u.s. politics: is this purity test covered under my obamacare?

1 minute ago, Red Tiger said:

Wasn't he a DINO to begin with?

Actually he was a straight-up Republican, he's switched between the parties (and being an independent) multiple times.

It doesn't seem to be an ideological thing; he spent the state legislature session pushing tax hikes and attacking the AHCA and other bills (though overall is quite conservative). Instead, he seems to just be really good friends with Eric Trump and knows that the last vestiges of Democratic support in the state are disappearing. On substance, I expect this to not change a thing; except that if he's still Governor after 2020 he'll support Republican redistricting plans. Though WV is probably lost to Democrats for decades to come at least, so it won't change much (except maybe Manchin, but senate seats can't be gerrymandered).

I find it hysterical that Trump continues to have campaign rallies in red states. It reminds me of the movie "Soap Dish" where Sally Fields plays a soap star that goes to malls so she can run into fans and be adored. Trump should have the words "LOVE ME!" behind him onstage.

They did their mantra, howling, "Lock her up!" making him all so happy.

Surely we're not the only people to find this supremely deranged that he's basking among his 30-something approvers to the tune of incarcerating Hillary while the Russian / biz / political conflicts of interests / criminal actions, etc. investigation closes in around him?

19 minutes ago, Zorral said:

They did their mantra, howling, "Lock her up!" making him all so happy.

Surely we're not the only people to find this supremely deranged that he's basking among his 30-something approvers to the tune of incarcerating Hillary while the Russian / biz / political conflicts of interests / criminal actions, etc. investigation closes in around him?

He's Pacino at the end of Scarface. Face first into a desktop piled high with coke while the Cartel Hit Squad is invading his mansion in force, picking off his henchmen one by one.

The woman Senator from Alaska ain't no Caribou Barbie;

The Senate blocked President Trump from being able to make recess appointments on Thursday as lawmakers leave Washington for their summer break. 

Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-Alaska), doing wrap up for the entire Senate, locked in nine "pro-forma" sessions — brief meetings that normally last roughly a minute. 

The move, which requires the agreement of every senator, means the Senate will be in session every three business days throughout the August recess. 

The Senate left D.C. on Thursday evening with most lawmakers not expected to return to Washington until after Labor Day. 

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/345261-senate-blocks-trump-from-making-recess-appointments-over-break

Hey Prezzie Orange Thang, enjoy your vacay.

But, but, I making the deals was what Trump does; 

The Secret Service has vacated its command post in Trump Tower over a dispute with the Trump Organization regarding the agency's lease.

The Washington Post reported Thursday that the Secret Service command post was moved to a trailer on a New York City sidewalk in early July. And a spokeswoman for President Trump's company has said the agency should seek space elsewhere. 

“After much consideration, it was mutually determined that it would be more cost effective and logistically practical for the Secret Service to lease space elsewhere,” Amanda Miller said in an email to the Post.

:dunno:   Oppsie, not this time. 

9 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

The woman Senator from Alaska ain't no Caribou Barbie;

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/345261-senate-blocks-trump-from-making-recess-appointments-over-break

Hey Prezzie Orange Thang, enjoy your vacay.

Awesome. Does it really seem like we're that far from the House being at a point where they'd be willing to call for impeachment? Both the House and the Senate have blocked him from pocket recess/recess appointment under the radar sort of moves. What political capital does he have left outside of screaming West Virginians and campaigning 3 years ahead of schedule?

6 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Awesome. Does it really seem like we're that far from the House being at a point where they'd be willing to call for impeachment? Both the House and the Senate have blocked him from pocket recess/recess appointment under the radar sort of moves. What political capital does he have left outside of screaming West Virginians and campaigning 3 years ahead of schedule?

Don't get ahead of yourself now, any possible action like that is a long way away, if ever.  I don't think we'll get an impeachment tho.  Perhaps the Orange Thang will be convinced to resign, or perhaps his health could give out do the strain.  Perhaps he'll flee to Russia (my personal fantasy, completely not happening, but so what) or other situations might arise.   

The R's in the Congress and the Senate, baby steps, right now it's just baby steps.  Baby is learning to walk.

22 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I wouldn't build too much off this move. The Senate has been in pro forma for every recess for years now, including all of Trump's term up until now and even when Democrats had the majority they started doing it to Obama after his 2012 NLRB recess appointments (Republicans helped force them to it, but plenty of Democrats were happy to do so). The Senate simply does not like being circumvented on nominations.

5 minutes ago, Fez said:

I wouldn't build too much off this move. The Senate has been in pro forma for every recess for years now, including all of Trump's term up until now and even when Democrats had the majority they started doing it to Obama after his 2012 NLRB recess appointments (Republicans helped force them to it, but plenty of Democrats were happy to do so). The Senate simply does not like being circumvented on nominations.

Fair enough. Good point.

26 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

That's funny, but kind of sad at the same time. I can remember when Newsweek was a respectable magazine. That looks like a Mad magazine cover.

Oh I don't know, as shitty as Trump is to the media, why should they play nice?

Archived