US Politics: Stormy Weather Ahead

Fragile Bird

44 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Lost in all the Tillerson news is the fact that the US government has blocked a huge deal, Broadcom’s aquisition of Qualcomm. Qualcomm has now become a company virtually no one can acquire, because of it’s importance to the US.. 5g communications.

And that CIA woman is Gina Haspel. She of ‘enhanced interrogation techniques’.

Remind me of past issues - wasn’t a Bush era Justice department lawyer or lawyers fingered for writing a memo in support of ‘enhanced interrogation’, and lost a job or promotion?

And best unfortunate quote from a loyal State Department employee to a reporter yesterday - Rex Tillerson is not going anywhere, he’s the Secretary of Stay.

Well yeah Alberto fucking Gonzalez legalized torture and everyone clapped.  Trump has been a vocal advocate of torture so this is all right in the wheelhouse.

6 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

Ahahaha hahahaha nothing to see here

Based on reporting, no one liked him in the WH so he was probably always going once Tillerson went regardless of whether he made that statement or not. But still, looks pretty terrible that he got fired for telling the truth.

37 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Also this...

What happened to hiring the best people?

Also, how in god’s name is he going to Trump’s 2020 campaign if he just got fired because he possibly committed serious financial crimes?

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Also, how in god’s name is he going to Trump’s 2020 campaign if he just got fired because he possibly committed serious financial crimes?

I just heard about that and I almost fell over in shock.

They know why he’s being investigated, and he’s going to work on the re-election campaign?

I had intended to respond to Mexal’s previous post by saying Kelly is just getting rid of WH staff who have not been able to get their clearances, but wtf is going on?

Of all the people Trump has fired (or have left of their own accord), I believe Tillerson is somewhat unique in not being a Trump loyalist or involved in the campaign. Would be interesting to see if he remains mum or comes out with some juicy details on what really goes on inside the White House (based on the shoddy way he was let go).

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I doubt Trump and team care what he's done. If he hasn't been convicted, he didn't do anything wrong. And being on the 2020 campaign means he'll be under the radar and still be able to be loyal. 

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Of all the people Trump has fired (or have left of their own accord), I believe Tillerson is somewhat unique in not being a Trump loyalist or involved in the campaign. Would be interesting to see if he remains mum or comes out with some juicy details on what really goes on inside the White House (based on the shoddy way he was let go).

He'll remain mum, especially if he's going back to the oil world. Tillerson wasn't a talker anyway.

1 minute ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I wonder how many people he ruthlessly fired during his career at Big Oil. I wonder if a few stories will come out by his victims.

Karma, baby!

3 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

I mean, he does think Trump is a fucking moron. I wouldn't be surprised if and hope that he does dish some dirt now. 

He'll remain mum, especially if he's going back to the oil world. Tillerson wasn't a talker anyway.

I don't know that he is going to necessarily be depending on favors from Trump after working his administration for a year. He probably doesn't think Trump will be in a position to give out any favors in the not-so-distant future. I could be wrong, though. 

1 minute ago, IamMe90 said:

I mean, he does think Trump is a fucking moron. I wouldn't be surprised if and hope that he does dish some dirt now. 

Yah, seriously. He was ratted out by someone at that meeting to Trump, and when the story eventually leaked Tillerson was forced to do that public groveling interview where he talked about how great Trump was.

The question is, how many more humiliations does Tillerson want to talk about? What damage is he willing to do to his reputation, people will wonder why he stayed so long?

And Mexal, do you really think a big oil company is going to take on someone shamed by the POTUS? What fabulous job has been landed by someone dumped by Trump?

Any bets over how quickly the US will walk away from the Iran agreement?

1 hour ago, larrytheimp said:

Well yeah Alberto fucking Gonzalez legalized torture and everyone clapped.  Trump has been a vocal advocate of torture so this is all right in the wheelhouse.

Hush now, that is future Supreme Court justice Alberto Gonzalez you're talking about. A man destined to get 45 democrat yes votes because of his race.

15 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Yah, seriously. He was ratted out by someone at that meeting to Trump, and when the story eventually leaked Tillerson was forced to do that public groveling interview where he talked about how great Trump was.

The question is, how many more humiliations does Tillerson want to talk about? What damage is he willing to do to his reputation, people will wonder why he stayed so long?

And Mexal, do you really think a big oil company is going to take on someone shamed by the POTUS? What fabulous job has been landed by someone dumped by Trump?

Any bets over how quickly the US will walk away from the Iran agreement?

Yes, I do. Tillerson is well respected within that area. He worked his way up through Exxon to be CEO. No matter what Trump did, he'll land on his feet in that industry.

US will walk away from the Iran deal by May when it's due to be re-certified.

Bolton + Trump + Pompeo will get us all killed.

2 minutes ago, The Great Unwashed said:

Anyone watching Tillerson's presser? I'm at work and can't watch.

Can't watch but he said he received a call from Trump 3 hours after the tweet saying he was fired.

Archived