NFL 2017: Less Than Burfict

Manhole Eunuchsbane

38 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

@Whiskeyjack

In hindsight about rejecting a QB upgrade in B. I STAND BY THAT SHIT! I AM A GOD, YOU PUNY MORTAL MOTHERFUCKER! I'LL TAKE THOSE 2 POINTS AJAI GAVE ME AND HOLD ONTO THEM UNTIL I'VE TAKEN WEEK'S PLACE IN EXPERTS.

Step to me, commish! You wanna have a war? I'll give you a goddamn genocide!

:leaving:

I warned you all that the power would go to her head. Make Jace a WFFEL Insider Reporter they said. What’s the worst that could happen they said. Well now we’ve got a damn vampiric, genocidal maniac who believes she’s a god on our hands, and she’s just getting started.

1 hour ago, Week said:

Split that hair however makes the most sense to you. I don't have to buy it.

I really don't care if you buy it or not. It's sickening to me to watch a small handful of guys repeatedly try (and usually succeed) to injure people with cheap shots far outside the game of football.

2 hours ago, sperry said:

As is, Suh and Alonso are assaulting people in ways that are outside the bounds of legitimate football play, which in turn is essentially criminal behavior.

Alonso's hit would have celebrated just a few years ago. I think you're taking this a little too far. Suh on the other hand is as dirty as they get, but wasn't it cool to watch him chock slam a dude?

Screw it, take off the padding and give them swords!!!!!!!

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Alonso's hit would have celebrated just a few years ago. I think you're taking this a little too far. Suh on the other hand is as dirty as they get, but wasn't it cool to watch him chock slam a dude?

Screw it, take off the padding and give them swords!!!!!!!

I don't think things "being celebrated" before is a good barometer for what's okay.  Alonso has a dirty past (both criminally and on the field), and he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt in my book.

36 minutes ago, sperry said:

I don't think things "being celebrated" before is a good barometer for what's okay. 

I think it is, and apparently the Nielsen ratings agree.

I'm glad the NFL ratings are down.  4 hour-long games, with about 30 minutes worth of boner commercials.  Political storylines in which unqualified, and often uneducated athletes act like sheep, while alienating half of the viewing audience.  

And on top of everything, the NFL is so worried about future lawsuits by former players, they have saturated the game by over-penalizing defenses.

19 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

I'm glad the NFL ratings are down.  4 hour-long games, with about 30 minutes worth of boner commercials.  Political storylines in which unqualified, and often uneducated athletes act like sheep, while alienating half of the viewing audience.  

Act like sheep? Are they all standing now because Gropenfuhrer told them to stand for the anthem?

18 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

And on top of everything, the NFL is so worried about future lawsuits by former players, they have saturated the game by over-penalizing defenses.

They should be worried. They suppressed studies and data for years in much the same way that Tobacco Companies did. I love the game, but it's time to make some significant rule changes in order to protect player health. It may never be the same, but if you can avoid the sort of crap that Walter Payton, Junior Seau, Ken Stabler, Frank Gifford, Dave Duerson, Mike Webster and many other players have had to suffer through, then it's time to turn the page. 

3 minutes ago, Week said:

Act like sheep? Are they all standing now because Gropenfuhrer told them to stand for the anthem?

Yeah, I'm not sure I get Billy's comment there. Honestly, if that alienates you, turn the fucking game on five minutes after kickoff. Bunch of pearl clutching over nothing.

3 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Yeah, I'm not sure I get Billy's comment there. Honestly, if that alienates you, turn the fucking game on five minutes after kickoff. Bunch of pearl clutching over nothing.

That seems to be the case with the general audience.  I watch because I still love the game, but it does annoy me.  We hear enough about politics throughout the day.  On Sunday, I want to enjoy a game.

10 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

They should be worried. They suppressed studies and data for years in much the same way that Tobacco Companies did. I love the game, but it's time to make some significant rule changes in order to protect player health. It may never be the same, but if you can avoid the sort of crap that Walter Payton, Junior Seau, Ken Stabler, Frank Gifford, Dave Duerson, Mike Webster and many other players have had to suffer through, then it's time to turn the page. 

I've always believed in Joe Paterno's suggestion of the removal of the facemask.  It makes players fearless, and tacklers always lead with their heads in order to force a fumble.  

There is no need for a facemask.  A few broken noses are nothing compared to dozens of concussions.  

4 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

That seems to be the case with the general audience.  I watch because I still love the game, but it does annoy me.  We hear enough about politics throughout the day.  On Sunday, I want to enjoy a game.

It's not like they're making speeches. Not sure how this can honestly take away from your enjoyment of the game.It's a panned camera shot before the game even starts that lasts what, 2 minutes? And they might focus in on a kneeling player for 5-10 seconds.

7 minutes ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

Don't be so fragile. The uneducated, inarticulate nonsense is from the announcers.

1 minute ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

It's not like they're making speeches. Not sure how this can honestly take away from your enjoyment of the game.It's a panned camera shot before the game even starts that lasts what, 2 minutes? And they might focus in on a kneeling player for 5-10 seconds.

You're right, it's only for a small portion of the game.  However, the media shoving down the Kaepernick story down our throats an entire offseason, seems to have left a bad taste in the general audiences mouths.  

1 minute ago, Sour Billy Tipton said:

You're right, it's only for a small portion of the game.  However, the media shoving down the Kaepernick story down our throats an entire offseason, seems to have left a bad taste in the general audiences mouths.  

I guess I can understand it from a "don't get your chocolate in my peanut butter" angle, but it's never really seemed that intrusive to me. Like during the course of a game, how often does it come up? Half the time I'm tuning the announcers out anyway.

4 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

What's so hard to understand about not wanting politics, or issues, to be part of sports? I don't really want to hear about the NFL's plans on combating domestic violence, or how they're going to lobby for changes to the criminal justice system, or what kneeling does or doesn't mean or why players are or are not kneeling, or which owner had to apologize for which statement, I don't want to know who anyone votes for and I don't even want to hear about breast cancer.  I want to hear about football.  That's relaxing, and neutral, where once upon a time you could enjoy with anyone because there was no politics in it.  

2 minutes ago, Week said:

Don't be so fragile. The uneducated, inarticulate nonsense is from the announcers.

If by announcers, you mean the media, I completely agree.  ESPN peddles bullshit.  They follow the same blueprint as 24 hour news networks, get a bunch of talking heads on a panel and make them disagree on meaningless subjects in order to convince the audience that these subjects matter.  

No better example than Tim Tebow. 

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

What's so hard to understand about not wanting politics, or issues, to be part of sports? I don't really want to hear about the NFL's plans on combating domestic violence, or how they're going to lobby for changes to the criminal justice system, or what kneeling does or doesn't mean or why players are or are not kneeling, or which owner had to apologize for which statement, I don't want to know who anyone votes for and I don't even want to hear about breast cancer.  I want to hear about football.  That's relaxing, and neutral, where once upon a time you could enjoy with anyone because there was no politics in it.  

Hear, hear.

6 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

But how often does that truly intrude on the game? Maybe I'm just not paying enough attention, but let's take the breast cancer thing for a sec. It's a brief blurb at the start of the game, and then outside of pink cleats, or a ribbon pinned to a jersey, that's it. How does that take away your enjoyment for the game? (I agree with you in the sense that it doesn't really make any sense to me outside of a blatant PR move, but at the end of the day it's just background noise. It's like a commercial lead-in. Like when the announcers start talking about whatever shitty sit-com is on after the game)

Archived