NFL 2017 Preaseason: Zeke the Freak to Sit 6 Weeks

Manhole Eunuchsbane

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

As far as Kaep goes, the two teams that should absolutely sign him are the Broncos and the Texans. That would catapult either team into the playoffs for sure.

I thought the Broncs should have traded for him before last season.  They are literally built almost exactly on the blueprint that Kaep took to the Super Bowl.

I like Simeieon, but there's no reason Kaep shouldn't have been brought in this season as a FA. Particularly now that Lynch is still 'not ready'. Let Kaep and the Monkey man fight it out, winner take all. This team should be carrying 3 QB's anyways, as Simeion was knocked out twice last year and Lynch was awful in relief.

ETA: I had a dream the other night that I bought an NFL team and informed the cheerleaders that although I'm not sure what they do exactly and disagree with their existence, I would henceforth be paying them $20 an hour for their participation in any team affiliated event. I also worked with them to turn the practice into a college-esque outfit, with dudes throwing them in the air and a band playing ominous music.

So that was pretty cool.

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

I thought the Broncs should have traded for him before last season.  They are literally built almost exactly on the blueprint that Kaep took to the Super Bowl.

Agreed. I would have been good with the Vikings trading for him too after Teddy went down, but Bradford has been a surprising success so far so I can’t complain.

Honestly it’s a joke that Kaep is still not on a team. The only team he doesn’t make better is the Patriots. Every other team would benefit having him as their backup QB if nothing else.  

9 hours ago, Maithanet said:

The fact that Kaep is still out of a job is increasingly hard for me to believe.  There are about 5 teams in the league that would have a significantly better chance of making the playoffs with him, and none of them are willing to pull the trigger?  If I were a fan of any of those teams, I would be pissed as hell. 

Really, with everything that's been brought out into the open lately, you're puzzled why an outspoken POC known for criticizing the US, police and flag on violent racial injustice is being ignored by a billion-dollar corporation disproportionately catering to conservative customers? I at least thought all this crap would make clear who and what exactly Kaepernick has been facing in the past year. 

34 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Really, with everything that's been brought out into the open lately, you're puzzled why an outspoken POC known for criticizing the US, police and flag on violent racial injustice is being ignored by a billion-dollar corporation disproportionately catering to conservative customers? I at least thought all this crap would make clear who and what exactly Kaepernick has been facing in the past year. 

Total agreement. I've become quite annoyed at many of my favorite NFL commentators dismissing his situation so readily. He probably isn't being blackballed in the strictest interpretation of the word, but there is no doubt that teams in turn (which are run by bigots) have decided to punish him for exercising his right to make a peaceful statement.

6 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Total agreement. I've become quite annoyed at many of my favorite NFL commentators dismissing his situation so readily. He probably isn't being blackballed in the strictest interpretation of the word, but there is no doubt that teams in turn (which are run by bigots) have decided to punish him for exercising his right to make a peaceful statement.

Someone made a comment a few pages back and I thought it was very appropriate.  It's not the owners that are bigots, it's that they are afraid their fans are bigots. :dunno: 

The Chiefs owner had a convenient out... a couple weeks back he said that he would be perfectly fine with signing Kaepernick, but with Alex Smith on the roster he doesn't feel that's a good move.

ETA:  The media is doing him no favors either.  As a Niners fan, I wanted him gone primarily because the team needs a clean break from the last two seasons.  However, the media circus around him right now is too much. 

In much the same way that Tebow likely was good enough to be a back up somewhere in the league if it weren't for the inappropriate amount of non sports coverage as a distraction.

Kaepernick is good enough for a roster without a doubt, but he brings with him constant distracting questions from people who normally wouldn't even be covering sports.

18 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Someone made a comment a few pages back and I thought it was very appropriate.  It's not the owners that are bigots, it's that they are afraid their fans are bigots. :dunno: 

The Chiefs owner had a convenient out... a couple weeks back he said that he would be perfectly fine with signing Kaepernick, but with Alex Smith on the roster he doesn't feel that's a good move.

ETA:  The media is doing him no favors either.  As a Niners fan, I wanted him gone primarily because the team needs a clean break from the last two seasons.  However, the media circus around him right now is too much. 

In much the same way that Tebow likely was good enough to be a back up somewhere in the league if it weren't for the inappropriate amount of non sports coverage as a distraction.

Kaepernick is good enough for a roster without a doubt, but he brings with him constant distracting questions from people who normally wouldn't even be covering sports.

Deference to bigotry is a sin of its own, I'm not absolving them. The Chiefs have a starter they like and an heir apparent at #2, they don't need to make mistakes. Most of the rest of the league would be improved by his presence, my Colts included. I also take issue with suggesting that Tebow could have been a good backup. That guy sucked, and needed a completely different offensive scheme to not look like a clown, Kaepernick is best in a mobile QB system, but he still possesses the basic tools to produce in any offense as a high quality backup.

26 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

Deference to bigotry is a sin of its own, I'm not absolving them. 

Hey, there are good points and bad points here, on many sides, on many sides. Also, I'd like to point out that he doesn't even have a protest permit.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I thought the deal with Tebow was that he wasn't willing to be a back-up though?

That was part of it, but he went to the Jets obviously to begin as a back up.

And Kaepernick has been silent about most of this, many say that he still wants low starter money.

And as mentioned here, I think if you put him in the league today; I might still make him a top 20 QB.  (Which is really quite a damning condemnation of the state of QB play in the league today.)

1 hour ago, Rhom said:

And Kaepernick has been silent about most of this, many say that he still wants low starter money.

It's puzzling to me that he has not spoken about what he's looking for regarding money and/or opportunity to start. If his demands aren't ridiculous, it would only shine more light on how he's truly being blackballed. I was hoping the Steelers would've taken a look at him this offseason due to Roethlisburger essentially going year to year now and Landry Jones being hot garbage. Give Kaep weapons and a solid OL and I think he could easily get back to 2012 form. Pittsburgh would've been an ideal landing spot if the price was right.

1 hour ago, Joe Pesci said:

It's puzzling to me that he has not spoken about what he's looking for regarding money and/or opportunity to start. If his demands aren't ridiculous, it would only shine more light on how he's truly being blackballed. I was hoping the Steelers would've taken a look at him this offseason due to Roethlisburger essentially going year to year now and Landry Jones being hot garbage. Give Kaep weapons and a solid OL and I think he could easily get back to 2012 form. Pittsburgh would've been an ideal landing spot if the price was right.

I suspect he's either being diplomatic in that regard (like not wanting to piss the league off any more than he already has) or the idea simply hasn't occurred to him. He's not the sharpest sandwich in the picnic basket, ya know?

6 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

I suspect he's either being diplomatic in that regard (like not wanting to piss the league off any more than he already has) or the idea simply hasn't occurred to him. He's not the sharpest sandwich in the picnic basket, ya know?

I was really disappointed for him when the Dolphins didn't call.  You know... considering he wore Dolphins paraphernalia out on the town while he was QB for the Niners. :bang: 

Well, this should be interesting...

“There will be no football in the state of Georgia if Colin Kaepernick is not on a training camp roster and given an opportunity to pursue his career,” said Gerald Griggs of the Atlanta NAACP at a Friday press conference, via fox5atlanta.com. “This is not a simple request. This is a statement. This is a demand.”

I can get behind support for Kaepernick, but a statement like this is pretty ridiculous.

17 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

He's actually pretty smart. On paper and off camera...he scores well, and his more candid interview stuff can be pretty sharp by athlete standards. He just...dunno if this was Harbaugh's training or what, but he developed this stone-faced monosyllabic persona with the media that Hoodie would approve of. 

Now, is he an intellectual, can he hang with people who make ideological arguments their profession? Probably not. And I also feel he's trying to find a middle ground between acting on his beliefs and acting on his agent's advice, and is figuring that silence is the safest middle ground. But remember his protest was itself low-key and silent until several games in someone noticed him sitting and asked him about it. I think he's pretty naturally introverted but also has very strong beliefs and we are seeing the result of those 2 factors. 

But in any event, going public about his salary demands would probably be counter-productive in terms of just painting another bullseye, and in terms of negotiation it would be terrible. Either you 'announce' your opening bargaining position, meaning higher than where you expect to settle, meaning more room to paint your demands as unrealistic and 'that's why no one wants him', or you surrender all negotiating power and announce your settlement floor, meaning everyone you negotiate with starts with that as your ceiling and pushes you for 'middle ground' and you either accept much less than your minimum, making the announcement you punching yourself in the face for no reason, or you don't budge and your 'inflexibility/refusal to compromise' is now cited as 'that's why no one wants him.'

Archived