NBA 2017: The Kings of Comedy

Jaime L

8 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

This is definitely a tricky position for Ainge to negotiate. They have to thread a lot of needles. And maybe they end up with shitty picks, no elite players, and a spiral into mediocrity at the end of all this. I think I still agree with Ainge keeping the picks if those were the asking prices.

I agree mainly in the sense that Butler or George doesn't get them past Cleveland in my mind. And they'll get another shot at them this offseason and presumably the price will be lower.

Just curious how they play it if the Brooklyn pick does hit and they end up with either Fultz or Ball...who I guess now move to being the 2 next to Isaiah? Or do they offend the Karma gods by trading Isaiah.

2 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

So Simmons just has a huge man crush?

Simmons might trade Brown/Smart for Durant/Klay. He'd at least hear the Warriors out.  

18 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Simmons might trade Brown/Smart for Durant/Klay. He'd at least hear the Warriors out.  

When he's the GM of the Supersonicseries? Lol. I truly believe he wants that job if they get a team (which I think they will). And, call me crazy, but I think he'd be a hell of a GM.

3 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

When he's the GM of the Supersonicseries? Lol. I truly believe he wants that job if they get a team (which I think they will). And, call me crazy, but I think he'd be a hell of a GM.

I think you're nuts. You're a big fan of people with spree-killer eyes, aren't you?

27 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I agree mainly in the sense that Butler or George doesn't get them past Cleveland in my mind. And they'll get another shot at them this offseason and presumably the price will be lower.

Just curious how they play it if the Brooklyn pick does hit and they end up with either Fultz or Ball...who I guess now move to being the 2 next to Isaiah? Or do they offend the Karma gods by trading Isaiah.

If I was doing my best Belichick impression as GM of the Celtics, and I got the first pick, I'd move Isaiah. I love love love watching him play. But this team's ceiling is limited if he's their best or even second best player. I've already seen what happens in the playoffs, and how much abuse can he take? He'd be battered to shit over the course of a long playoff run. But then I know even less basketball than Simmons.

18 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

If I was doing my best Belichick impression as GM of the Celtics, and I got the first pick, I'd move Isaiah. I love love love watching him play. But this team's ceiling is limited if he's their best or even second best player. I've already seen what happens in the playoffs, and how much abuse can he take? He'd be battered to shit over the course of a long playoff run. But then I know even less basketball than Simmons.

I wouldn't say that, Simmons just has opinions. But, his Book of Basketball is great and us worth the read for any real NBA fan. I'm coming around to your side of thinking Dante.

ETA: and trading Thomas sounds like classic Hoodie move. And, as I said, Steven's reminds me of that same kinda evil genius.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

But then I know even less basketball than Simmons.

This is one of the most bizarre statements I've seen in these threads in recent memory. It's like saying Greg Popovich doesn't know how to coach or appointing Scott Pruitt as the head of the EPA. 

Just...huh? I understand not liking someone, but denying that they have obvious MOUNTAINS of knowledge on a topic is the epitome of being a hater. 

16 minutes ago, Relic said:

This is one of the most bizarre statements I've seen in these threads in recent memory. It's like saying Greg Popovich doesn't know how to coach or appointing Scott Pruitt as the head of the EPA. 

Just...huh? I understand not liking someone, but denying that they have obvious MOUNTAINS of knowledge on a topic is the epitome of being a hater. 

It was a joke. I like Simmons plenty, and mostly non-ironically.

Alright so the Heat were once 11-30. Now they're 30-34 and pretty much thrashed the Cavs both games of a back-to-back. I mean maybe this potential 1-8 matchup in the East could have just a little spice to it. At what point does Lebron not want to deal with Waiters Island? Because you know when both are out there, Dion Waiters absolutely thinks he's the best player on the floor. 

If you don't think I want to see The King go against a crazed Pretender in the 4th quarter of a first round playoff series, you're sadly mistaken my friend. 

That would be a very nice match up but I think Miami is more likely to finish 5th or 6th if this continues.

They are only 1 game behind haphazard Chicago & Detroit and 2 behind an Indiana team limping to the finish line, that is all very doable. Even no. 5 seed Atlanta, 4 wins ahead, is within sight.

In other news, Andrew Bogut broke his leg in the first game for the Cavs. Karma, is what the buyout critics, will say.

11 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Alright so the Heat were once 11-30. Now they're 30-34 and pretty much thrashed the Cavs both games of a back-to-back. I mean maybe this potential 1-8 matchup in the East could have just a little spice to it. At what point does Lebron not want to deal with Waiters Island? Because you know when both are out there, Dion Waiters absolutely thinks he's the best player on the floor. 

It's crazy, but that's what happens when Dion Waiters finally puts it all together.

2 hours ago, Calibandar said:

In other news, Andrew Bogut broke his leg in the first game for the Cavs. Karma, is what the buyout critics, will say.

The Bogut Cavs era literally lasted less than a minute.

5 hours ago, Calibandar said:

That would be a very nice match up but I think Miami is more likely to finish 5th or 6th if this continues.

They are only 1 game behind haphazard Chicago & Detroit and 2 behind an Indiana team limping to the finish line, that is all very doable. Even no. 5 seed Atlanta, 4 wins ahead, is within sight.

Yeah, very possible. Would much rather the Wizards get the tired old, one star Pacers or Hawks in round 1 than whatever has gotten into the Heat. I don't get it - you look at their roster and the only guys who seem even marginally above average are Dragic, Whiteside and Waiters but they just keep winning, even against the best teams. 

47 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

I don't get it - you look at their roster and the only guys who seem even marginally above average are Dragic, Whiteside and Waiters but they just keep winning, even against the best teams. 

I think they have a situation similar to Boston, where they're not as talented as other top level teams, but the pieces fit well together, they're very well coached and they're giving maximum effort on a nightly bases (it's also important to highlight that they had a lot of injuries earlier in season, hence their terrible start). I suspect that once the playoffs roll around they'll come crashing back to Earth. 

Waiters Island! I like in the podcast Simmons had with KD, KD says that Waiters honestly and truly believes he's the best player on the planet. And, KD had to tell him, "Calm down man, you're not even the 3rd option on the team." God, I loved that. And, I love any irrational confidence guy. Jamal Crawford, dude from the Rockets in the 90's, damn can't think of his name....Vernon something or other maybe? 

4 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Mad Max Vernon Maxwell. He probably had the talent to be a great. Notorious attitude issues though. 

I'm remembering the Gary Payton + weight vs Maxwell incident.

Yes, Mad Max. Thank you. Iover those type of guys. And, when the get hot, the do look like the best player on the planet is the thing. 

2 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Yes, Mad Max. Thank you. Iover those type of guys. And, when the get hot, the do look like the best player on the planet is the thing. 

Might even put a young JR Smith in this category. Maxwell was a far better player but Nuggets JR Smith could look like Kobe Bryant for 3-5 minutes at a time.

4 minutes ago, DunderMifflin said:

Might even put a young JR Smith in this category. Maxwell was a far better player but Nuggets JR Smith could look like Kobe Bryant for 3-5 minutes at a time.

The guy that came to mind for me was Baron Davis.  That guy could go OFF.

Archived