NFL 2017: Sneaky-Good October

Jace, Extat

2 hours ago, Cas Stark said:

49ers are a shambles, it may be that no one but BB [or a certain guy now coaching in MI] could make them competitive this year...seems a little too soon to be writing Shanahan off as a head coach, but I haven't watched any of their games, so maybe I am wrong.

The lack of talent on that team is amazing.Ā  They literally have nobody on offense who could start for a reasonably good team.Ā  Carlos Hyde MIGHT be average.Ā  George Kittle might someday be good, but he's suffering from Rookie TE Syndrome right now.Ā  Beathard's ceiling is to someday be as good as Josh McCown is now.Ā  Pierre Garcon is playable as a third option - not a first.

46 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It's looking that way.Ā  Shanahan is good enough to make a limited quarterback look pretty good (2009 Schaub, 2012 RG3), or a very good quarterback look excellent (Ryan) but he can't turn chicken shit into chicken salad.Ā 

I think that's exactly it. Falcons went from 34 ppg to 21 ppg with virtually the exact same talent since he left. 49ers haven't gotten any better (though I would argue if he still had CK, he'd institute some fun, innovative wrinkles)Ā but the cupboard is empty. Cousins would help but pretty sure he wouldn't be close to the same guy throwing to Pierre Garcon and a roster of WR4s.Ā 

Shanahan was more deserving of a HC opportunity, but McVay got the better job. Rams had a lot more built in talent that was just being horrifically mismanaged by the previous coaching staff.Ā 

32 minutes ago, Bronn Stone said:

The lack of talent on that team is amazing.Ā  They literally have nobody on offense who could start for a reasonably good team.Ā  Carlos Hyde MIGHT be average.Ā  George Kittle might someday be good, but he's suffering from Rookie TE Syndrome right now.Ā  Beathard's ceiling is to someday be as good as Josh McCown is now.Ā  Pierre Garcon is playable as a third option - not a first.

Yeah... this needed a picture, so I tweeted this just to share here.

Ā 

5 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yeah... this needed a picture, so I tweeted this just to share here.

Making fun of Jim Tomsula has fallen out of fashion in DC.Ā  Our D line looks much improved with him here, although he's got his work cut out for him with Jonathan Allen out for 2 months.Ā 

7 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Making fun of Jim Tomsula has fallen out of fashion in DC.Ā  Our D line looks much improved with him here, although he's got his work cut out for him with Jonathan Allen out for 2 months.Ā 

Oh I think he was probably passably competent as a D Line coach.Ā  The problem was in promoting him to head coach because he was a nice guy.

34 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Oh I think he was probably passably competent as a D Line coach.Ā  The problem was in promoting him to head coach because he was a nice guy.

Even a great D line coach isn't necessarily any good at D Coordinator, let alone capable of doing the top job.Ā  There's no shame in being a guy that is good at his job and needs to stay there, like Steve Spagnuolo or Bill Callahan.Ā  I'm glad he's our D line coach but still wouldn't want him at DCoordinator, let alone higher.Ā 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Even a great D line coach isn't necessarily any good at D Coordinator, let alone capable of doing the top job.Ā  There's no shame in being a guy that is good at his job and needs to stay there, like Steve Spagnuolo or Bill Callahan.Ā  I'm glad he's our D line coach but still wouldn't want him at DCoordinator, let alone higher.Ā 

The meme is a little unfair, too, because of the large talent gap in the rosters those coaches inherited. Methinks Shanahan would do a better job with the 2015 roster than what he's got now.

16 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

The meme is a little unfair, too, because of the large talent gap in the rosters those coaches inherited. Methinks Shanahan would do a better job with the 2015 roster than what he's got now.

True.Ā  And that's part of the tragedy.

4 hours ago, Bronn Stone said:

I think Pierre Garcon is the perfect #2 if you already have a #3 you like better. Like if you have a good slot guy like Wes Welker, Garcon is the dude you turn to 4 times a game for the grittiest first down catches you'll ever see. He's like Anquan Bolden except every time he gets hit it looks like the stock market just crashed into Jupiter.

Also, Griff Whalen is still on the Ravens' active roster.

The Vikings might be the most depressing 5-2 team I've ever seen. The defense is great, but our elite skill guys keep getting hurt and we won't be able to do anything in the playoffs if Case is still our QB. He could have easily thrownĀ 4 or 5 Ints yesterday. Hopefully Bradford can come back and resemble his game one performance. Or maybe Teddy can come back and just be average. Or maybe we could sign the average QB that's still a FA who perfectly fits our scheme. But it can't be Case, one way or another.Ā 

8 hours ago, sperry said:

Looking more and more like the Niners should go grab Cousins. The so-called year of the quarterback for the NFL draft is imploding. That being said, they'll probably waste the pick anyway. Maybe they can spend a 4th straight 1st round pickĀ on a mediocre defensive lineman.

No! Rosen!

Archived