Post show Battle analysis

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

That's plot armor.  Hell, he fell from his horse moving at a full gallop and didn't even sprain his wrist or ankel.

So its nothing more than that?  I can't see them purposely going to the extent that they did just for plot armor, it looked pretty clear to me that he had more going on there, hell like I said at one point he stops and looks around and nothing is coming near him, no way even with plot armor.

2 minutes ago, W1NT3RF3LL said:

So its nothing more than that?  I can't see them purposely going to the extent that they did just for plot armor, it looked pretty clear to me that he had more going on there, hell like I said at one point he stops and looks around and nothing is coming near him, no way even with plot armor.

What "powers" that we're aware of in Westeros would cause that?  Is Jon warging the horses of all the cavlary before him?  Is he warging the arrows that are falling around him?  It's plot armor.

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Because it's realistic to have the Arrynhirm ride in at literally the last second to save the day?  D&D have made Westeros seem so small.  You can get anywhere almost literally overnight.

You watch a show that has dragons, vagina monsters, vision trees, time travel, and magic, and you want to moan about realism? 

4 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Oh okay, thought it was meant for Winterfell.

The character favoritism is really getting out of hand at this point. Valar Morghulis, except if you have a large fanbase.

It might work if in the next season, people of the north start calling Jon the man tho beat death, the one who was protected, the invincible fighter bla bla... You know... To make the campaign look better. 

4 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

You watch a show that has dragons, vagina monsters, vision trees, time travel, and magic, and you want to moan about realism? 

Yes.  Yes, I do when it breaks the willing suspension of disbelief.  When it doesn't make sense.  Hell, you can use your quote to argue we ought to have some stormtroopers drop in and side with the Starks to let them take the North.  Hell there are already "dragons, vagina monsters, vision trees, time travel, and magic" why not throw in some blasters and guys with plastic armor?

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What "powers" that we're aware of in Westeros would cause that?  Is Jon warging the horses of all the cavlary before him?  Is he warging the arrows that are falling around him?  It's plot armor.

I don't know, but I find it very hard to believe with plot armor you would purposely have him take his sword out in front of a 1000 mounted charging horses in which not one hits him.  I just think there is more going on there.  

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

28 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

In these posters' defense, when Jon was gettin attacked left and right by riders, after somehow managing not to get any arrows in him and then he storms Winterfell without getting an arrow from the garrison in him, I did suddenly start to feel like he had some very nice plot armor.

It pretty much mimics Tyrion's battle on the Green, (staying low, though not intentionally, hiding by the horse) but also, I don't think the Garrison guards wanted to hit Jon, and even if they did, he was pretty much underneath Wun Wun during the siege. That poor guy took the brunt of all the attacks. Even inside, all the arrows that got slung came from Ramsey. His men just froze. Although everyone says how cunning Ramsey was throughout this whole battle, he also clearly seemed to have planned for a castle siege and yet he has no hot oil ready to go at the gates? That might've been the difference between Jon getting in or not. at least for a while.

2 minutes ago, TickTak7 said:

Yes, because there are different kinds of consistency.

There's internal consistency, as in dragons and magic being real

And external consistency with the outside world.

We have seen in previous episodes and even in this one that not having a helmet, not wearing armor and not having a horse can lead to your death, yet somehow Jon brekas all the rules of the episode.

1 minute ago, W1NT3RF3LL said:

I don't know, but I find it very hard to believe with plot armor you would purposely have him take his sword out in front of a 1000 mounted charging horses in which not one hits him.  I just think there is more going on there.  

We will have to wait for the book for more details. Don't expect that from the show.

1 minute ago, CalvoHobbo said:

It pretty much mimics Tyrion's battle on the Green, (staying low, though not intentionally, hiding by the horse) but also, I don't think the Garrison guards wanted to hit Jon, and even if they did, he was pretty much underneath Wun Wun during the siege. That poor guy took the brunt of all the attacks. Even inside, all the arrows that got slung came from Ramsey. His men just froze. Although everyone says how cunning Ramsey was throughout this whole battle, he also clearly seemed to have planned for a castle siege and yet he has no hot oil ready to go at the gates? That might've been the difference between Jon getting in or not. at least for a while.

This makes very little sense

It made for interesting TV except for the overly CGI parts (the march of the pike man to surround the forces and the knights charging looked really off to me).  Considering how good the close in camera work was though, I can over look this.

If you try to actually think about the tactics they don't make any sense at all, nor does the plot device of the Vale army sneaking up on Winterfell.   I think most of what happened was for plot reasons: certain people needed to be in the North for next season, and there is need of lots of corpses for when the Others come past the wall next season.

The part of me that prefers a good story would have preferred a bit of the North remembers, even if it was just in response to watching Ramsey murder his own men.

50 minutes ago, Soccer69 said:

Well there is all this and the fact that Jon believed Rickon and Bran had been killed up until episode 2 or 3 of this season. So, Jon has dealt with not being able to help save his father, his brother, and some of his brothers in the Watch. So, to ask him not to do anythign there would be an issue.

Also, in the episode no one has a problem with Jon riding out to save Rickon. Its the fact that once Rickon dies, Davos and tormund all yelled no and knew what was going to happen. If jon had just ridden back to the line that would have been great. Obviously that route would have involved dodging some arrows (which he managed to do during the entire battle) and ignoring his nature (which not one person would have in this instance).

This!

Jon knew that Ramsay would do something to make him angry. He was warned by Sansa but didn't listen. Sure, he was compelled to try to save Rickon but he was seriously stupid not to fall back in line with his army knowing that  it would mean a greater chance of success and a greater chance of actually killing Ramsay. 

On another note and I don't know if Wun Wun has been mentioned but I'm also hugely disappointed with how he dealt with the spears & shields. That was pathetic really like he was trying to swat a few moths away without hurting them. He could've lifted each rod up (each rod had at least 4 guys holding it) and chucked them individually. RIP Wun wun :( 

Positive things:

Really good shots of the horses charging! Amazing to watch.

Excellent battle strategies by Ramsay.

Dragons were great too, although a bit weird that they completely know exactly what Dany wants them to do via some kind of magic Targaryen telepathy. But I liked it nevertheless. Yara awesome too & good hand shake technique.

14 minutes ago, Jon Snow Bengal said:

On another note and I don't know if Wun Wun has been mentioned but I'm also hugely disappointed with how he dealt with the spears & shields. That was pathetic really like he was trying to swat a few moths away without hurting them. He could've lifted each rod up (each rod had at least 4 guys holding it) and chucked them individually. RIP Wun wun :( 

Yep, I was expecting the same.

Regarding the dragons, I thought Dany just bonded with Drogon (allowing her to mount him and drive him wherever she wanted to go), and the other 2 were just following him. Like those cows with the bell that lead the rest. Appart from that, the three of them knew to answer to the dracarys command. It's a fantasy story, so I don't bother too much whether it makes sense or not.

52 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Yes, because there are different kinds of consistency.

There's internal consistency, as in dragons and magic being real

And external consistency with the outside world.

We have seen in previous episodes and even in this one that not having a helmet, not wearing armor and not having a horse can lead to your death, yet somehow Jon brekas all the rules of the episode.

I think that was done purposely because there is something more to it, but people are saying plot armor, which I totally disagree with because of how much emphasis they put on his scenes in particular.  He was made to look super human not a plot device where, "Oh that was a close call."

2 minutes ago, W1NT3RF3LL said:

I think that was done purposely because there is something more to it, but people are saying plot armor, which I totally disagree with because of how much emphasis they put on his scenes in particular.  He was made to look super human not a plot device where, "Oh that was a close call."

The new Westeros "can't get hit by arrows or lances" magic?

Archived