Acrophilia 15 (Back to the Vintage Version) - AND THE WINNER IS ...

Julia H.

On 12/13/2016 at 10:45 AM, Raisin' Bran said:

Thanks for that update. I think I have the theme but am having a very hard time with some of the clues fitting the theme.

I'm back to my usual no-clue-what-the-theme-is status. You'd think I'd be better at a game I inspired. *shakes head, gets dizzy, reminds self not to shake head today*

4 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

i have several answers but no freaking idea of theme...

<insert a generic rant> to the author of #2...  <_<

:smoking:

*checks which number clue was mine* Ah, all clear.

Sorry you're having trouble with that one, rocksniffer. It was actually one of the first ones I got.  *smirk, gloat, smirk*

well my sweet Lady Blizz i think i got theme in last 4 hours...and i think i solved #2...though i have words i am saving for after the reveal...

and now that i think i know theme my answer to #9 is blown out of water...

I solve the problem of answers not matching themes by guessing extremely vague themes that could fit most of the characters in the series. For example: "characters with vowels in their names" only rules out those of Ghiscari descent. :D

I'd actually rather get all the answers right and not get the theme than get the theme and have wrong answers. Mine is a strange kind of perfectionism.

19 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

well my sweet Lady Blizz i think i got theme in last 4 hours...and i think i solved #2...though i have words i am saving for after the reveal...

and now that i think i know theme my answer to #9 is blown out of water...

I think #2 is pretty damn obvious. It was #9 which drove me crazy and only getting the theme meant I could get it. Prior to that I had a list of about 6 possibles.

The deadline passed several hours ago. Some players haven't had time to complete the puzzle, which is understandable at this time of the year. Still, no one has asked for an extension. I think I will post the answers within an hour or so unless someone asks me to wait.

ROUND 2 CLUES AND ANSWERS

1. Ran away? Snatched? (Fiancé is storming.) Northern siren. 

Lyanna Stark It is still a question whether Lyanna went with Rhaegar willingly or not. Robert, the storming Storm Lord, is the fiancé.

2. Necrosis concreting extension - indubitably luckless.

Jon ConningtonReference to greyscale.

3. Nearsighted, crippled, eventual identity, "lefty".

Jaime LannisterThe first word means “rash, not thinking ahead’, while lefty refers to Jaime’s efforts to make his left hand more skillful.

4. Robust anointer. Ser “Fleeing Impossible”. Safeguard, not scrutinize.

Ser Gerold Hightower, the White BullA very strong man; as Lord Commander of the Kingsguard, he fastened the white cloak about Jaime’s shoulder; he told Ned “The Kingsguard does not flee”; and he also warned Jaime that they were sworn to protect the king, not to judge him.

5. Necessarily covert. Ephemeral identities. Lefty.

Arya Stark As “No one”, she often has to change her identity. She is left-handed.

6. Recalcitrant and stubborn female is soldierly, not sultry.

Brienne of TarthCharacter description

7. Rebellion aroused - subjects found ignition sickening. Notoriously slain.

Aerys II Targaryen, the Mad KingHis cruelty set the rebellion in motion when he killed Rickard and Brandon. His death is a famous if ugly story.

8. "Recruited." Assassin. Seriously faces issues speaking noteworthy saying.

Jaqen H’gharHe is introduced to us as a Night’s Watch “recruit” with Yoren. Being an assassin is his profession. When he teaches Arya the phrase “valar morghulis” he discusses (“faces”) some serious issues – such as whether Arya could go with him etc.

9. "Really, avoid stories. Force? I show nuanced subtlety."

Roose Bolton A paraphrase of his words in this dialogue:

Roose: People fear you.

Ramsay: Good.
Roose: You are mistaken. It is not good. No tales were ever told of me. Do you think I would be sitting here if it were otherwise? Your amusements are your own, I will not chide you on that count, but you must be more discreet. A peaceful land, a quiet people. That has always been my rule. Make it yours.

10. Noble centaur enjoys illicit liaison.

Brandon Stark (Ned’s brother) Lady Dustin compares Lyanna and Brandon to a pair of centaurs because of their riding skills. The illicit liaison was with Barbrey herself.

11. Recent Advisor stays, fighting injustice (slavery). Ninepenny slayer.

Ser Barristan SelmyDany’s most recent advisor, fought in the War of the Ninepenny Kings, where he killed the last Blackfyre pretender.

Theme: Characters that have been to Harrenhal.  

Please, vote for you favourite clue until 4 p.m. (Central European Time) on Thursday 22nd December - that's 48 hours and a half from the present moment.

Clues #4 and #10 are not eligible for votes.

Archived