US Politics: Let's Arm All the Teachers! 30 Pieces of Silver to Shoot a Student!

Fragile Bird

21 hours ago, Mudguard said:

Bunch of people on this thread are claiming that Trump has loans from the Russians.  As far as I know, that has yet to be proven.  All we know for sure is that Trump's last set of loans were from Deutsche Bank.  Whether those loans were actually funded using laundered Russian money through Deutsche Bank is something Mueller is certainly looking at, but no conclusions have leaked so far.

To be clear, he doesn't have loans. What he has is this shady thing where he gets Russians to buy some of his properties ahead of time (or buy condos in them), and then he uses that information to secure more funding ("see, I'm already 55% committed!"). 

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/02/26/texas-democrats-early-voting-totals-shock-every-conservative-core-abbott-email-says

Democrats in early voting in Texas primaries are voting like a presidential election year (actually they're voting more than 2016) Republicans are voting about like 2014, up slightly.

Registered Democrat voters

County  2014,    2016,    2018 (to date)

Harris 8,399   23,361    24,935
Dallas 12,907   17,229    19,829
Tarrant 7,955   12,266    10,379
Bexar 11,785   17,806    16,464
Travis 8,276    17,525    19,082
Collin 2,110    5,493     6,725
Denton  1,390    5,086     5,305

As this is the proper thread for this link her is a story from NPR about a man who was arrested at a local public meeting in Rivera Beach Florida.  During his three minutes of public comment the city council saw fit to have him arrested for not staying on topic and calling that action "disorderly conduct".  The question of whether his speech is protected by the 1st Amendment will be heard by the Supreme Court this term.  

https://www.npr.org/2018/02/27/586564094/the-curious-case-of-a-florida-man-who-called-politicians-corrupt-got-thrown-in-j?utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_content=20180227

From the article:

Back in 2006, Lozman was not exactly a welcome sight for the Riviera Beach City Council. He had managed to scuttle their plans to convert the local public marina into a private one.

A transcript of a closed-door meeting in June of that year shows council members discussing tactics for dealing with Lozman, including the possibility of hiring a private investigator to turn the tables on the city's critic.

"I think it would help to intimidate," Council Chairperson Elizabeth Wade said, adding, "I think they should be questioned by some of our people ... so they can feel the same kind of unwarranted heat."

On Nov. 15, 2006, the dispute between Lozman and the City Council boiled over. During the public comment portion of an open meeting, Lozman decided to speak up.

"They were not in a very good mood," he recalls. "They realized they had to abandon their entire redevelopment plan. ... They were throwing in the towel that night, and that's when I got up to make my public comment, and the chairperson was just livid looking at me."

Lozman started out, "You're probably aware that the U.S. Attorney's Office has arrested the second corrupt local politician. This time it was former Palm Beach County Commissioner Tony Masilotti."

Chairperson Wade immediately interrupted him: "Fane Lozman, you have the right to say what you want to say publicly, but you will not stand up and go through that."

Lozman persisted, insisting that he had the right to speak. Wade summoned the police officer on duty to the podium and told Lozman to leave or be arrested.

When Lozman refused to leave, Wade told the officer to "carry him out."

The officer handcuffed Lozman and took him to a holding cell at the local police department, charging him with disorderly conduct and resisting arrest.

1 hour ago, Maithanet said:

Delta could just announce that if Georgia cannot be trusted to follow through on their agreements, they are willing to explore moving to Nashville or Charlotte or really anywhere.  They'll find plenty of airports and states ready to play ball.  And just FYI, Delta is the #1 employer in Georgia, with 33,000 employees.  Delta moving even a quarter of those jobs elsewhere would be a huge problem for the state. 

1 hour ago, Fragile Bird said:

All they need to do is move their offices to South Carolina. They can keep the hub in Atlamta...for now. Splitting the hub would make some airport very happy.

I was thinking Delta moving their hub (or part of it) was probably too difficult because it's so huge.  But, if that would be a realistic option, then so much the better.  Delta can throw around a whole bunch of economic weight in Georgia if they want in many ways.:fencing:

3 hours ago, Mlle. Zabzie said:

Completely separately, but please pay attention:

Dana Trier, who was a partner for decades at Davis Polk & Wardwell, and who came out of retirement to take the thankless job of Deputy Assistant Secretary (Tax Policy) at Treasury (meaning he was in charge of new regulations to implement the new law), has been forced to resign.  It appears that his mistake was to more or less tell the truth about the flaws in the new tax law (I mean, he was funny about it, which has to be extra bad).  Truth to power from within not tolerated.

There was a similar thing with a trade report and Canada. Trump signed a report (100% without even reading it cause it's Trump and he's functionally illiterate) that basically contradicted everything he's ever said about trade with Canada. The only reason people haven't been fired I assume is because none of the morons in the White House have noticed it because cable news isn't covering it. The Canadian papers are all laughing about it though.

Oh, just in case you weren't terrified enough, the Trump Admin is currently keeping the corruption ball and the Flynn's-stupid-ideas ball rolling by looking into helping the Saudis develop nuclear power.

The Trump administration briefed congressional staff this week on how the White House was considering non-proliferation standards in a potential pact to sell nuclear reactor technology to Saudi Arabia, but did not indicate whether allowing uranium enrichment would be part of any deal, congressional aides said.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-nuclear-saudi/trump-officials-brief-hill-staff-on-saudi-reactors-enrichment-a-worry-idUSKBN1E92M1

God knows why anyone wouldn't want the people behind 9/11 to have nuclear technology.

32 minutes ago, Prince of the North said:

I was thinking Delta moving their hub (or part of it) was probably too difficult because it's so huge.  But, if that would be a realistic option, then so much the better.  Delta can throw around a whole bunch of economic weight in Georgia if they want in many ways.:fencing:

I think we should also underline the fact that Delta is well within its rights to withdraw preferential status for any organization it chooses. The dumbass from Georgia on the other hand would be performing something quite illegal if he were to single our Delta in terms of legislation (tax or otherwise).

Honestly, I think the NRA and its paid politicians overreached in this particular instance of a mass shooting. Not sure why, but some tipping point has been reached that has caused a whole lot of crazy talk from people fearful that the status quo is being upended..

1 hour ago, lokisnow said:

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/2018-elections/2018/02/26/texas-democrats-early-voting-totals-shock-every-conservative-core-abbott-email-says

Democrats in early voting in Texas primaries are voting like a presidential election year (actually they're voting more than 2016) Republicans are voting about like 2014, up slightly.

Registered Democrat voters

County  2014,    2016,    2018 (to date)

Harris 8,399   23,361    24,935
Dallas 12,907   17,229    19,829
Tarrant 7,955   12,266    10,379
Bexar 11,785   17,806    16,464
Travis 8,276    17,525    19,082
Collin 2,110    5,493     6,725
Denton  1,390    5,086     5,305

There's a decent amount of excitement about O'Rourke.  I think he has a chance against Cruz but..... won't win.  I have lived in Travis County long enough now to know not to get too excited about what Travis County (or Bexar, or Harris, etc..) residents are up too politically when it comes to Texas as a whole. 

Texas is becoming more competitive though.  I just don't think we'll be so lucky as to send Cruz packing from the Senate this year.  

2 minutes ago, S John said:

There's a decent amount of excitement about O'Rourke.  I think he has a chance against Cruz but..... won't win.  I have lived in Travis County long enough now to know not to get too excited about what Travis County (or Bexar, or Harris, etc..) residents are up too politically when it comes to Texas as a whole. 

Texas is becoming more competitive though.  I just don't think we'll be so lucky as to send Cruz packing from the Senate this year.  

I doubt it as well.  In addition, the Texas House gerrymander is rock solid.  Even if the Democrats manage D+9 in the overall House vote, Republicans will still hold 24 of the 36 Texas seats.  

Nonetheless, the potential gain would be immense.  If Democrats were to somehow win the governorship (and enough state house seats to avoid a Republican supermajority), that could be 5 House seats right there.

4 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I doubt it as well.  In addition, the Texas House gerrymander is rock solid.  Even if the Democrats manage D+9 in the overall House vote, Republicans will still hold 24 of the 36 Texas seats.  

Nonetheless, the potential gain would be immense.  If Democrats were to somehow win the governorship (and enough state house seats to avoid a Republican supermajority), that could be 5 House seats right there.

Yea, I live in Texas' 25th district - in that little appendage that creeps into Austin.  As is the case for all congressional districts of which Austin is a part, I'm in a peninsula connected to a vast swath of rural Texas .  Therefore, even though I live in the most liberal city in Texas (and pretty liberal by national standards as well), my congressman is Republican Roger Williams who lives near Fort Worth, a completely different metropolitan area 3.5 hours away.  

Kushner's revoked clearance and the continued 'executive privilege' by former Trump Team members has drawn me to a conclusion. 

I leave a 3% chance that I'm wrong, but they're just fucking dumb. The rich fucks are being used by Stepehen Miller and their ilk and they think their lives are going to go on normally after all this.

Miller and Kelly know that if Russia doesn't outright change ballots that Trump won't be able to go to Mar a Lago with his entire staff being dragged in front of House committee after House committee until they kill themselves.

Jared Kushner will age ten years before he goes to prison. 

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I think we should also underline the fact that Delta is well within its rights to withdraw preferential status for any organization it chooses. The dumbass from Georgia on the other hand would be performing something quite illegal if he were to single our Delta in terms of legislation (tax or otherwise).

Honestly, I think the NRA and its paid politicians overreached in this particular instance of a mass shooting. Not sure why, but some tipping point has been reached that has caused a whole lot of crazy talk from people fearful that the status quo is being upended..

What could possibly go wrong?

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Great point!  I hadn't even really thought about the illegality of Cagle singling out Delta (I was too busy just trying to keep my head above the  level of sheer hypocrisy).  Also, Delta is certainly within its rights to politically support whomever it wants.  Cagle might want to give that a bit more thought...

3 hours ago, Shryke said:

This isn't a court of law silly. We can know things are true without Mueller having an air tight case that will result in a conviction on the issue. This isn't just noise and I have no idea why you've decided to defend Trump here.

What we know to be true is that Trump and his org is pumped full of Russian money. Because he can't get funding basically anywhere else.

Your assertions are meaningless because the only way Trump gets removed early is if Mueller actually indicts Trump, or at the very least strongly condemns him in his report. 

Even worse, if nothing comes of Mueller's exhaustive investigation, Trump can credibly assert that he's innocent of all charges and it backs up his narrative that the investigation is just a witch hunt, that it's all fake news, blah blah blah.  It's naive to believe that what we already know about Trump is enough to bring him down, when much of your allegations were already known before Trump was elected.  Mueller needs to find the smoking gun, and I hope he does, or else we could have 8 years of Trump.

5 minutes ago, Mudguard said:

Your assertions are meaningless because the only way Trump gets removed early is if Mueller actually indicts Trump, or at the very least strongly condemns him in his report. 

Even worse, if nothing comes of Mueller's exhaustive investigation, Trump can credibly assert that he's innocent of all charges and it backs up his narrative that the investigation is just a witch hunt, that it's all fake news, blah blah blah.  It's naive to believe that what we already know about Trump is enough to bring him down, when much of your allegations were already known before Trump was elected.  Mueller needs to find the smoking gun, and I hope he does, or else we could have 8 years of Trump.

He can assert whatever he wants, but there have already been 5 guilty pleas (including his National Security Advisor and Deputy Campaign Manager), 13 Russians and 3 Russian entities under indictment and his campaign manager under a 32 count indictment. Regardless of whether they ultimately get Trump for something or not, this is still one of the biggest political scandals we've had and the investigation has more than justified itself.

That being said, lots more to come here. This isn't remotely over.

1 minute ago, Mudguard said:

There's a lot of middle ground between Mueller removing Trump from office and Mueller declaring Trump innocent of all charges.  We already know that Mueller will conclude that Trump's campaign acted recklessly and brought on several key members who were engaged in criminal acts (Flynn, Manafort, Gates) and who sought to collude with Russia (Trump Jr., Manafort, Kushner, Papadopolous).  Best case scenario for Trump is that Mueller also indicates that Trump himself did not engage in collusion, and that none of the senior staff were successful in colluding with the Russian election interference that occurred in 2014-2016.  While I'm sure that Trump will try and spin that as "innocent of all charges!" only a fool would believe it.  Just based on what we already know, this is the second biggest presidential scandal since WW2.

CNN is reporting that the WAPO has just published a story saying at least 4 countries discussed ways of manipulating Kushner based on his business dealings.

Blackmail is a reason not to get a security clearance, or, at least, the potential you'll be blackmailed.

Archived