son of Tywin they would never have done so. Being the son of Tywin had its perks.

That is true, of course, although most of Pennys fear would still come from being a commoner. 

Stannis, he's the only one who isn't abusive. Shireen might not be a happy kid, but either of the others would have treated her like dirt given what we've seen of their intolerance of imperfection in their children, whereas Stannis was probably simply distant and something of an absentee father with his role on the Small Council keeping him away from Dragonstone (assuming she lived there before AGoT). Regardless, he might be no Selwyn Tarth, but he's the only one who is unconditionally accepting of his offspring.

That said, I'm an eldest son, so Tywin wouldn't necessarily treat me with contempt. But he's still an awful person and treats his children as political pawns.

Dickon Tarly actually turns out quite well from what little we've seen of him, so it looks like despite his being a terrible person, Randyll is actually a capable parent when he wants to be. But I'm certainly more a Sam than a Dickon so Randyll would probably have threatened to kill me too

ETA: Actually, on second thoughts: Tywin, purely for the chance to stab him in the back at an opportune moment and watch him struggle to comprehend betrayal by his own flesh and blood

Tywin, there's nothing about me he'd seem to have a problem with and I'd get to be a Lannister. Same with Tarly except less prestige and wealth so no real point in choosing him. 

Not that Tywin would have much to do with raising me anyway, once you hit manhood become a knight with vast wealth and don't marry any lowborn people. 

Comfy. 

If Stannis burns his daughter, and that's a big if, it will be a horrible father move on the highest degree... but if it's with the full belief that her sacrifice will save the living from the dead then his LOVE FOR HER won´t be diminished, just his sanity and unfanatism (those are going out of orbit)

no higher sacrifice can be made, not even his own life

4 minutes ago, Laughing Storm Reborn said:

If Stannis burns his daughter, and that's a big if, it will be a horrible father move on the highest degree... but if it's with the full belief that her sacrifice will save the living from the dead then his LOVE FOR HER won´t be diminished, just his sanity and unfanatism (those are going out of orbit)

no higher sacrifice can be made, not even his own life instead

Puh-lease. He cares little about her safety or happiness, he cares about his status.

The knight hesitated. "Your Grace, if you are dead — "
" — you will avenge my death, and seat my daughter on the Iron Throne. Or die in the attempt."

Not get her to safety but die in some attempt to fulfill my vanity of me and mine getting the Crown. Little to do with sacrificing her for the greater good.

51 minutes ago, Kolx said:

At least Stannis treats his daughter with some respect so him,

Does he? I don't see it myself. And while you can make the argument that Randyll and Tywin don't treat their children with respect they sure as shit seem to have had a happier childhood than poor Shireen. Even Sam and Tyrion.

1 hour ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

Does he? I don't see it myself. And while you can make the argument that Randyll and Tywin don't treat their children with respect they sure as shit seem to have had a happier childhood than poor Shireen. Even Sam and Tyrion.

I'm glad you're willing to concede that "the argument can be made" that a man who is willing to murder his son or have his daughter in law gang raped might not be treating their children with the utmost respect.

8 hours ago, Starfell said:

I'm glad you're willing to concede that "the argument can be made" that a man who is willing to murder his son or have his daughter in law gang raped might not be treating their children with the utmost respect.

He's willing to murder his son? You mean he is willing to let justice be done for Tyrion murdering Tywin's grandson, the King.

32 minutes ago, thelittledragonthatcould said:

He's willing to murder his son? You mean he is willing to let justice be done for Tyrion murdering Tywin's grandson, the King.

That probably referred to Tarly being willing to have Sam die in a "hunting accident".

Personally I think that if you were able to at least somewhat act and grow up in a way the lord father was happy with then both Tarly and Tywin would be fine, at least they'd supply a much more fruitful environment than Stannis did (and could) to Shireen. I am fairly certain that if Sam had been at the very least adequate with a sword Randyll wouldn't had minded. And well in case of Tyrion I think the father and son ended up in a vicious circle in which their dislike for one another grew over time due to a plethora of events. I think the eventual fallout could had been averted at a fairly late stage too. Also Tywin was much more accepting of Tyrion than Randyll was of Sam, he after all let Tyrion do pretty much what he wished with his coin and his paid men on Tyrion's side (well except for going to Essos).

Archived