TTTNE 472: A new Year, a new Ruler-or not

Jen'ari

48 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Favourite Disney princess? :P

YES YES YES. 

Spoiler

I own Disney princess stuff and I am not ashamed. 

Spoiler

But I will leave the details for a potential guess the owner game. 

14 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Favourite man of the Night's Watch?

Favourite character from Harry Potter?

Speaking of which, today I got into an interesting discussion about HP. How are Ministers chosen? Is there direct democracy? Is there some council that chooses the Minister of Magic? Why don't Harry & co. ever go to election before a new Minister is appointed (or rather, the characters that are of age)?

Interesting, I never thought about this, I would guess there’s some sort of council or decision making body that elects the Minister for Magic. But I don’t remember any information on this. I am certain Rowling has shared it on pottermore or Twitter (does that lady love Twitter, huh), but frankly I don’t care enough check. 

Speaking of, there was an election in my home town and some 350ish good citizens invested their time on voting. My hometown now has a 27 year old mayor, who reads speeches from a sheet of paper in an elementary school manner and posts on Facebook three times a day. Oh, the last mayor resigned due to the uncomfortable and unexplainable results of a Tax and Customs Bureau inspection on his office. I’m missing out on all the fun not living there. 

43 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

YES YES YES. 

After some thorough research (5 minutes on a random wiki fandom page), I propose these characters to be on the list to start with (a bit more than the official Disney-recognised brand of a princess, but what does Disney know :P ):

1. Snow White

2. Cinderella

3. Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)

4. Ariel (The Little Mermaid)

5. Belle (Beauty and the Beast)

6. Jasmine (Aladdin)

7. Pocahontas

8. Mulan

9. Tiana (Princess and the Frog)

10. Rapunzel (Tangled)

11. Merida (Brave)

12. Anna (Frozen)

13. Elsa (Frozen)

14. Moana

15. Anastasia - yes yes, I know, not Disney, but who cares, that one is great. Don't be too angry, @ab aeterno.

I took this list as a reference, btw: disneyprincess.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Disney_Princesses 

Thoughts, preferences? 20 entries would be okay to start with, so there are a few spots left.

Reveal hidden contents

I own Disney princess stuff and I am not ashamed. 

Reveal hidden contents

But I will leave the details for a potential guess the owner game. 

Interesting, I never thought about this, I would guess there’s some sort of council or decision making body that elects the Minister for Magic. But I don’t remember any information on this. I am certain Rowling has shared it on pottermore or Twitter (does that lady love Twitter, huh), but frankly I don’t care enough check. 

Speaking of, there was an election in my home town and some 350ish good citizens invested their time on voting. My hometown now has a 27 year old mayor, who reads speeches from a sheet of paper in an elementary school manner and posts on Facebook three times a day. Oh, the last mayor resigned due to the uncomfortable and unexplainable results of a Tax and Customs Bureau inspection on his office. I’m missing out on all the fun not living there. 

350 sounds like ... not many voters. But who am I to comment.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Favourite Disney princess? :P

Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Speaking of which, today I got into an interesting discussion about HP. How are Ministers chosen? Is there direct democracy? Is there some council that chooses the Minister of Magic? Why don't Harry & co. ever go to election before a new Minister is appointed (or rather, the characters that are of age)?

No idea, but I had an HP discussion last night too. A friend claimed Harry was resurrected in the Deathly Hallows because he was the last owner of the Resurrection Stone, which is just... no?

7 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Thoughts, preferences? 20 entries would be okay to start with, so there are a few spots left.

Leia :P 

1 hour ago, Buckwheat said:

Favourite man of the Night's Watch?

Favourite character from Harry Potter?

Well there is certainly some kind of political manoeuvring involved - Barry Crouch was supposedly tipped for the next Minister before his son was implicated in the torture of the Longbottoms after all, after which Fudge got the job. That’s all I recall we learn in the books. I don’t remember much being mentioned about Scrimgeour’s appointment to the job of Minister, only that it comes after Fudge is sacked/resigns.

Okay, Fomney, I like you and all, but everything you just said ...

2 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana Moana

No.

No idea, but I had an HP discussion last night too. A friend claimed Harry was resurrected in the Deathly Hallows because he was the last owner of the Resurrection Stone, which is just... no?

No.

Leia :P 

No. 

1 minute ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well there is certainly some kind of political manoeuvring involved - Barry Crouch was supposedly tipped for the next Minister before his son was implicated in the torture of the Longbottoms after all, after which Fudge got the job. That’s all I recall we learn in the books. I don’t remember much being mentioned about Scrimgeour’s appointment to the job of Minister, only that it comes after Fudge is sacked/resigns.

Then Fudge must have been a minister for a very long time. Does not seem like they have a 5-year mandate or so.

15 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

After some thorough research (5 minutes on a random wiki fandom page), I propose these characters to be on the list to start with (a bit more than the official Disney-recognised brand of a princess, but what does Disney know :P ):

1. Snow White

2. Cinderella

6. Jasmine (Aladdin)

7. Pocahontas

8. Mulan

10. Rapunzel (Tangled)

11. Merida (Brave)

12. Anna (Frozen)

13. Elsa (Frozen)

14. Moana

15. Anastasia - yes yes, I know, not Disney, but who cares, that one is great. Don't be too angry, @ab aeterno.

I took this list as a reference, btw: disneyprincess.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_Disney_Princesses 

Also Disney is buying Fox unless I’m much mistaken so Anastasia is retrospectively a Disney Princess :P soon everything will be a Disney Princess...

2 minutes ago, Buckwheat said:

Then Fudge must have been a minister for a very long time. Does not seem like they have a 5-year mandate or so.

Apparently not. They don’t seem to have any kind of Parliament or Senate or anything either so I guess their government is really just an executive branch? :dunno: 

Once again struck by the fact worldbuilding in HP was not really given in-depth thought by Rowling

6 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Apparently not. They don’t seem to have any kind of Parliament or Senate or anything either so I guess their government is really just an executive branch? :dunno: 

Once again struck by the fact worldbuilding in HP was not really given in-depth thought by Rowling

Didn't Dumbledore once say that he was asked for the position? So I'd guess there's a committee that selects good candidates or something.

14 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Well, they do have the judicidal system too, but it is not independent of the Ministry ... :dunno:

7 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

-Yes. Just... yes.

We will see. :ninja:

-Agree on the second no :P

-Yes again, you can't argue with the facts.

I don't have anything against Leia, but she is just not an animated character.

Spoiler

Except in Rogue One.

So she cannot compete against the others here.

But I guess we'll have to fight this out in an elimination game.

:commie: Bring it on. :commie:

6 minutes ago, First of My Name said:

Didn't Dumbledore once say that he was asked for the position? So I'd guess there's a committee that selects good candidates or something.

That does not sound too democratic to me.

2 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Well, they do have the judicidal system too, but it is not independent of the Ministry ... :dunno:

We will see. :ninja:

I don't have anything against Leia, but she is just not an animated character.

1. Snow White

2. Cinderella

6. Jasmine (Aladdin)

7. Pocahontas

8. Mulan (Technically not a princess, but I'll allow it)

10. Rapunzel (Tangled)

11. Merida (Brave)

12. Anna (Frozen)

13. Elsa (Frozen)

14. Moana

15. Anastasia 

16: Tiger Lilly (Peter Pan)

17: Nala (The Lion King) (No-one gets to be species-ist)

18: Kida (Atlantis the Lost Empire)

19: Maid Marian (Robin Hood) - Technically just a noblewoman but still

20: Vanellope von Schweetz (Wreck-It Ralph

21: Eilonwy (The Black Cauldron) -NB: I don't know how people feel about Nala and Marian (being animals) so Eilonwy could replace one of them.

22: Sally (Nightmare before Christmas) NB: Again, could be in place of one of the animals.

23: Meg (Hercules) again technically not a princess but could replace an animal.

ETA: @Buckwheat Maybe make the game Animated Disney Heroines? rather than princesses?

On 1/23/2018 at 1:55 PM, HelenaExMachina said:

Oh no, not Mr Bean’s Holiday. Honestly that one kind of sucks. I believe this one is just called Bean...he goes to America as part of his career with an art gallery (“I sit in the corner, and look at the paintings.” - yes, he speaks) He stops with an American Family for the duration, does some stuff related to the unveiling of the new painting...hijinks ensue. Good times! It’s an older film than Mr. Bean’s holiday. Totally it’s more similar to the series.

shame on Fawlty Towers. Blackadder is always quality. I personally hate Dr. Who though *shrug* *ducks rotten veg from @felice* :P 

You would probably like Victoria Wood (Rip :( ) she did a sketch show called Victoria Wood, As Seen on TV. Also a series called dinnerladies, and stand up too. Wonderful woman.

i have never heard of Rita before. What kind of show is it and who is in it? Also blame hormones for everything, it’s a perk of pregnancy damnit! :D Craving chocolate? Baby wants it? Feeling irritable? Baby is cranky!

Just finished the latest season of Rita - it’s sooooo gooood. It’s Danish but I enjoy the subtitles. There are some amazing one liners and underlying comedy but also drama and very talented actors. I think my favorite character is Hjordis. 

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

SO WEIRD, RIGHT?

You probably have to lump Marvel women in here as well. Maybe not princesses ( but super heroes are better). 

2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Got to have Emperor Kuzco

One of my top favorite Disney movies that never gets the credit it deserves. 

1 hour ago, The BlackBear said:

An emperor is whatever he wants to be.

Including a llama. 

Archived