U.S. Politics 2016: "You Suck!!!" "No, you Suck!!!"

Ser Scot A Ellison

1 minute ago, LongRider said:

While I haven't worked it trades per se, I have worked in warehousing and have learned to love forklift drivers. Forklift drivers can be really skilled and while the work isn't in anyway glamorous, it's important.  I've seen wages and job security and all that slowly erode for them and it just pisses me off so much. 

Fighting right to work laws helps, but unions have been demonized for so long that understanding why a RtW law is pernicious is hard to explain anymore.   Sigh, this a huge issue for me, but it should be huge for the people who voted against their own self interest this time too. 

They always vote against their own self-interest. I don't understand it, either. 

4 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

Didn't ya hear, only the Second Amendment matters. The rest of the bill of rights can just go to hell, evidently.

Well, lucky us that we dodged that bullet of Clinton takin' our gunz!!! then.  Whew!  Lucky us!

Oh, wait....

4 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Yes, well, us libtards believe in the Second Amendment, too. The Trumpsters had best keep that in mind. They're not the only ones with guns. 

Yes, it makes me laff when the Repubs think liberals don't have guns.  LOL, suprise! 

18 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Edit: OVT was Occupational and Vo-Tech. Home Ec was part of that and everyone, girls and boys, had to take it. 

Ah thanks!  Sounds like a really great approach. 

8 minutes ago, LongRider said:

Yes, it makes me laff when the Repubs think liberals don't have guns.  LOL, suprise! 

And unlike some of these right wing militia clowns, some of us liberals actually know how march with them, while chewing bubble gum at the same time, without falling down and hurting ourselves.

2 hours ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

I think my daughter is going to have a huge case of buyer's remorse when she realizes that she could have knocked out most of her core classes at community college and I could have paid cash for her to do that--cutting her debt load in half. 

I went the CC route for my BS degree and have to say it is a smart approach for me, with tuition and other costs being so high.  It wasn't just the costs that benefited me either, it was the smaller classes, the easier access to tutoring, counselors and other services that were also very useful. 

22 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Deep down, this is what they want. They truly believe that they'll be the lucky ones who are exempt from whatever Trump cooks up and they'll be the privileged class. It's like the preppers who believe that, despite all odds, they'll be among the survivors of a nuclear holocaust or comet strike. 

There's some truth to this. Almost all of the people that are taking the "wait and see" approach are in groups that Trump and his supporters haven't expressed disdain for. 

2 minutes ago, OldGimletEye said:

And unlike some of these right wing militia clowns, some of us liberals actually know how march with them, while chewing bubble gum at the same time, without falling down and hurting ourselves.

I would hope that anyone who has a firearm trains with it and is familer with it.  Why would political affiliation affect how careful someone is or is not with a firearm?

26 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

I'm on the fence about the need for pre-K education. Our kids spend most of their lives in school. What I really object to is homework in preschool, and yes, both of my kids had it. It's ludicrous. Where is the evidence that education at that age improves their chances of getting into college and future success (which is ill-defined anyway)? 

Maybe we should just let out kids be kids and let them explore their innate love of learning without making them hate school by shoving it down their throats. There's more than enough time for their lives to be that structured. 

Just my two cents on that. 

I've never heard of Early-Childhood education needing to be focused on anything 'academic', to the level of needing homework (sounds perverse, really.) From my understanding, It's more basic interactions and experiences that need to happen at an early age, like play, exploration, a lot of interaction with adults and other children, access to toys and tactilities, being read to, etc. The defecit kids get is when they're, say stuck in one place all day, being watched but not played with, for example by busy parents, or nurseries with a lot of children per caretaker, so there's no space or time for anything but basic care - children are kept in cots and fed and little beyond that, for example. There's a fair amount of evidence that affects long term cognitive outcomes. We're not talking homework in preschool, we're talking healthy basic development processes, which need to provided for and sometimes aren't in situations of poverty, lack of childcare and working parents, etc.

11 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

LOL Yeah, how many guns did Obama confiscate in 8 years?

Heck yeah!  That damn Obummy!  He took my, ah, my, ah...he took........

Damn it Cat Lady, perhaps you're not so crazy after all.

~~~~grumble grumble outsmarted by a crazy cat lady, again!~~~

3 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I would hope that anyone who has a firearm trains with it and is familer with it.  Why would political affiliation affect how careful someone is or is not with a firearm?

I don't know. Ask conservatives.

Any way, that wasn't my point. Just poking fun at these right wing militia's a little bit. 

7 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's some truth to this. Almost all of the people that are taking the "wait and see" approach are in groups that Trump and his supporters haven't expressed disdain for. 

Yet.

13 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Right.

Also, just what are we waiting for? For Trump to stop being the man he is and become someone else? Call me jaded, but I don't expect too many 70-year-olds to change that much.

15 minutes ago, Datepalm said:

I've never heard of Early-Childhood education needing to be focused on anything 'academic', to the level of needing homework (sounds perverse, really.) From my understanding, It's more basic interactions and experiences that need to happen at an early age, like play, exploration, a lot of interaction with adults and other children, access to toys and tactilities, being read to, etc. The defecit kids get is when they're, say stuck in one place all day, being watched but not played with, for example by busy parents, or nurseries with a lot of children per caretaker, so there's no space or time for anything but basic care - children are kept in cots and fed and little beyond that, for example. There's a fair amount of evidence that affects long term cognitive outcomes. We're not talking homework in preschool, we're talking healthy basic development processes, which need to provided for and sometimes aren't in situations of poverty, lack of childcare and working parents, etc.

Okay, that makes more sense, then. :) And those things are definitely important at that age. If kids don't acquire certain cognitive and linguistic skills by a certain age, then they never really catch up. So I do get what you're saying here.

In cases of real poverty, iron deficiency anemia is also a barrier to early childhood learning. Proper nutrition is equally important. 

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I think Trump will be terrible.  I hope I am wrong.  I'm not encouraged at this time.

In other news, the transcript of the meeting of the minds of the New York Times and PEOTUS has come out and it's well, it's...ahh, judge for yourself;

TRUMP: O.K. Well, I just appreciate the meeting and I have great respect for The New York Times. Tremendous respect. It’s very special. Always has been very special. I think I’ve been treated very rough. It’s well out there that I’ve been treated extremely unfairly in a sense, in a true sense. I wouldn’t only complain about The Times. I would say The Times was about the roughest of all. You could make the case The Washington Post was bad, but every once in a while I’d actually get a good article. Not often, Dean, but every once in awhile.

Look, I have great respect for The Times, and I’d like to turn it around. I think it would make the job I am doing much easier. We’re working very hard. We have great people coming in. I think you’ll be very impressed with the names. We’ll be announcing some very shortly.

3 hours ago, mormont said:

And he wasn't done there!

The conservative response to this is an old 2005 bill co-sponsored by Clinton, which proposes jail time and fines for anyone found burning/desecrating a flag.The loss of citizenship is a bit over the top though, of course Trump doesnt understand what that entails.

Of course, Clinton doesnt hold any government positions right now and they are wrong to bring that up, but I wish she hadnt done some of her more 'pandering' stuff in the past.

3 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

The conservative response to this is an old 2005 bill co-sponsored by Clinton, which proposes jail time and fines for anyone found burning/desecrating a flag.The loss of citizenship is a bit over the top though, of course Trump doesnt understand what that entails.

Of course, Clinton doesnt hold any government positions right now and they are wrong to bring that up, but I wish she hadnt done some of her more 'pandering' stuff in the past.

But she co-sponsored a flag desecration law that called for jail time? That's disappointing.

Archived