Three-eyed crow before Bloodraven

55 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

How can BR have thee eyes? Well, it's rather simple... he was a well-known sorcerer even in his youth. He only lost the one eye he lost when he was... what, 21/22? So, before he lost the eye, and after he opened his third eye, he "had" three eyes. 

I actually think that losing his eye is probably what "fully opened" his third eye. I think the same is true of the one-eyed whore Yna.

And while I agree with your whole response, I think you are even doing too much work to justify BR having 3 eyes with this logic. Regardless of how many working eyes he had upon unlocking his telepathic gifts, his new "eye" would still always be his "third" one. He got his first 2 eyes when he was born, and any additional eyes thereafter can be counted in incremental numerical sequence, regardless of the stabbed/unstabbed status of any eyes already present, in my opinion. :D 

Just now, 40 Thousand Skeletons said:

I actually think that losing his eye is probably what "fully opened" his third eye. I think the same is true of the one-eyed whore Yna.

And while I agree with your whole response, I think you are even doing too much work to justify BR having 3 eyes with this logic. Regardless of how many working eyes he had upon unlocking his telepathic gifts, his new "eye" would still always be his "third" one. He got his first 2 eyes when he was born, and any additional eyes thereafter can be counted in incremental numerical sequence, regardless of the stabbed/unstabbed status of any eyes already present, in my opinion. :D 

Yes, that makes perfect sense, agree wholeheartedly. :)

On 7/13/2017 at 5:51 PM, ravenous reader said:

Nice.  What do you think is the relationship of the trees to the dragons which you mentioned?  Perhaps as the natural enemy of the trees, the renewed dragon presence acts like an antigen stimulating the tree immune system, as it were, to produce more weirwoods (and more Others) to counteract them, akin to mounting an immune response, in the spirit of @Voice's miasma theory ('every song needs its balance').  The same dragons threatening to burn them to the ground in future, also act as magical fertilizer for the trees, stimulating their proliferation -- Who said 'dragons plant no trees'...!   ( @hiemal...you might enjoy this thought, given you're so captivated with 'pounding the planet'...:P)

I am enthralled by it. :D

Dragons make woe and not wine, but like the volcanic eruptions I theorize spawned them, they leave fertile ground watered by blood in their wake. Which allows for the proliferation of weirwoods and begins to tip the balance back the other way.

3 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

I like the analogy.  However, if skinchanging is like wifi, by which I take it you were implying that a remote connection could be established without having to be 'plugged in' directly to the 'cable,' then why can't the wolves sense each other when they're on opposite sides of the Wall?  

The wards in the wall 

What's the significance of the cave of weirwood roots without any trees above ground?

The weirnet is very much alive, even in the south where the trees have been cut down. It would go a long way to explain Jaime's stump dream 

So it's also warded against the direwolves?

Anything not the CTOF or the humans who learned their magic 

I think you may be right.  It seems to be Jon/Ghost struggling to pick up his siblings' signals rather than Bran/Summer.  I need to look over those particular passages more carefully -- maybe I'll make a topic sometime.

Excellent 

Thank you for the superlatives!  What might be the significance of the crow being cagey about being a crow?

the Crow is really an old man living in a tree root ball and visiting an 8 year boy old in his dreams. Not.Creepy.At.All.

Sometimes you have a sweet way of saying you disagree with me completely (or in other words that I'm speaking ****).  I have trained you well... ;)

I love it when you talk dirty :spank: :drool: :devil: :wub:

4 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

Symbolically, Drogon perches on the mantle of the weirwood-and-ebony door like Edgar Allan Poe's enigmatic raven in the poem of the same name 'The Raven,' who like Hodor, as @Unchained has noted, famously utters only one word, 'Nevermore' (it even rhymes with...

Thats good, I never figured out why that parallel existed.  Hodor has already let them out of the crypts as nice foreshadowing too.  I still think Bran will wind up as a sacrifice, just a willing one.  @Crowfood's Daughter pointed out that Davos is doing some sort of Jonah thing.  He escaped the weir at the Blackwater when he swam, drowned, and avoided dying on the spears of the Merling King.  Maybe the repeated story is that the boy escapes his sacrificial fate only to face it later of his own free will.  The Tattered Prince ran, we will have to keep an eye on his fate.  Unless the tinfoil artists are right and he already died and was passed off as Quentyn.  

4 hours ago, ravenous reader said:

boom DOOM boom DOOM boom DOOM

You think this could be a "Tell-tale Heart" thing?  I have read interpretations of that story that say the murder victim's one eye was symbolic of secret knowledge.  Sounds pretty Odin-y to me.  Pretty tempting for George to use knowing what he likes to reference.  

While we will not know for sure i am inclined to think that potential greenseers have a tendency to be names Brandon or Bryndon. I suspect some of those disappearing Brandons may have been greenseers. i am sure it is no accident that Bloodraven and Bran essentially share a name -

Archived