US Politics: The Transition Continues

Altherion

9 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Also, Trump literally uses his power as POTUS to advance his business interests in meeting with Scotland

This should be an impeachable offense, I believe.

It probably is. 

"The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them."

Article 1 Section 9

4 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It probably is. 

"The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be increased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them."

Article 1 Section 9

That's more applicable to the foreign diplomats staying at his hotel. This I think falls under something else. Corruption? Abuse of power? Both are mentioned in various impeachment proceedings.

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That's more applicable to the foreign diplomats staying at his hotel. This I think falls under something else. Corruption? Abuse of power? Both are mentioned in various impeachment proceedings.

Honestly I think he wants to get impeached or be forced to step down. Not putting his businesses into a blind trust is going to bring him down. 

1 minute ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Honestly I think he wants to get impeached or be forced to step down. Not putting his businesses unto a blind trust is going to bring him down. 

His children are blindly loyal to him. Is that blind enough?

Honestly I think he wants to get impeached or be forced to step down. Not putting his businesses unto a blind trust is going to bring him down. 

Yaaaaay, President Pence - Culture Warlord of the Holy American Empire. Can't wait!

I've heard others say this, but I have no idea why.  I haven't seen any indication that he doesn't want the job.  He simply wants it on his terms, with those terms having terrifying implications. 

4 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

I've heard others say this, but I have no idea why.  I haven't seen any indication that he doesn't want the job.  He simply wants it on his terms, with those terms having terrifying implications. 

Yup. He is the epitome of a fucking man child. The dude is a fucking spoiled sack of shit. 

6 minutes ago, Dr. Pepper said:

Or not that he didn't want it but that even he thought he had as much chance of winning as a one legged man winning an ass kicking contest .  Terrifying indeed. 

9 minutes ago, R'hllor's nasty lobster said:

Yaaaaay, President Pence - Culture Warlord of the Holy American Empire. Can't wait!

He scares me more honestly. 

18 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

It probably is.

That just says that the President's salary cannot be changed while he is in office and that the US cannot give him additional stuff. It does not apply to situations like the Presidents owning a DC hotel or using a trip to a foreign country to conduct private business (although the latter has got to be illegal under some law or other).

Also, until he is inaugurated, he is not actually President. The President-elect is, in theory, just an ordinary citizen who will be President in a couple of months so I doubt the rules applying to a President apply to Trump today. He might get impeached if he keeps doing this after January though.

From a sketchy About.com article:

In the past, Congress has issued Articles of Impeachment for acts in three general categories:

Exceeding the constitutional bounds of the powers of the office.

Behavior grossly incompatible with the proper function and purpose of the office.

Employing the power of the office for an improper purpose or for personal gain.

How on earth is it not #3?

5 minutes ago, Altherion said:

That just says that the President's salary cannot be changed while he is in office and that the US cannot give him additional stuff. It does not apply to situations like the Presidents owning a DC hotel or using a trip to a foreign country to conduct private business (although the latter has got to be illegal under some law or other).

Also, until he is inaugurated, he is not actually President. The President-elect is, in theory, just an ordinary citizen who will be President in a couple of months so I doubt the rules applying to a President apply to Trump today. He might get impeached if he keeps doing this after January though.

Not sure that's accurate. He can be seen to be using his power and influence as POTUS. There's really no distinction to be had; all he has to do is insinuate that he wants something done, and the impropriety exists whether he is POTUS or PEOTUS. 

As an example, when Obama won the Nobel Peace Prize it would have been inappropriate if he had won it from another country, but was technically probably okay because he won it from a private organization. And he avoided any issue anyway by donating the award. 

8 minutes ago, Altherion said:

Thank you for the the clarification .  That makes a lot of sense .  

I'm not a lawyer, but I get the feeling that a lot of this stuff there isn't actually a law against because nobody expects a POTUS to be so shameless as to actually do.

Then again, a lot of Presidents probably did exactly this sort of thing. I'm thinking like Warren G Harding for example?

5 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Thank you for the the clarification .  That makes a lot of sense .  

Also, the Emolument clause is a bit more than what Altherion said. The full text is this:

Emoluments Clause. No Title of Nobility shall be granted by the United States: And no Person holding any Office of Profit or Trust under them, shall, without the Consent of the Congress, accept of any present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State.

Now, congress can consent to all of these things - but they actually have to consent. The typical rule is that if you can't get it by a simple handoff (like a christmas present) then you have to report it.

5 minutes ago, White Walker Texas Ranger said:

I'm pessimistic and think Trump will more likely than not win a second term.

I think we'll throw Corey Booker, hoping for Obama 2.0 when he's more like Obama 1.57 Beta test version.

I disagree like Hillary Cory gets alot of hate in the "Bernie" wing on social media and whatnot for being a "corporate stooge with progressive social views". I think it will be Castro as he has this "poor kid raised by his mom who made his way" that the media love to eat up plus I think Warren doesn't have the "it" Bernie had

Archived