U.S. Politics 2016: "You Suck!!!" "No, you Suck!!!"

Ser Scot A Ellison

Yes, it was called the flag protection act of 2005, with a punishment of 1 year in jail and a fine of 100,000.

You know, I wonder if part of this isn't just epic trolling by Trump, where he proposes something outrageous (after looking into Clinton's record), media goes into a tizzy, and then conservative sites brings up Clinton's past, and we go into an entire cycle of this garbage. In the meantime all conflicts of interest and disarray are given short shrift.

One of the worrying aspects of Trump's comment is the casual equation of a short jail sentence - unpleasant and disproportionate as that is - with loss of citizenship, which is an enormous consequence. OK, he's probably just firing up his supporters with that one, but it's hard to pick out genuine ignorance from just not caring about the consequences of what he says, and neither is a good thing.

Is he going to be using the POTUS account like this? Does he not realise that unlike what he said as a reality TV star, what he says as President has real consequences?

20 minutes ago, Crazy Cat Lady in Training said:

Okay, that makes more sense, then. :) And those things are definitely important at that age. If kids don't acquire certain cognitive and linguistic skills by a certain age, then they never really catch up. So I do get what you're saying here.

In cases of real poverty, iron deficiency anemia is also a barrier to early childhood learning. Proper nutrition is equally important. 

Oh, yeah, not even getting into early nutrition, iodine, vitamin A, protein, iron, etc. I'd guess that that's less of an issue in developed countries even in situations of poverty, but the availability or lack thereof of early childcare and parental circumstances might be a more prominent factor in places like, say, the USA, that have poor provisions for parents and high childcare costs.

2 minutes ago, mormont said:

One of the worrying aspects of Trump's comment is the casual equation of a short jail sentence - unpleasant and disproportionate as that is - with loss of citizenship, which is an enormous consequence. OK, he's probably just firing up his supporters with that one, but it's hard to pick out genuine ignorance from just not caring about the consequences of what he says, and neither is a good thing.

It's interesting the sort of stuff Trump has to say to fire up his supporters. Like:

Supporting torture.

Supporting draconian laws against free speech.

Hmm.

5 minutes ago, mormont said:

Is he going to be using the POTUS account like this? Does he not realise that unlike what he said as a reality TV star, what he says as President has real consequences?

Probably no, because I don't think he will control it, but he will continue to use his personal account like this.  And yes, he realizes it but doesn't care.

4 minutes ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Probably no, because I don't think he will control it, but he will continue to use his personal account like this.  And yes, he realizes it but doesn't care.

See, no matter what your political views, I tend to think that the idea that the person elected to be US President is just plain irresponsible should be giving you chills.

22 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Yes, it was called the flag protection act of 2005, with a punishment of 1 year in jail and a fine of 100,000.

You know, I wonder if part of this isn't just epic trolling by Trump, where he proposes something outrageous (after looking into Clinton's record), media goes into a tizzy, and then conservative sites brings up Clinton's past, and we go into an entire cycle of this garbage. In the meantime all conflicts of interest and disarray are given short shrift.

It was also basically toothless; it required that if you did burn the flag you were doing so in order to incite violence or terrorism - and that would be the federal law. It was a shitty move by her, but it was also a basically totally harmless law.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He's been President-elect for three weeks and he's already calling for revoking people's citizenship. When will the people who are downplaying the dangers of a Trump presidency going to wake up? 

57 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

There's some truth to this. Almost all of the people that are taking the "wait and see" approach are in groups that Trump and his supporters haven't expressed disdain for. 

I think the answer is, and I'm paraphrasing slightly: They'll wake up when "they" come for them and there is no one left to speak for them...

That's a bit jumbled, even for paraphrasing!

From the NYT article, context is questioning Trump on his thoughts and approach to climate change. Manhattan as an island is used as an example of how one area could be affected;

TRUMP: You know the hottest day ever was in 1890-something, 98. You know, you can make lots of cases for different views. I have a totally open mind.

My uncle was for 35 years a professor at M.I.T. He was a great engineer, scientist. He was a great guy. And he was … a long time ago, he had feelings — this was a long time ago — he had feelings on this subject. It’s a very complex subject. I’m not sure anybody is ever going to really know. I know we have, they say they have science on one side but then they also have those horrible emails that were sent between the scientists. Where was that, in Geneva or wherever five years ago? Terrible. Where they got caught, you know, so you see that and you say, what’s this all about. I absolutely have an open mind. I will tell you this: Clean air is vitally important. Clean water, crystal clean water is vitally important. Safety is vitally important.

And you know, you mentioned a lot of the courses. I have some great, great, very successful golf courses. I’ve received so many environmental awards for the way I’ve done, you know. I’ve done a tremendous amount of work where I’ve received tremendous numbers. Sometimes I’ll say I’m actually an environmentalist and people will smile in some cases and other people that know me understand that’s true. Open mind.

A mind so open his brains are literally falling right out of his mouth.

9 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

I think the answer is, and I'm paraphrasing slightly: They'll wake up when "they" come for them and there is no one left to speak for them...

To channel Martin Niemöller:

First they came for the Muslims, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Muslim.

Then they came for the Mexicans, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Mexican.

Then they came for the Liberals, and I did not speak out - because I was not a Liberal.

And then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak for me.

But hey, we've never seen that one play out before.

I came to General looking for a thread about the stabbings at Ohio St. campus.....there are none. Where's the cries for banning and regulating vehicles and cutlery? 

I'm down the middle on guns as you guys know. I feel the 2nd amendment should be protected, but there is no reason for anyone to own a machine gun or Uzi (i know nothing of guns and dont own one.), or even carry one around town. But, OSU shows that when extremists want to kill, they will. No gun needed.

Very, very surprised this doesn't have it own thread.

10 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

I came to General looking for a thread about the stabbings at Ohio St. campus.....there are none. Where's the cries for banning and regulating vehicles and cutlery? 

I'm down the middle on guns as you guys know. I feel the 2nd amendment should be protected, but there is no reason for anyone to own a machine gun or Uzi (i know nothing of guns and dont own one.), or even carry one around town. But, OSU shows that when extremists want to kill, they will. No gun needed.

Vehicles are regulated.  

Are you arguing that because other items are used in murders/ murder sprees that guns should not be regulated (beyond no Uzis I mean)

More from the NTY article;

DOUTHAT: I guess that’s my question is, how much do you expect to be able to both run an administration and negotiate with a Republican-led Congress as a different kind of Republican. And do you worry that you’ll wake up three years from now and go back to campaigning in the Rust Belt and people will say, well, he governed more like Paul Ryan than like Donald Trump.

TRUMP: No, I don’t worry about that. ’Cause I didn’t need to do this. I was telling Arthur before: ‘Arthur I didn’t need to do this. I’m doing this to do a good job.’ That’s what I want to do, and I think that what happened in the Rust Belt, they call it the Rust Belt for a reason. If you go through it, you look back 20 years, they didn’t used to call it the Rust Belt. You pass factory after factory after factory that’s empty and rusting. Rust is the good part, ’cause they’re worse than rusting, they’re falling down. No, I wouldn’t sacrifice that. To me more important is taking care of the people that really have proven to be, to love Donald Trump, as opposed to the political people......

Let's let this sink in; "To me more important is taking care of the people that really have proven to be, to love Donald Trump."

Wow.

9 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

You should start one.  Definitely worth discussing.

Just now, butterbumps! said:

Vehicles are regulated.  

Are you arguing that because other items are used in murders/ murder sprees that guns should not be regulated?

I just stated that I am for regulation in my post. But, the argument that the removal of guns will stop or even decrease attacks like these take a hit by what transpired at OSU. I was just stating my wonder of this not being discussed in this board. When there is a shooting there is always a thread to show our condolences and frustration of guns in our society. But a stabbing attack doesnt warrant the same? Just found it odd.

1 hour ago, TrackerNeil said:

Right.

Also, just what are we waiting for? For Trump to stop being the man he is and become someone else? Call me jaded, but I don't expect too many 70-year-olds to change that much.

Very true. That said, I'm becoming more worried about the people surrounding Trump than Trump himself. It would be one thing if he made Corker his SoS and Ayotte his SoD, but the people he's selecting are really scary. Muslims and migrants really have every right to be terrified.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I think Trump will be terrible.  I hope I am wrong.  I'm not encouraged at this time.

He's going to be a disaster, and the sad part is, I can't find any enthusiasm to hope that he isn't. 

45 minutes ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Pretty much. I fear that the masses will only wake up once it's too late. 

Archived