Acrophilia 15 (Back to the Vintage Version) - AND THE WINNER IS ...

Julia H.

Happy New Year, everyone!

I'm extending the deadline again, because I'm waiting for The Answers That Were Promised. :P:D I'm planning to post the answers to the clues some time tomorrow, my time (whenever I'm able to do it).

A word of encouragement: It can be done. The characters and the theme are actually solvable (if difficult).

And now, Ladies and Gentlemen, a special New Year's theme hint:

I could say the theme was inspired by the title of something written by P. G. Wodehouse. (It wouldn't be strictly true, I mean the inspiration part, but it would work.) I hope this will inspire you.

Just now, Castellan said:

I guess I can eliminate golf stories and pig breeding as themes. 

:lmao:Now you have considerably reduced the works to look up.

Oh, and by the way, all you need is the title!

join the club, Gabe my friend...i am cramming as i did for biology finals so i could pass the 11th grade....good luck to us both...i am sure i am spending more points than you...hahahhahaha

:smoking:

Hahaha this is true, I won't be spending points on questions but that may be to my detriment ultimately! I've just sent in a new clue. Now to crack these crazy clues. At nearly 1am. On the final day of a twice-extended deadline. I'll be lucky to get half of these right haha!

ROUND THREE ANSWERS

Vote for your favourite clue!

Theme: (Male) Characters who have rescued various women.

1. “Wer imagines naked young amazon.” Motley-burner!

Lothor Brune (rescued Sansa from Marillion’s unwanted advances)

Wer means ‘man’ in Old English. The first part of the clue refers to (the highlighted parts of) a dialogue between Sansa /Alayne (who has noticed that Lothor likes Mya Stone) and Myranda Royce:

Alayne: Do you think Ser Lothor likes her as she is, in mail and leather? Or does he dream of her draped in silks and velvets?
Myranda: He's a man. He dreams of her naked.

The second part of the clue refers to the fact that it was Lothor who threw a torch on the body of Ser Dontos after Ser Dontos had been killed in order to cover up all traces of Sansa’s whereabouts.  Being a fool, Ser Dontos was (probably) wearing motley clothes.

2. Wounded. Infamous nickname. Yesterday's absconder, 'morrow's burier?

Sandor Clegane (rescued Sansa from the mob)

The clue refers to Sandor’s wounds, the Hound moniker, to the fact that he fled from the Battle of the Blackwater and to the Gravedigger theory.

3. Walker invalidator. Needs yon academic mentor's backing.

Samwell Tarly (rescued Gilly and her son from the White Walkers)

He killed an Other (White Walker) and he is currently in the Citadel.

4. Wretched in nuptials. Yonder, a malefactor banished.

Jorah Mormont (rescued Dany several times)

Two unlucky marriages, then he falls in love with a woman who just doesn’t consider him eligible. Banished from Westeros for breaking the law.

5. Winter's Inglourious niño. Yearning always...mother...birthright.

Jon Snow (rescued Alys Karstark from her uncle)

The clue refers to the film Inglourious Basterds to indicate Jon’s bastard status.

6. Crown's dalliance, orphan collector.

Gendry (rescued Brienne in a fight from Biter)

He is a king’s bastard, and he has recently worked in the inn at the crossroads, which has been turned into a refuge for orphans.

7. Counter detained overturning chalice.

Tyrion Lannister (rescued Catelyn Stark during the fight against the mountain clans)

Purple Wedding reference

8. Commander's disguise - often common.

Barristan Selmy (rescued Dany)

He has worn disguise on several occasions – usually dressed as a commoner.

9. Westy is notorious. (Youthful assassin!) Missing - brotherhood?

Jaime Lannister (rescued Brienne from the bear)

He is indeed notorious, he was young when he killed Aerys, and he is currently missing - because of a certain brotherhood. (He also kind of lost the rest of the brotherhood of the Kingsguard and he has missed this true brotherhood ever since he killed Aerys.)

10. Conqueror(?) dreams of corpses.

Theon Greyjoy (rescued Jeyne Poole)

He has (sort of) conquered Winterfell, then, as he is sleeping in Ned Stark’s weirwood bed, he dreams of a feast with the dead. (Admittedly trying to identify someone by the fact of dreaming of corpses is not a good idea in ASOIAF though.)

Theme hints: While the characters are all men, the theme refers to women as well (women are not men); and the Wodehouse novel’s title is A Damsel in Distress.

Congratulations to all who solved the theme!

Please, note that clues #1 and #10 are not eligible for votes.

Deadline for voting: 8 p.m. (Central European Time) on Friday 6th January (tomorrow).

12 minutes ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

No wonder I didn't get #1. Motley-burner isn't the person saying the quote. That is, perhaps, an unwise structure to a clue.

I highlighted wer and explained in a separate post that the subject of the clue is the wer, not the amazon and not the person saying the quote. I confess I didn't think of the possibility that, after this, motley-burner would be interpreted as additional information about the speaker of the quote rather than as additional information about the subject of the clue.  

3 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

That went rather poorly for me. tough clues, or I am not smart. Was it Brienne who Gendry rescued?

No. Gendry actually saved Brienne from Biter by killing him. I know cause I looked up Gendry (as a character with limited page time) when I was desperately searching for a theme. I'd forgotten all about it. Gendry the Hero!

Counting your points has taken me a bit longer than I had expected, and now it's late and I'm tired, so I've decided to post the results in the morning. Until then, thanks for your patience.

11 hours ago, Raisin' Bran said:

Take your time. You are an excellent host.

Thanks.

11 hours ago, Dolorous Gabe said:

My points, or lack thereof, should at least be easy to count up. 

:D It wasn't just the sheer bulk of the points in general that overwhelmed me. Since it was Friday night, I absolutely needed to chill out a bit, and I thought it would be a good idea to listen to music on YouTube while counting the points. The listening turned into watching and basically I spent my time in adoration of a magical voice (and the singer), :blush: which did slow down the counting considerably, and sometimes I even had to go back and count the same things again. Anyway. here are the points finally:

1. “Wer imagines naked young amazon.” Motley-burner!   Julia H.

2. Wounded. Infamous nickname. Yesterday's absconder, 'morrow's burier?  rocksniffer

3. Walker invalidator. Needs yon academic mentor's backing. Lady Blizzardborn

4. Wretched in nuptials. Yonder, a malefactor banished.  Dolorous Gabe

5. Winter's Inglourious niño. Yearning always...mother...birthright.  She Who Must Be Obeyed

6. Crown's dalliance, orphan collector.  Ser Not Appearing

7. Counter detained overturning chalice.  Raisin' Bran

8. Commander's disguise - often common. Fragile Bird

9. Westy is notorious. (Youthful assassin!) Missing - brotherhood?  Castellan

10. Conqueror(?) dreams of corpses. Julia H.

NAME/

SCORE

Guessing points (3/clue)

Theme (max 4)

Bonus points

Author points

Favourite clue

SPENT (Minus)

TOTAL

rocksniffer

-

Lady Blizzardborn

Dolorous Gabe

-

-

-

-

SWMBO

-

Ser Not Appearing

-

Raisin’ Bran

-

Fragile Bird

-

Castellan

-

Here I want to mention that I made a mistake with Clue 1, which Raisin' Bran discovered: Ser Dontos, the fool, compelled to wear motley by Joffrey, defied this order after Joffrey's death and was dressed like a knight on the night he died; consequently Lothor didn't burn motley clothes. To reward this discovery I refunded two points of the ones that Raisin' Bran spent and I also refunded one point to everyone else who spent points on this clue.  

STANDINGS

1. SWMBO                78+32=110

2. Fragile Bird           72+33=105

3. Castellan               73+30=103

4. Lady Blizzardborn  60+29=89

5. rocksniffer              66+20=86

6. Ser Not Appearing 60+23=83

7. Raisin' Bran           63+16=79

8. Dolorous Gabe      53+7=60

This round seems to have been more difficult than the previous ones, but you faced the challenge with courage and perseverance (even though you were understandably distracted by the holiday season). Congratulations to Lady Blizzardborn, who solved the clues and the theme ahead of everyone (still in 2016) and submitted the only perfect set of answers this round. Her clue was also the most popular one in a round where all your clues were high-standard and creative. The winner of the round with the most points is Fragile Bird, who, due to her discombobulation because of the holidays, started to tackle the clues quite late during the round but surprised me with - well, that's not really true, she didn't surprise me at all - she elegantly submitted a near perfect set of answers without spending points on questions at all. SWMBO, however,  won almost as many points as Fragile Bird, with the result that she is still in the lead. The Bird is not far behind though, overtaking Castellan, who is running close on her heels now. Meanwhile, competition is fierce in the chasing pack as well, with the order of competitors undergoing a dramatic change. Now the penultimate round is about to start and still anything is possible, so keep your books close at hand and your search engines open.  

Archived