Interstellar Weirwood Conspiracy

50 minutes ago, John Suburbs said:

And to @By Odin's Beard:

Except on our Earth, you can only see five of these planets with the naked eye: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Sure, Planetos has telescopes, but few people have them so it isn't likely that the smallfolk or the wildlings would refer to seven wanderers just because some master says there are two more that you can't see.

So I'm open to some explanation as to why there are two extra visible planets in the night sky, but it seems to me this would be a more likely scenario for the future, not the past. But maybe something to do with the legend about the second moon cracking apart?

And yes, some of the constellations are intriguing, particularly The Sword of the Morning, which sounds an awfully lot like Cygnus: the bright white star in the hilt would be Deneb, one of the brightest stars in the sky

Am I correct that the seven wanderers are only mentioned one time?

Maester Luwin had taught him his stars as a boy in Winterfell; he had learned the names of the twelve houses of heaven and the rulers of each; he could find the seven wanderers sacred to the Faith

If so, that is not very strong evidence against me, and might actually be evidence for me, especially since one of the central tenets of my theory is that the weirwood is capturing celestial bodies and pulling them into the planet.

It looked as if the tree was trying to catch the moon and drag it down into the well.

On another note, this is a kinda flimsy reason, but  I don't think it is the future because someone sees a "tiger that carries her cubs in a pouch" which is obviously a Tasmanian tiger and they are extinct now.

1 hour ago, John Suburbs said:

Except on our Earth, you can only see five of these planets with the naked eye: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. Sure, Planetos has telescopes, but few people have them so it isn't likely that the smallfolk or the wildlings would refer to seven wanderers just because some master says there are two more that you can't see.

Who said that all seven could be seen from Planetos with a naked eye?

ASOS, Chapter 26, Jon:

So many stars, he thought as he trudged up the slope through pines and firs and ash. Maester Luwin had taught him his stars as a boy in Winterfell; he had learned the names of the twelve houses of heaven and the rulers of each; he could find the seven wanderers sacred to the Faith; he was old friends with the Ice Dragon, the Shadowcat, the Moonmaid, and the Sword of the Morning. All those he shared with Ygritte, but not some of the others. We look up at the same stars, and see such different things. The King’s Crown was the Cradle, to hear her tell it; the Stallion was the Horned Lord; the red wanderer that septons preached was sacred to their Smith up here was called the Thief. And when the Thief was in the Moonmaid, that was a propitious time for a man to steal a woman, Ygritte insisted.

Yes, he could find. Give him telescope and he will find them all. This is about 7 planets.

Next is 12 houses of heaven, that are 12 castellations. They are:

1. the Ice Dragon
  2. the Shadowcat
  3. the Moonmaid
  4. the Sword of the Morning
  5. the Sow
  6. he Crone's Lantern
  7. the Galley
  8. the Ghost
  9. The King’s Crown - the Cradle
  10. the Stallion - the Horned Lord

"the red wanderer that septons preached was sacred to their Smith up here was called the Thief." - this is a planet, not a castellation.

So we don't know 2 more castellations, because so far they weren't named anywhere.

And what Jon thought, that he can find 7 wanderers/planets, doesn't mean that he can find them without usage of telescope. And we know that there was a telescope in Winterfell.

Also based on what Jon thought, wildlings know only SIX castellations. Four of them amongs wildlings have the same names, and two have different names - the King's Crown and the Stallion named by maesters, by wildlings were named the Cradle and the Horned Lord. So six castellations are seen by naked eye, but we don't know how many wanderers/planets can be seen without usage of telescope. We know for sure, only that Red Wanderer is clearly visible.

4 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

the weirwood is capturing celestial bodies and pulling them into the planet.

Can we cure the weirwood of wanting to meteor bang us and tsunami splash our best continent?   Or is it just something one has to put up with?   

Where are the weir's main fat deposits?    Does it get bloated after drawing down the moon?   So it has a cosmic attraction that's not healthy for itself or the planet it's on currently.   Yeah, lots of relationships share that problem.   If the root system crash landed here, how did its biomass survive atmospheric entry?    Better to have it start as a metallic substance that then leached into the water table & life forms here and altered the trees into starchild dark awareness?   

I liked when they had monsters come from the moon in final fantasy......8?   A mega- massive teardrop made of monsters packed tight like sardines by gravitic forces in order to survive the journey, in a display that felt both awesome and silly simultaneously.    I wonder if George played that.   Where else would he have gotten the idea from.   Dragons popping out of a moon like the filling in a Cadbury egg.   That's childish.   But what if a roaming planet collided with one of planetos' moons, and most life got wiped out except for the dragons that were able to hold their breath in space briefly to fly into our atmosphere and join us.  Then the weir could be fungus on their hydes that they brought with them.

22 minutes ago, The Mother of The Others said:

Can we cure the weirwood of wanting to meteor bang us and tsunami splash our best continent?   Or is it just something one has to put up with?   

Where are the weir's main fat deposits?    Does it get bloated after drawing down the moon?   So it has a cosmic attraction that's not healthy for itself or the planet it's on currently.   Yeah, lots of relationships share that problem.   If the root system crash landed here, how did its biomass survive atmospheric entry?    Better to have it start as a metallic substance that then leached into the water table & life forms here and altered the trees into starchild dark awareness?   

I liked when they had monsters come from the moon in final fantasy......8?   A mega- massive teardrop made of monsters packed tight like sardines by gravitic forces in order to survive the journey, in a display that felt both awesome and silly simultaneously.    I wonder if George played that.   Where else would he have gotten the idea from.   Dragons popping out of a moon like the filling in a Cadbury egg.   That's childish.   But what if a roaming planet collided with one of planetos' moons, and most life got wiped out except for the dragons that were able to hold their breath in space briefly to fly into our atmosphere and join us.  Then the weir could be fungus on their hydes that they brought with them.

I get that you don't like the topic, you can just ignore it.  But they think that microbes can survive being carried here on a meteor.  And a 30 second google search could have spared you writing two paragraphs.

On 3/7/2018 at 8:03 PM, By Odin's Beard said:

Can you give me specifics on the constellations and planets?  I am having trouble googling it.  And/or specific criticisms about the theory?

The whole point of the theory is that it is garbled mythologized history, so the distances and sizes are highly suspect.

But the fact that a minute detail such as Antwerp (Braavos) being in the right place, on the right continent, engaged in the correct commercial activities does not sway you at all?

Arya's description of Braavos "Beyond the harbor she glimpsed streets of grey stone houses, built so close they leaned one upon the other. To Arya's eyes they were queer-looking, four and five stories tall and very skinny, with sharp-peaked tile roofs like pointed hats."

And here is a couples pictures of Buildings in Antwerp

First of all sorry for the late response....and to answer you directly no I do not think any similarities in geography make earth and planetos the same. I think asoiaf is a work of fiction set in a fictional world based on earth. For example you call bravos Antwerp to fit your theory, I have honestly never seen this comparison before, most people chose Venice, which would place it in the wrong spot.

I will try to find a link to what I am talking about but as regards to the size of planetos, there have been multiple threads and a lot of time spent calculating the distances between places and discussing whether or not it would be faster for Dani to reach westeros by sailing east and many debating whether or not Euron did in fact circumnavigate planetos.

The general consensus of all those threads/calculation is that planetos is about 8 percent larger in diameter than the earth.

I will concede that written descriptions of constellations are subjective and could be anything. And they are most likely based on real world ones anyway.

There's no malice here.     the weiring of the religions above really was fascinating, which is why I'm here, as a fan of The Colour from Outer Space by that Lovecraft guy.   Shoehorning weir into every single world myth also seemed like good straight-man material that appealed to the absurdist in me, as if maybe you harbored the secret hope someone would come along with a punchline or two.   This was not the case.   So please carry on and feel no ill will , as i sent only a razzing born of appreciation and some slight concern over how in- depth it was getting.  And i wasn't lying about liking Emerald City, that thing was like the love child of Oz and Game of Thrones.   Nor about my unemployability, which is real.

On 3/7/2018 at 7:33 PM, Megorova said:

Earth was larger than it is now.

Planets are formed from gas and dust. Dust gathers into roks, clumps of rocks combine together, into sphere shape. Undernear the surface there's planet's core, lava, magma, gas. Gas burns out, the core becomes more solid and smaller, and less hot, and the surface also becomes smaller. During this shrinking, outer layer is cracking, tectonic plates move and crash together, and this form mountains, and exessive water evaporates. So originally Earth was larger, but less solid. In the beginning it was just a huge cloud of gas and cosmic dust. But it was coming together, becoming more dense, and simultaneously smaller. Now Earth is becoming bigger, because of its overheating. But previously there was several Ice Ages, so in those periods the planet was becoming smaller.

Or something like that. My English level (not my native language) isn't high enough, to explain this concept (terraforming process) properly. So just google it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formation_and_evolution_of_the_Solar_System#Formation_of_the_planets

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accretion_(astrophysics)#Accretion_of_planets

Seven wanderers are 1. Mars, 2. Venus, 3. Mercury, 4. Jupiter, 5. Saturn, 6. Uranus, 7. Neptune. And Pluto is not a planet (since 2006), and it was discovered only in 1930, so ancient people didn't knew about its existence.

There are 10 constellations, that are named different from those, that are visible from Earth. And we have close to zero information about them, to judge whether they are the same as ours (Lion, Virgo, Scorpio, etc.), or different.

We have 12, and they have 10. So maybe those 10 are our 10, only without Lion and Virgo, because for them they are Lion of Night and Maiden-Made-of-Light.

Your English is fine....and I'm no scientist but I am aware of what you said about the earth growing and shrinking.....

However...

The calculations I speak of( use the search fuction on this site, maybe in the world book section)put planetos at 8 percent larger in diameter than earth, too much for the fluctuation you speak of in the amount of time we are referring to.

As to the constellations I agree that written descriptions are too few and too vague to use as evidence one way or another, and honestly it's possible they are fictional and still based on real world constellations.

39 minutes ago, Back door hodor said:

First of all sorry for the late response....and to answer you directly no I do not think any similarities in geography make earth and planetos the same. I think asoiaf is a work of fiction set in a fictional world based on earth. For example you call bravos Antwerp to fit your theory, I have honestly never seen this comparison before, most people chose Venice, which would place it in the wrong spot.

I will try to find a link to what I am talking about but as regards to the size of planetos, there have been multiple threads and a lot of time spent calculating the distances between places and discussing whether or not it would be faster for Dani to reach westeros by sailing east and many debating whether or not Euron did in fact circumnavigate planetos.

The general consensus of all those threads/calculation is that planetos is about 8 percent larger in diameter than the earth.

I will concede that written descriptions of constellations are subjective and could be anything. And they are most likely based on real world ones anyway.

With regards to Braavos or any of the free cities, until yesterday I had hardly given a single thought about what real life cities they might be.  I just looked at a map of Europe and went from there.  But if in a passage George described your exact house, right where it should be in the real world, you would still think it wasn't supposed to be your Earth?  Or that he was trying to tell you something more?

It is obviously a work of fiction, but he is trying to write something more meaningful than just a fantasy on a parallel Earth.

Once again though, dates and distances are highly suspect according to this theory.  There is the line

Some claimed a man could see all the way to the Wall from the top [of the Hightower]

Of course they were being figurative, or talking about glass candles.  But just for fun, according to my reckoning, if the Hightower is 800ft tall, and the Wall is 700ft tall, then they can be a maximum 67 miles apart before the curvature of the Earth (our earth) obscures the view.  So the distance from Oldtown to the Wall is somewhere between 67 and 3400 miles? 

But if the Lighthouse of Alexandria was at most 400ft tall, and it was the tallest structure in the ancient world.  I would think maybe cut measurements in half?

13 minutes ago, By Odin's Beard said:

With regards to Braavos or any of the free cities, until yesterday I had hardly given a single thought about what real life cities they might be.  I just looked at a map of Europe and went from there.  But if in a passage George described your exact house, right where it should be in the real world, you would still think it wasn't supposed to be your Earth?  Or that he was trying to tell you something more?

It is obviously a work of fiction, but he is trying to write something more meaningful than just a fantasy on a parallel Earth.

Once again though, dates and distances are highly suspect according to this theory.

I suppose we are going to continue to disagree on this one but I  would like add something......

I don't find the story or it's message lessened in any way by being set on a fantasy parallel to earth as opposed to being set in the past or future of this world.

I also think the rest of your theory could stand on it's own without trying to prove planetos is earth.( still wouldn't agree though to be honest).

15 hours ago, Back door hodor said:

I suppose we are going to continue to disagree on this one but I  would like add something......

I don't find the story or it's message lessened in any way by being set on a fantasy parallel to earth as opposed to being set in the past or future of this world.

I also think the rest of your theory could stand on it's own without trying to prove planetos is earth.( still wouldn't agree though to be honest).

Give me something to got on then. 

What is the deal with Weirwood, why does it like human blood so much, is that not suspicious?  Everything we learned from the House of Black and White is that there is only one god, that is Death, the Stranger with stars for eyes.  Why does the House of Black and White, which is a Death Cult, so closely resemble a nicer version of Bloodraven's cave? 

What is up with the Isle of Faces, why the mystery?

The children pulled down "the hammer of the waters" which was an asteroid.   Bloodstone was an asteroid.  Qartheen myth says that there was a second orbiting body that got blown up and that dragons were asteroids.  What is up with all the asteroid talk?  Why did Bran describe that weirwood as wanting to pull down the moon?  What's the Red Comet supposed to be about?  What was the meaning of the Vhaegar vs Caraxes fight where Dragon/asteroids fell at the God's Eye Lake?  And all the getting stabbed through the eye symbolism?

Why are the seasons all weird?

What do all the glyphs mean?

What is up with the crypts below Winterfell?

Who is sent the vision to Dany the Dreamer to leave Valyria, who knew what was about to happen there? 

They said the God-on-Earth came from space, and returned to space, what's up with that?  What's with the boatload of Lovecraft cosmic horror references which are all about malevolent aliens torturing us to death?  What did the Bloodstone do to make that guy go crazy?

Why does the Great Empire so closely parallel our ancient mythologies "Just worldbuilding" doesn't cut it.  It is there for a reason.

Why do there seem to have been planet-wide civilizations that are gone now?  Who were they and what happened to them?

Why have the humans been stuck in the middle ages for thousands of years?

What is the significance of the Eyrie being an impregnable mountain fortress where Weirwood doesn't grow?

Why do the white walkers seem 100% evil, when George hates good vs evil stories?  What is the twist going to be?

Jon said "The weirwood was the heart of Winterfell, Lord Eddard always said . . . but to save the castle Jon would have to tear that heart up by its ancient roots, and feed it to the red woman's hungry fire god."  What was that supposed to mean?

What I proposed answers all these questions and more, but you just say "I don't like it"  and don't propose any alternative theory?

I think--George being an atheist and a pacifist and a hardcore sci-fi guy at heart--the point of the story is going to be that the reason humans have believed in god and killed each other over whose god is better for 10,000 years, and engaged in countless actual human sacrifices to god, and created untold misery in his name is because in our distant past before the flood, god was a real thing, magic was a real thing, human sacrifice actually worked.  But we killed god.  We are just stuck with the superstition after the actual magic has departed.  That the sooner we realize that god is truly dead, the sooner we can just move on with our lives, and try to fix the damage that has been done. (also bankers are parasites, and usury is bad, stay out of debt kids, and anyone who wants to rule isn't fit to rule)  That is why I think it is important that it is set in our world.

13 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

Give me something to got on then. 

What is the deal with Weirwood, why does it like human blood so much, is that not suspicious?  Everything we learned from the House of Black and White is that there is only one god, that is Death, the Stranger with stars for eyes.  Why does the House of Black and White, which is a Death Cult, so closely resemble a nicer version of Bloodraven's cave? 

What is up with the Isle of Faces, why the mystery?

The children pulled down "the hammer of the waters" which was an asteroid.   Bloodstone was an asteroid.  Qartheen myth says that there was a second orbiting body that got blown up and that dragons were asteroids.  What is up with all the asteroid talk?  Why did Bran describe that weirwood as wanting to pull down the moon?  What's the Red Comet supposed to be about?  What was the meaning of the Vhaegar vs Caraxes fight where Dragon/asteroids fell at the God's Eye Lake?  And all the getting stabbed through the eye symbolism?

Why are the seasons all weird?

What do all the glyphs mean?

What is up with the crypts below Winterfell?

Who is sent the vision to Dany the Dreamer to leave Valyria, who knew what was about to happen there? 

They said the God-on-Earth came from space, and returned to space, what's up with that?  What's with the boatload of Lovecraft cosmic horror references which are all about malevolent aliens torturing us to death?  What did the Bloodstone do to make that guy go crazy?

Why does the Great Empire so closely parallel our ancient mythologies "Just worldbuilding" doesn't cut it.  It is there for a reason.

Why do there seem to have been planet-wide civilizations that are gone now?  Who were they and what happened to them?

Why have the humans been stuck in the middle ages for thousands of years?

Why do the white walkers seem 100% evil, when George hates good vs evil stories?  What is the twist going to be?

Jon said "The weirwood was the heart of Winterfell, Lord Eddard always said . . . but to save the castle Jon would have to tear that heart up by its ancient roots, and feed it to the red woman's hungry fire god."  What was that supposed to mean?

What I proposed answers all these questions and more, but you just say "I don't like it"  and don't propose any alternative theory?

I think--George being an atheist and a pacifist and a hardcore sci-fi guy at heart--the point of the story is going to be that the reason humans have believed in god and killed each other over whose god is better for 10,000 years, and engaged in countless actual human sacrifices to god, and created untold misery in his name is because in our distant past before the flood, god was a real thing, magic was a real thing, human sacrifice actually worked.  But we killed god.  We are just stuck with the superstition after the actual magic has departed.  That the sooner we realize that god is truly dead, the sooner we can just move on with our lives, and try to fix the damage that has been done. (also bankers are parasites, and usury is bad, stay out of debt kids, and anyone who wants to rule isn't fit to rule)  That is why I think it is important that it is set in our world.

To be honest I thought I did....the whole weirwood theory can still happen if planetos isn't earth, as can your alternate timeline.

I am not going to go through point by point and debate you, I have given a reason as to why I physically don't think they are the same planet(size). I'll will agree that I think that we the readers are not told the real and true history of world, and there are defiantly gaps to fill in. 

I don't propose an alternative because I don't subscribe to one. I believe that weirwoods are definitely more than just trees, but not to the level you do. I think the stuff in the world book is cool and important but I don't think the bloodstone emperor/the grey king/the god on earth/ will have any bearing whatsoever on the main narrative of Asoiaf. I do not think great empire were extra terrestrial, and I think dragons are dragons, not spaceships. 

3 hours ago, Back door hodor said:

I don't propose an alternative because I don't subscribe to one. I believe that weirwoods are definitely more than just trees, but not to the level you do. I think the stuff in the world book is cool and important but I don't think the bloodstone emperor/the grey king/the god on earth/ will have any bearing whatsoever on the main narrative of Asoiaf. I do not think great empire were extra terrestrial, and I think dragons are dragons, not spaceships. 

The dragons could be dragons, I would be fine with that. 

But Euron is the Bloodstone Emperor returned, he committed blood betrayal (killed Balon), usurped his sister (niece), practices evil sorcery, (and soon necromancy) tortures people to death, probably has a weirwood/bloodstone in his eye socket "the patch conceals a black eye shining with malice" He is depicted as Cthulhu, drinks a alot of Shade of the Evening.  On the TV show he is trying to take a tiger (lion) woman for his bride.

" A tall and twisted thing with one black eye and ten long arms, sailing on a sea of blood "

"Euron Bloodeye", stating that the eye underneath the patch is a red so dark that it appears black.

He showed the world his blood eye now, dark and terrible. Clad head to heel in scale as dark as onyx, he sat upon a mound of blackened skulls as dwarfs capered round his feet and a forest burned behind him.

He is Jormungandr (and Apep) the world serpent, agent of chaos, looking to hijack the weirwood.net to become a god, knows no fear and that is the fault in him for every man must know fear.  He will poison the sky, and be killed by Thor/Gendry/asteroid at Ragnarok

He is the Crow’s Eye, crows are Loki's animals (Raven's are Odin's)  He had the same flying dreams as Bran that the three-eyed crow sent.(the 3-eyed crow is not Bloodraven)  The all-seeing-eye third eye symbol is his sigil.  The eye is black and red like the bloodstone.

One of Loki's (Night King?) three children, the other two being Bran (Fenrir) and Lady Stone Heart/Arya (Hel). “Loki, at the helm of the ship Naglfar (‘Ship of the Dead’)” All being vengeful gods of death and retribution that destroy Westeros during Ragnarok.

Egyptian Mythology

Ra

the sun god of Ancient Egypt. King of the Gods, father of the gods, patron of the pharaoh, and one of the central gods of the Egyptian pantheon,

Ra created himself from the primordial chaos.  He was also described as the creator of everything. Ra was so powerful and popular and his worship was so enduring that some modern commentators have argued that the Egyptian religion was in fact a form of veiled monotheism with Ra as the one god. The ancient Egyptians worshiped Ra more than any other god and pharaohs often connected themselves with Ra in their efforts to be seen as the earthly embodiment of the Sun God. 

His main symbol is the solar disc, he represents sunlight, warmth and growth. Ancient Egyptians would believe him to be the creator of the world, as well as part of him being represented in every other god.

Humans were created from Ra’s tears.

In the Legend of Ra, Isis and the Snake, as Ra grew old, he dribbled saliva. Isis knew that Ra’s power was hidden in his secret name. Isis gathered Ra’s saliva and created a snake out of it. She set the snake in Ra’s path and it bit him. Isis wanted the power Ra had always enjoyed, but she knew she had to get him to tell her his secret name. Eventually, because of the pain he was in, Ra allowed Isis to “search through him” and in so doing, she healed him and Ra’s power was transferred over to her.

Isis is the Weirwood, tricked Ra and assimilated him into the Weirwood network, and stole his powers.  Stole fire from the gods?

According to another myth, Ra ruled on earth as Pharaoh until he became old and weary. The people had lost respect for him and no longer obeyed his laws and so Ra decided that they should be punished. He sent his "Eye" to teach them a lesson, but then had to arrange to get her drunk to prevent her killing everyone. Once the danger had been averted, Ra decided it was time for him to leave the world to Horus (who took his place as the king) and travel across the sky on Nut's (the moon) back.

During his journey across the heavens during the day, he fought with his main enemy, an evil serpent named Apep, or also, The Lord of Chaos. In some stories, Ra, in the form of a cat named Mau, defeats the evil serpent, Apep. This is part of the reason why cats are so highly-revered in Egypt.

Ra is the God-on-Earth, from the Great Empire of the Dawn.  Created humans, was a benevolent Solar King for many years, always fighting the Lord of Chaos.  Grew old tired, his power declined and mankind no longer obeyed his laws, the All-Seeing-Eye then almost killed every human.  All-seeing-eye-pocalyspse sounds like Bloodstone Emperor/Weirwood Alliance.  Returned to the sky, and left the world to other gods. A cat killed Apep, could be Arya?

Set, Apep, Osiris, Isis, and Horus all seem to be aspects of the Weirwood, it gets a little confusing.  Except for Apep, they are all brothers and sisters created by the union of Geb (earth) and Nut (sky) after the creation of the world.

Set

is a god of the desert, storms, disorder, violence, and foreigners, Nut (goddess of the sky) was his mother, "instigator of confusion" and "destroyer"

“Set had a positive role where he accompanies Ra on his solar boat to repel Apep, the serpent of Chaos. Set had a vital role as a reconciled combatant. He was lord of the red (desert) land where he was the balance to Horus' role as lord of the black (soil) land.

It was said that each night Apep hypnotized Ra and the entourage who sail with him except for the god Set who resisted the serpent's deadly stare and repulsed him with the thrust of a great spear.  In doing so, Set assured that the sun would rise the next morning.

In Egyptian mythology, Set is portrayed as the usurper who killed and mutilated his own brother Osiris. Osiris' wife Isis reassembled (remembered) Osiris' corpse and resurrected him long enough to conceive his son and heir Horus. Horus sought revenge upon Set, and the myths describe their conflicts. This Osiris myth is a prominent theme in Egyptian mythology.”

Set is the Azor Ahai aspect of the Weirwood, storm god, his color is red, he kills his brother who is the green man fertility god, trickster god.  Keeps the Agent of Chaos (savage weirwood spirit)  at bay.  Is it Daenarys? Or the Night King?  Violence, desert (infertile), is a foreigner.  Kills Bran? Resists telepathy, his spear is Light Bringer

Ma'at

Egyptian concepts of truth, balance, order, harmony, law, morality, and justice. Maat was also the goddess who personified these concepts, and regulated the stars, seasons, and the actions of mortals and the deities who had brought order from chaos at the moment of creation. Her ideological opposite was Isfet, meaning injustice, chaos, violence or to do evil.

Apep

As the personification of all that was evil, Apep was seen as a giant snake or serpent leading to such titles as Serpent from the Nile and Evil Lizard. he stretched 16 yards in length and had a head made of flint.

the World Encircler. It was thought that his terrifying roar would cause the underworld to rumble. Myths sometimes say that Apep was trapped there, because he had been the previous chief god overthrown by Ra, or because he was evil and had been imprisoned.

Ra was the solar deity, bringer of light, and thus the upholder of Ma'at. Apep was viewed as the greatest enemy of Ra, and thus was given the title Enemy of Ra, and also "the Lord of Chaos".

“The Coffin Texts imply that Apep used a magical gaze to overwhelm Ra and his entourage. Ra was assisted by a number of defenders who travelled with him, including Set and possibly the Eye of Ra. Apep's movements were thought to cause earthquakes, and his battles with Set may have been meant to explain the origin of thunderstorms. In one account, Ra himself defeats Apep in the form of a cat.”

What few accounts there are of Apep's origin usually describe it as being born from Ra's Umbilical cord (weirwood roots?)

In an annual rite, called the Banishing of Chaos, priests would build an effigy of Apep that was thought to contain all of the evil and darkness in Egypt, and burn it to protect everyone from Apep's evil for another year.

As Apep was thought to live in the underworld, he was sometimes thought of as an Eater of Souls.

Apep is the most destructive chaotic aspect of the Weirwood network, snake symbolism is roots, world encircler means his roots go around the whole world, storm god, causes earthquakes, trapped underground, connected with the Eye of Ra (the third eye, the all-seeing eye), eater of souls, has psychic powers, brings the darkness.  This is Euron, and the Bloodstone Emperor

Osiris

He was depicted as being Green, Nut (the moon) was his mother.

Osiris found the newly-created people to be barbarous and uncivilized and so gave them culture, taught them agriculture, provided them with laws, and instructed them in the proper ways to worship the gods.

“The cult of Osiris (who was a god chiefly of regeneration and rebirth) had a particularly strong interest in the concept of immortality. Set fooled Osiris into getting into a box, which Set then shut, sealed with lead, and threw into the Nile. Osiris' wife, Isis, searched for his remains until she finally found him embedded in a tamarisk tree trunk, which was holding up the roof of a palace in Byblos on the Phoenician coast. She managed to remove the coffin and open it, but Osiris was already dead.

In one version of the myth, she used a spell learned from her father and brought him back to life so he could impregnate her. Afterwards he died again and she hid his body in the desert. Months later, she gave birth to Horus. While she raised Horus, Set was hunting one night and came across the body of Osiris.

Enraged, he tore the body into fourteen pieces and scattered them throughout the land. Isis gathered up all the parts of the body, except the penis (which had been eaten by a fish) and bandaged them together for a proper burial. The gods were impressed by the devotion of Isis and resurrected Osiris as the god of the underworld. Because of his death and resurrection, Osiris was associated with the flooding and retreating of the Nile and thus with the crops along the Nile valley.

Osiris was described as an ancient king who taught the Egyptians the arts of civilization, including agriculture, then travelled the world with his sister Isis, the satyrs, and the nine muses,”

Osiris is the dead and resurrected green man, tricked into getting embedded in a tree, fertility god, brought civilization to mankind. Garth Greenhand, and Bran

Isis

one of the main characters of the Osiris myth, in which she resurrects her slain husband, the divine king Osiris, and produces and protects his heir, Horus. She was believed to help the dead enter the afterlife as she had helped Osiris, and she was considered the divine mother of the pharaoh, who was likened to Horus. Her maternal aid was invoked in healing spells to benefit ordinary people.

She absorbed many traits from other deities. Isis' reputed magical power was greater than that of all other gods, and she was said to protect the kingdom from its enemies, to govern the skies and the natural world, and to have power over fate itself.

Isis' reputation as a compassionate deity, willing to relieve human suffering.  "mistress of life, ruler of fate and destiny"  Isis determined the length and quality of human lives.  Isis' sphere of influence could include the entire cosmos.

Isis is the mother aspect of the Weirwood, can assimilate powers from other gods, has power over fate (she is the Norns), can resurrect the dead, she protects the green man.

Horus

“Falcon, the distant one, one who is above, over" 

Man with the head of a falcon, Son of Osiris and Isis, rival to Set

“Once Isis knew she was pregnant with Horus, she fled to the Nile Delta marshlands to hide from her brother Set, who jealously killed Osiris and who she knew would want to kill their son. There Isis bore a divine son, Horus.”

Horus was occasionally shown in art as a naked boy sucking his finger while sitting on a lotus with his mother.

When Set murdered Osiris and contested Horus’s heritage (the royal throne of Egypt), Horus became Set’s enemy. Horus eventually defeated Set, thus avenging his father and assuming the rule. In the fight, Horus’s left eye (i.e., the moon) was damaged—this being a mythical explanation of the moon’s phases—and was healed by the god Thoth. The figure of the restored eye (the wedjat eye) became a powerful amulet.

Horus' left eye had also been gouged out, then a new eye was created by part of the moon god, and was replaced.  Eye of Horus is the All-Seeing-Eye

Horus’ right eye was the sun or morning star, representing power and quintessence, and whose left eye was the moon or evening star, representing healing.

After this battle, Horus was chosen to be the ruler of the world of the living.  And Pharaohs derived their legitimacy from their descent from him.

Horus is Sweet Robin!  The Falcon greenseer.  If the survivors of the story do hide out in the Eyrie during the flood, and then Sweet Robin is their king, that would be awesome, and it might explain why civilization got off to such a rough start.

Anubis

a god associated with mummification and the afterlife in ancient Egyptian religion, usually depicted as a canine or a man with a canine head (African golden wolf)

Depicted as a protector of graves as early as the First Dynasty, Anubis was also an embalmer. By the Middle Kingdom he was replaced by Osiris in his role as lord of the underworld. One of his prominent roles was as a god who ushered souls into the afterlife. He attended the weighing scale during the "Weighing of the Heart," in which it was determined whether a soul would be allowed to enter the realm of the dead. Despite being one of the most ancient and "one of the most frequently depicted and mentioned gods" in the Egyptian pantheon, Anubis played almost no role in Egyptian myths.

Anubis was depicted in black, a color that symbolized both rebirth and the discoloration of the corpse after embalming. Anubis is associated with another Egyptian god portrayed with a dog's head or in canine form, but with grey or white fur. Historians assume that the two figures were eventually combined.

Anubis was a protector of graves and cemeteries.  "He who is upon his mountain" (i.e. keeping guard over tombs from above) and "Lord of the sacred land", which designates him as a god of the desert necropolis.

Anubis protected the body of Osiris from Set. Set attempted to attack the body of Osiris by transforming himself into a leopard. Anubis stopped and subdued Set, however, and he branded Set's skin with a hot iron rod. Anubis then flayed Set and wore his skin as a warning against evil-doers who would desecrate the tombs of the dead.

Anubis has very heavy Stark symbolism, wolf head, psychopomp character, decides who is worthy to live, guards the tombs of the dead.  Jon Stark will protect Bran from Daenarys or the Night King?

The Tree of Life is an important religious symbol to the Egyptians. The Tree of Life was located within Ra’s sun temple in Heliopolis and was considered sacred. The fruit that sprang from this tree was not available to humans, but only in aging-rituals reserved for pharaohs. The Tree of Life is also referred to as the mythical, sacred Ished tree. Eternal life came to those who ate the fruit from the Tree of Life.

23 hours ago, By Odin's Beard said:

Am I correct that the seven wanderers are only mentioned one time?

If so, that is not very strong evidence against me, and might actually be evidence for me, especially since one of the central tenets of my theory is that the weirwood is capturing celestial bodies and pulling them into the planet.

On another note, this is a kinda flimsy reason, but  I don't think it is the future because someone sees a "tiger that carries her cubs in a pouch" which is obviously a Tasmanian tiger and they are extinct now.

Jon mentions them several times in the story, and I think Ygritte does too. The Faith of the Seven considers them sacred and equates each one with a god.

As for the planet-pulling weirwood tree, I guess I'll have to believe it when I see it.

22 hours ago, Megorova said:

Who said that all seven could be seen from Planetos with a naked eye?

ASOS, Chapter 26, Jon:

Yes, he could find. Give him telescope and he will find them all. This is about 7 planets.

Next is 12 houses of heaven, that are 12 castellations. They are:

1. the Ice Dragon
  2. the Shadowcat
  3. the Moonmaid
  4. the Sword of the Morning
  5. the Sow
  6. he Crone's Lantern
  7. the Galley
  8. the Ghost
  9. The King’s Crown - the Cradle
  10. the Stallion - the Horned Lord

"the red wanderer that septons preached was sacred to their Smith up here was called the Thief." - this is a planet, not a castellation.

So we don't know 2 more castellations, because so far they weren't named anywhere.

And what Jon thought, that he can find 7 wanderers/planets, doesn't mean that he can find them without usage of telescope. And we know that there was a telescope in Winterfell.

Also based on what Jon thought, wildlings know only SIX castellations. Four of them amongs wildlings have the same names, and two have different names - the King's Crown and the Stallion named by maesters, by wildlings were named the Cradle and the Horned Lord. So six castellations are seen by naked eye, but we don't know how many wanderers/planets can be seen without usage of telescope. We know for sure, only that Red Wanderer is clearly visible.

As above, the Faith considers the wanderers to be sacred and equates each one to an aspect of God. I'm not sure when Myrish Eyes were developed, but the faith is at least several thousand years old, long before modern Myr was even established.

It just seems unlikely that our mythologies would arise from five wandering planets while Planetos' included two extra that only the wealthy and educated could see. That's not how it usually works.

Euron , agent of chaos, looking to hijack the weirwoods to become a god
     literally 'pirating' the signal, like stealing cable tv.   That's how he's always a step ahead, by seeing everyone's movements on the board.   I was already onboard with this before the bloodstone emperor bit even hit stores.   Has to stay at sea, maybe, or else Children would track him down.  He benefits from their demise via Others' hands, and can then step ashore and emperorize away unmatched.

Anubis then flayed Set 
        whoa.   That stands out.   This counts as another "already went there"!  - ->  If you lump Boltons in with Starks as doers of the Anubis task, what if sketchy Boltons were allowed to persist by wary Starks because of a fated use of their flaying skills: to don the flesh of an Other and sneak past the 'underworld' checkpoint and into the deep north, on the mission that really counts.   As magic gains strength, a semblance of life may be retained in the worn flesh, ala Faceless men's masks.   A truer illusion that could fool other Others!

SET is night king , or Daenerys?    ...Set had a positive role where he accompanies Ra on his solar boat to repel Apep. 
      So the rub of this would be if the night king is actually defending the world for our ungrateful asses, shielding us against something worse: Apep, or The Great Other as it's been styled in the text.   And that's why he's gunning for.... the Weirnet & the Children?   Humanity?   I haven't been able to buy in to either of those being a good answer, motivation wise.   I don't see the weir "infestation" as malignant (unless abused by someone like Euron), nor the Children as the big bad here.   But if you produce an as- yet- unseen threat of The Great Other, like an Ice Dragon for example intent on total Life death..... then the Night King starts to look like he's on a mission of mercy when he kills and converts humanity into wights, as this may be shielding us from the true enemy in the only way that allows us to trudge on past death.    It seems most undesireable to us, sure, but Set of the Cold just needs to complete his tool kit by hooking up with the Set of the Desert, Daenerys with her fire power- - -  We've already seen that 'warmer' (less dead) zombies are possible with Thoros raising Dondarrion (sp?) and Catelyn.    If there's no food this winter..... the way you survive is by loading up the Eyrie like Noah's Ark and everyone else gets turned into warm zombies to fight to protect the breeders in that last bastion castle.

sweetrobin is Horus! 

oh no!  That's the first good reason i've ever heard to keep Robin alive!   If he's twitchy because greenseer.   Awww, Bran could speak to Sansa through the lil' twirp!

Egypt is the best.

2 hours ago, John Suburbs said:

It just seems unlikely that our mythologies would arise from five wandering planets while Planetos' included two extra that only the wealthy and educated could see. That's not how it usually works.

Probably when GRRM was writting ASOIAF, he didn't tried to make Planetos identical to Earth, even though he used it as basis. Also maybe he didn't used too detailed informations for his references. Majority know what planets there are in Solar System, and how many of them there are. But I don't think, that out of that majority, everyone is aware of which of those planets are visible by naked eye, and which could be seen only thru telescope. So maybe GRRM didn't knew, or didn't remembered, or didn't cared, about how many of Solar System's planets are visible without telescope. But he decided that seven is a good number, he used it as a central number for one of created by him fictional religions, and thus he also wrote about seven planets. So even though only five of our planets are visible, it doesn't prove that Planetos isn't based on Earth.  

Isn't it conceivable that there are so many similarities between all of these ancient AND modern mythologies because....archetypes are a real thing and kind of inescapable? You can turn them on their heads and invert them, you can combine them, you can dress them up, but in the end, they are pretty universal. *shrugs* The story doesn't have to be something EVEN MORE META to mean something; just exploring those archetypes is pretty meaningful already. 

BUT, I do believe that half the meaning in any work Isn't created by the author anyway; it's finished being created in the mind of the reader. I tend to view and authors purpose as separate from the ultimate meaning of a work, which surely includes the reader's perception, too. Its not wrong to view the weirwoods as interstellar fungus. It's downright creative and interesting for sure. But it would be a mistake to say, "I'm right, this is what the book means, case closed," at least, unless the author comes out and says it. 

4 minutes ago, Bitterblooms said:

Isn't it conceivable that there are so many similarities between all of these ancient AND modern mythologies because....archetypes are a real thing and kind of inescapable? You can turn them on their heads and invert them, you can combine them, you can dress them up, but in the end, they are pretty universal. *shrugs* The story doesn't have to be something EVEN MORE META to mean something; just exploring those archetypes is pretty meaningful already. 

BUT, I do believe that half the meaning in any work Isn't created by the author anyway; it's finished being created in the mind of the reader. I tend to view and authors purpose as separate from the ultimate meaning of a work, which surely includes the reader's perception, too. Its not wrong to view the weirwoods as interstellar fungus. It's downright creative and interesting for sure. But it would be a mistake to say, "I'm right, this is what the book means, case closed," at least, unless the author comes out and says it. 

I very much agree w/ all of this. 

Archived