[Spoilers] Criticize Without Repercussion - one last time ;o)

On 27/06/2016 at 4:53 AM, Nami said:

Some show watchers think R+L=J means Robert wat

Lady Pumpkin thought the baby was Robert's. She's very unsullied. Had to explain to her that Rhaegar is Khaleesi's brother, and Robert would therefore possibly kill the baby. Had to say Khaleesi, every time I say Dany, Lady Pumpkin be like; What? Who's Dany. 

On 27/06/2016 at 5:05 AM, Neds Secret said:

We got L=J, the R part is very much undecided from the shows perspective!

Maybe it is Robert + Lyanna = Jon.

Lyanna was delirious and could foresee the Lannisters killing all of Robert's children. Because Bran was there. 

So, R+L=J confirmed but not as you think. 

58 minutes ago, The Knight in Motley said:

Wow, actual consequences?  I don't know if you can do that..the vast majority of the major players would be dead.

The Sand Snakes are butched by Hotah, even with a knife in his back.

Davos flat out murders the Red Woman in Episode 1, Jon has to struggle with executing him for murder or not, all the while dodging Nights Watch who want to burn his body before he becomes a WW.  He still comes back to life (reasons) without a haircut: Therefore He won't have a manbun.

The northern lords instantly rally around Sansa, because they remember.  They easily take a mostly empty Winterfell, because Ramsey is a Psychopath and garners zero loyalty.

Blackfish dies on screen.

A bloated, infested body of a young westorosi girl whose been stabbed to death washes up on a pier in Braavos, and is taken to the house of B/W.

Littlefinger gets thrown out the moondoor for lying to Sweetrobin and Royce about some bullshit Bolton kidnapping and losing Sansa. Gilly is instantly accepted into the Citadel so they can study her incredible slow-growing child.

Sam gets arrested for theft and hung while his father looks on.

The Tyrell's follow through with their military coup, and spare the High Sparrow so Cersei will still go to trial.  While they are at it, they sacrifice the 20 good men it would take to butcher Ser Gregor the Zombie no one loves.

Cersei and Pycelle sneak out, and then...Kings Landing explodes and burns to the ground when a drunk watchmen stumbles into a warehouse full of wildfire.

I love this! Just goes to show how a small writing mistake here and there can be acceptable, but when the mistakes start growing in numbers and size, the consequences are gigantic. Something like this is what should have happened, and, unsurprisingly, it does not resemble what we got at all. I can understand a show watcher defending small mistakes or ones that seem unimportant etc., but right now the whole show is just one big mistake, and ignoring it is folly, in my opinion.

I think those who have already posted hit the high spots.  Overall, I loved the episode.  However, I agree that Arya showing up to kill Walder Frey was way too teleporty and that it would have been better to have Arya show up in the first episode next season with a more thorough depiction of her killing Frey boys, making the pie, and killing Walder.  Also, Varys' teleporting was so fast that it was especially problematic.  My non-reader spouse, who does not catch the finer points in the program said of Arya, "but, wait, wasn't she just over in that other place (Bravos), but now she's over here (Riverlands)."  Just seeing Varys with the Snakes and Olenna suffices to indicate the forthcoming alliance without his returning in time to Mereen to leave with Dany's armada.  Surely, Varys could better spend his time in Westeros.

I do like that Cersei did not blow up all of KL so that we have further action to arrive at Dany's vision from the House of the Undying.    

Oh also, what is with leaving Dario N. in charge of Mereen?  Aren't the Second Sons essentially nomadic mercenaries?  Why would Dario and the SS want to stay in Mereen and govern that crap hole?  What would give Dany confidence that Dario would be any kind of leader? Stoops. Know she had to ditch him (and I'm very glad he's gone), but that was silly.  

Yeah Dario should have died heroically in Mereen if he was going to be ditched anyway, it would have made more sense than how things panned out. She should have left the Dothraki in Mereen and taken the mercs with her. I imagine taking some reasonably civilized professional soldiers to Westeros would be far better for your PR and war effort that a horde of undisciplined raping savages with no ability to fight armored warriors. Not to mention that feeding a few thousand mercs would be a whole lot easier than feeding 100k men and their horses in a land covered in snow with no available food.

6 hours ago, ummester said:

Ha - and you can? The difference between plagiarism and inspiration is a very fine line, that often comes down to little more than perception. I'd rather be a reductionist than pretentious, or worse, deluded.

Welp. I'd dispute the fine line between the two, but I'm not sure how worthwhile an argument it would be in regard to the distinction when, as premises, both are nebulous and also [as you say] a matter of individual perception. 

Likewise regarding your ideas of high vs low with Tolkien as a specific exemplar of the former, but that at least is a more interesting discussion. I distinguish between the two somewhere between the degree of magic, realization of thematic elements and overall scope of the narrative in a secondary world -but readily admit it might be a personal interpretation rather than what is generally accepted- and Martin meets all those for me just as Tolkien does. In Tolkien's case however, if I prescribed to rather romantic and dated ideals about nobility, as a concept and class; to the humble, earth-born struggle of the common [sic] man and the notion of Evil™ without nuance of moral ambiguity or redeeming quality, then yeah, I'd probably spit out something rather simplistic and deem it an epitome of high as well.

Such charming and naive notions don't count though, in my opinion, as demarcations between the two... But I'm prepared to drop it as we're clearly not going to agree.     

---

And don't think I didn't notice your skirting around the historical and mythological influences to Tolkien's act of artistic creation. :P

11 hours ago, Lord Syv Aldlark said:

Yes except it wouldn't make much sense that a character as defiant and strong willed as Cersei would willingly keep her hair the length that those who defied her and made her walk for shame made it 

From martin himself interviewed about the show:

"There are symbolic aspects to the Walk of Atonement or the Walk of Shame," Martin explains. "You're naked. You have nothing to hide. All concealment has been denied you. Your hair has all been shaved off. You're completely vulnerable. There's nothing more to hide ... That's the spiritual justification for this sort of thing."

"People didn't see the kings and their lords very often except when they passed by in their incredibly lavish items," continued Martin. “When you take all of that away from a Queen like Cersei, who, up till then has only been seen by her subjects as this incredibly beautiful woman attended by maids and protected by knights, it’s a way to strip her of all of the power that attends to her majesty.”

So yes if a decent amount of time has passed I don't expect her hair to be still kept short...

Never mind that if we consider the time it takes for...

Jamie to return. Myrecella's funeral, raising the troops to attack the Sept, Jamie going to Casterly rock to get the army ((as if the Lannister army was at KL the Tyrell army wouldn't have been needed for raising troops to attack the sept. Jamie taking army from Casterly rock to rivverrun to lift the siege, then to the twins to have dinner with Frey. Then left at x-time to see the remains of the fire and the coronation of Cersei.

We're talking a few months. 

Forget hair, why would her trial be so far away?  I honestly can't remember if that is explained in the show or if the time of trial is said. 

Time is a fickle thing in a story. It might not seem important but it is for the sheer fact that eventually most of these storylines are going to start colliding. 

I mean you already see it.. 

Queen of Thorns knows about her families death yet the Maesters know nothing about Jeor Mormonts death and Jon snows succession.. which means in the years they say have passed in show no one sent a raven? 

Note hand waving about Aemon doesn't necessarily work either as he knew his duties as a Maester. Jeor died in the fourth episode of the third season Aemon died the seventh episode of the fifth season. 

Jon is elected LC Season 5 episode 2 while Aemon is still alive and lucid enough to at least hold the election.

Doesn't strike you as odd? 

She didn't keep her hair shaved.  She had it quite obviously cut in a nice hairstyle.  And, if you know anything about hair, you know it's awkward to grow it out again after you have it cut short. 

The Maesters not knowing was an indication of bureaucracy (not altogether different from what Sam encountered in the books before the Spinx whisked him away).  The implication of that scene is that many maesters at the citadel may know who the Lord Commander is.  The pen pusher Sam encountered wouldn't accept it as fact because it wasn't written in his big book. This tells you there is a stodgy and bureaucratic element of the citadel, again, 100% consistent with the books.

21 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

She didn't keep her hair shaved.  She had it quite obviously cut in a nice hairstyle.  And, if you know anything about hair, you know it's awkward to grow it out again after you have it cut short. 

:rofl: That is priceless and stunningly anachronistic.

47 minutes ago, Forlong the Fat said:

The Maesters not knowing was an indication of bureaucracy (not altogether different from what Sam encountered in the books before the Spinx whisked him away).  The implication of that scene is that many maesters at the citadel may know who the Lord Commander is.  The pen pusher Sam encountered wouldn't accept it as fact because it wasn't written in his big book. This tells you there is a stodgy and bureaucratic element of the citadel, again, 100% consistent with the books.

I agree. She looked great. She especially looked great in the below scene when they dressed her all in black:

Archived