US Politics: Let's Arm All the Teachers! 30 Pieces of Silver to Shoot a Student!

Fragile Bird

59 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

And yet he still kept getting banks and financial institutions to lend him more money.

Uh, no, he didn't. He had to go to Europe, and, we believe, the Russians.

eta: sorry, I should have gone to the next page. I did not intend to pile-on!

26 minutes ago, TheKitttenGuard said:

I take you never had a dog with the name either.

Though yes you are correct that Insurance Mandate was primarily a Conservative idea and considered important for a Market based solution for Health Covrage. 

Ive owned three dogs in my lifetime  and  none of them had particular  name

Market based would fit in the Conservatives philosophy .Okay 

On 2/23/2018 at 9:56 PM, dmc515 said:

BTW, to be thorough..Ok, fine, because I'm bored:

@Kalbear

There we go.  Let's bring something even more academic and boring to the table of reapportionment.  Because that's how politics works - the voters love getting confused about how they'll vote.  Way to be - in fact, if we're just talking for funsies let's apportion representatives by how fast they can beat the original Sonic.  Because that's pretty important to me, or at least it was when I refound that cartridge and system in college.  I was the coolest guy in my dorm for, like, six weeks.  Next...

ETA:  My saltiness here is in part because you don't really know what MMP entails.  What you describe is essentially PR in 50 multi-member districts, which, fine.  It's wholly unrealistic, but whatever.  Except that's not MMP.  MMP requires a district vote and a party vote.  That means, if you're talking about just the House, that's two different ways you'd be electing members.  If you mean both chambers, than "MMP" really is just a fancy way of saying you want the Senate vote as first-past-the-post and the House to vote PR. 

I'm not talking about either actually; I'm talking about state governments, not federal ones. Not that it matters much. States can obviously pick and choose how they want to take their proportionality and how they want to vote, without any real federal interference. Start there, show that it works, and move on. 

As to the Federal House, I'm talking about doing it on a state-by-state basis. There's no way to pass this at the federal level, and I wouldn't want to try. Instead, I'd want to do something similar to it for congress. My understanding is that house members are simply awarded based on the census and the total remaining at 438, and it is up to the states to decide how they want to divvy up their systems. In that case, the state can do whatever it wants so long as it elects its appointed members every 2 years. Heck, given all the arcane rules of replacements for someone who resigned at a state-by-state level this is cake. 

MMP does indeed require a district vote and a party vote, though how picking your party is all that hard is really beyond me. 

On 2/23/2018 at 9:56 PM, dmc515 said:

Anyway, not only is it especially unrealistic, it does not impress me at all that you have a tenuous grasp on such rules.  And, it's particularly fun to ridicule when someone doesn't even really understand what he's advocating for.

It's somewhat realistic at the state level. The federal level is a long way to go. I'm sorry that I don't impress you, but the notion that what I propose is unrealistic means that I don't understand it is such an intellectually dishonest argument I can only assume that you were drunk as fuck when you wrote this. Of course I think it's unlikely in the US, but it is also what I'd like, and unlike a lot of other proposals this is something that could actually be done at the state level and make a significant change. 

1 hour ago, GAROVORKIN said:

And yet he still kept getting banks and financial institutions to lend him more money.

Not in the US, nobody will touch him.  It's why he has to get russian backers, nobody will lend to him anymore.

ETA: dammit

2 minutes ago, aceluby said:

Not in the US, nobody will touch him.  It's why he has to get russian backers, nobody will lend to him anymore.

That's why it's no surprise that Manafort and Gates are gonna plea out. He runs with a crowd of people who get their loans for tens of millions of dollars from the kind of dudes you don't want to owe tens of cents.

6 minutes ago, GAROVORKIN said:

I find that fact more then a bit troubling. :(

Dollars to donuts in a week you'll be back to giving Trump credit for his business savvy. But it's been great to see multiple people correct your ignorance. Again.

1 minute ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

It's like when you stop watching the spider for a minute, and then you look back and its gone. And somehow, you just know it's gonna be crawling across your face when you fall asleep later.

More like you don't see any for a few weeks and then you spot a very pregnant one skuttering away.

27 minutes ago, aceluby said:

ETA: dammit

Bunch of people on this thread are claiming that Trump has loans from the Russians.  As far as I know, that has yet to be proven.  All we know for sure is that Trump's last set of loans were from Deutsche Bank.  Whether those loans were actually funded using laundered Russian money through Deutsche Bank is something Mueller is certainly looking at, but no conclusions have leaked so far.

3 hours ago, IamMe90 said:

It's especially ironic given how Trump himself told an interviewer a story about how he watched a man dying on the ground and did nothing to stop it. Especially great is the part where he talks about how "horrible" it was - not that the person was dying, but that his blood was mucking up the beautiful marble floor. :dunno: I can't believe I still get surprised on the weekly over how much of a shitstain he is, you'd think I'd be used to it by now.

Yeah, I completely forgot about that, but I agree that it's telling. Another good example of him being a loud mouth bully who makes empty threats is when he traveled to Mexico at the end of the campaign. All the bluster and tough talk melted away in an instant once he had to be in the same room as the Mexican president.

Just now, Tywin et al. said:

Yeah, I completely forgot about that, but I agree that it's telling. Another good example of him being a loud mouth bully who makes empty threats is when he traveled to Mexico at the end of the campaign. All the bluster and tough talk melted away in an instant once he had to be in the same room as the Mexican president.

Heard he fumbled a visit from the new President.

45 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

That's why it's no surprise that Manafort and Gates are gonna plea out. He runs with a crowd of people who get their loans for tens of millions of dollars from the kind of dudes you don't want to owe tens of cents.

I like how a lawyer phrased Manafort's situation, "Manafort has two options at this point, flip on everyone he has dirt on or mentally prepare to die in prison." 

27 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Bunch of people on this thread are claiming that Trump has loans from the Russians.  As far as I know, that has yet to be proven.  All we know for sure is that Trump's last set of loans were from Deutsche Bank.  Whether those loans were actually funded using laundered Russian money through Deutsche Bank is something Mueller is certainly looking at, but no conclusions have leaked so far.

This is true as far as I know. Lots of coincidences there between Deutsche and Russia but nothing has been reported on or proven so far. And if it is actually true, it'll likely be the very last thing we learn about as any actual crimes that may touch Trump won't come out until the end of the investigation.

Archived