Am I the only one who liked the Mereen part better?

Just now, Future Null Infinity said:

Yes, it's true, Deadpool of merreen have no honor

One of you must die. Psych! gonna kill two of you. And you, let your people know that the Queen of Dragons is not a woman of her word and has shit for honor.

16 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

2. Tyrion's influence on Danny - I miss Ser Jorah.  He seemed to give her the facts and let her decide.  Tyrion seems to be telling her what to do.  Tyrion is smart and clever but to me, his influence diminishes her, while Jorah's guidance seemed to make her more queen-like, queenly?

So you believe that Dany's plan to burn all cities along Slavers Bay to the ground because a handful of rich men opposed her was a smart and queenly one? 

Should she burn every house to the ground that ever opposed the Targaryens like she said to the Dothraki horde? 

We see and hear time and time again that small folk suffer the most during war. Small folk who did not cause these wars, have no influence in the wars, are the ones who die and suffer the most in these wars. The same small folk that Dany claims to champion. Yet now she wants to burn their homes and kill them all because their lords/masters disagree with her. 

20 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

2. Tyrion's influence on Danny - I miss Ser Jorah.  He seemed to give her the facts and let her decide.  Tyrion seems to be telling her what to do.  Tyrion is smart and clever but to me, his influence diminishes her, while Jorah's guidance seemed to make her more queen-like, queenly?

That is because Jorah loved her and like a fool in love let her get away with being all insane. Dany quite clearly needs a whole lot of diminishing. She is not fit to rule a girls softball team, she is a sociopath, a narcissist and has absolutely no sense of honor. Maybe having Tyrion Cricket on her shoulder will help her learn how not to be so terrible.

29 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

Dany doesn't even need the Unsullied or Dothraki to help her; she can wipe out the Others and their army in one afternoon with her dragons.

You are assuming that the others have no weapon against dragons.

I loved both parts of the show, but have to admit that BoB wins if I had to pick one.  The direction and camera work were amazing.  That one shot of Jon raising his sword ready to take out whoever he can in the advancing cavalry before dying was one of the best shots I've ever seen in any show or movie.  The mud, blood, emotion,  tension, fight choreography and effects - both practical and CGI, came together so well.

BUT - I loved the Mereen battle as well.  It was a bit short since virtually everything was CGI.  I know others have said "we've seen this before - dragons save the day - again", but for me, this was necessary as it's the first time we've really seen all of Danny's forces come together and win the day.  We've all assumed, but as this is TV, they needed to show what kind of force she was taking west.  Would it have been better if it took another ten or so minutes for her to win - sure - but they don't have a Marvel movie budget.  Their entire season budget is probably less than what Robert Downey Jr. get for one Avengers film.

So - if I have to choose one, BoB - but thank god(s) I don't have to choose just one.

5 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

I am, and why would they have a weapon? They are ice, what can ice do against fire made flesh?

I don't know. But I would have to imagine that the fight wouldn't be totally one sided. If a dragons wing froze it would come falling to the ground. Also,

Spoiler

there is a possibility of ice dragons if you are a book reader and they might cause some interesting problems

but mostly just thinking out loud.

Truth is, the only powers that seem to actually matter on the show are bad writing and gurl power.

I don't know. But I would have to imagine that the fight wouldn't be totally one sided. If a dragons wing froze it would come falling to the ground.

I like to think the fight wouldn't be one sided as well, but as of now we haven't seen the Others display any abilities that would give dragons any problems at all. Granted, we know very little about what the Others are capable of, but like I said, they seem susceptible to dragonfire in general, so I'm not sure what chance they would stand. The only thing they could hope for is that dragons behave like giant reptiles and basically shut down in cold weather, but since dragons are said many times to be burning hot to the touch, they don't seem to function this way.

Spoiler

there is a possibility of ice dragons if you are a book reader and they might cause some interesting problems

True, I've been a believer in this theory, but the more I think about it, the more I don't think it's going to happen. Now, if one of Dany's dragons were to die... We don't really know how that would work.

Truth is, the only powers that seem to actually matter on the show are bad writing and gurl power.

Agreed, dragonfire and the winds of winter pale in comparison to the power of the bad poo-say.

I liked how the Mereen portion played out, but I didn't like how they got to it.

Dany arrives at night riding Drogon.  Drogon did nothing that evening.

Dany and Tyrion are talking when it is light out so at best the next morning.  Drogon still has done nothing.

Dany wants to parlay, so some time was spent organizing the meet.  The catapulting was still ongoing.  Drogon still has done nothing.

Dany and gang have to travel (apparently on foot) to the meeting location which appeared to be well away from the city.  Drogon still has done nothing.

They chit chat for a little bit with Drogon flying around in the background, but still taking no action yet.

He lands and Dany climbs aboard, and they finally start wrecking some havoc.

Why didn't Dany and Drogon start defending her city within minutes of arriving.  Nope, innocent people should die because she needed a bigger entrance.

It was easily my favorite part but I'm very biased since Dany's storyline has always been far and away the most compelling to me. I love the mission she's on and all the change she's gone through. Granted, the show writing doesn't compare to the books but Emilia Clarke, Ramin Djawadi's music and the visuals make up for a lot. Plus even though there are major differences I still use the books in my mind, especially all the access GRRM gave us to Dany's internal struggle and masked fears, to fill in a lot of gaps on the show. 

4 hours ago, DirewolfDave said:

Well I think the Dragons are supposed to be 'auto-win'. Everyone is getting mad at dany ex-machina lately, and I understand since it's pretty much been repeating since season 1 finale. But i kinda get the feeling people are missing the biggest point here. She is auto-win. If the show was REALLY about her going to get the Iron Throne back, there is no contest. Nothing in westeros would stand a fraction of a chance. They might have dorne hold out for a bit or something(since they always like to reference Dorne remained unconquered in Aegon's conquest) but ultimately with her Dragons and Army she would win the Iron Throne without much contest.

What's my point? It's that that is NOT the point. Against the armies of Westeros Dany has nothing to fear. Against an army of undead and White Walkers she has yet to even HEAR of............? THAT is where the drama will come in.

I don't think she'll be much worried about an army of undead. How do you kill the undead? Fire. That would just leave the Others to be finished off with dragonglass and valyrian steel.

Both featured lazy manipulation for dramatic effect opposing all semblance of logic (see hidden dragons and a deliberately hidden army).

Both sequences were extremely well done from a technical perspective.

For me, the Winterfell battle is better for being clearer about the details and tactics and creating a greater human aspect at its heart.

On the other hand, the Winterfell battle's Sansa problem remains a very, very black cloud that hangs over it.

In a way I both admire the Winterfell battle more and despise the Winterfell battle more.

Clear as mud  :lol:

19 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Both featured lazy manipulation for dramatic effect opposing all semblance of logic (see hidden dragons and a deliberately hidden army).

Both sequences were extremely well done from a technical perspective.

For me, the Winterfell battle is better for being clearer about the details and tactics and creating a greater human aspect at its heart.

On the other hand, the Winterfell battle's Sansa problem remains a very, very black cloud that hangs over it.

In a way I both admire the Winterfell battle more and despise the Winterfell battle more.

Clear as mud  :lol:

To me, besides the Sansa problem, is the numerous chances Ramsay had to kill Jon which he didn't take, most notable being when he shot Wun Wun in the eye while Jon was RIGHT THERE. I know Sansa said he likes to toy with people, but come on!

22 minutes ago, Aegonzo The Great said:

To me, besides the Sansa problem, is the numerous chances Ramsay had to kill Jon which he didn't take, most notable being when he shot Wun Wun in the eye while Jon was RIGHT THERE. I know Sansa said he likes to toy with people, but come on!

Agreed.

Also, the entire courtyard by that point was filled with Stark forces. None of them did anything during the time in which Ramsay was allowed to pick out an arrow, hold up his bow and loose said arrow that could should have been aimed at Jon.

It was ludicrous  :lol:

The CG in Mereen was heaps better than the North. Wun Wun has always been composited a little poorly.

And, thankfully, the facial animation on the dragons this year is much better.

I hope no-one but Dany ever goes dragon riding - I think her god like dragon moments (although repetitive) are exactly the point. She is godlike on dragon back, albeit a destructive god who is one head of the end of the world.

7 minutes ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

Agreed.

Also, the entire courtyard by that point was filled with Stark forces. None of them did anything during the time in which Ramsay was allowed to picked out an arrow, hold up his bow and loose said arrow that could should have been aimed at Jon.

It was ludicrous  :lol:

I also loved how Sansa, who since then was beside Littlefinger and both were even farther away from Winterfell, teleported inside the castle 10 seconds after Jon broke through the gates.

Archived