MLB 2018: Sho(hei) Me What You Got

Myshkin

Jose Berrios on the bunt: “I just know it’s not good for baseball in that situation. That’s it.” 

What’s not good for baseball is all these dudes whining about some bullshit “unwritten” rules all the time. 

13 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Over reliance on analytics is going to do that and it's frustrating as hell. That's why guys like him and Gabe Kapler were hired. This isn't the last time he's going to do that either. 

The ironic thing is that any halfway decent statistical analyst would have told Boone a handful of observations doesn't tell us much of anything and not to rely on that data to make a decision.

5 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Not just speed guys.  All guys.  The evil of the shift can't go fast enough, and hardcore hitters taking singles and junk hits through hunting and going opposite the shift is the key to it going away.  Eventually.

I'm not a fan of the shift either, but it's not going way (and is in fact becoming more common) because it works (probably).  I've wondered why guys don't just bunt down the non-shifted line for over a decade now.  Wish they did, but they don't, and the shift's prevalence is just getting worse.  Anybody catch the Astros' four-man outfield against Joey Gallo?

Part of the shift/bunt thing, to me, is that baseball is soooo much about the mental battle of trying to be the one to get the other guy to do what he’s not good at that intentionally doing that on another level is just kind of antithetical. 

1 hour ago, Ramsay B. said:

ETA: Stanton booed really loudly while Yankees up 9-4 after his 5th K. That’s just ridiculous.

This is why even I hate many Yankee fans.  Dude still has a .979 OPS after today's game.  Anyway, Didi-licious!!!

12 hours ago, dmc515 said:

This is why even I hate many Yankee fans.  Dude still has a .979 OPS after today's game.  Anyway, Didi-licious!!!

14 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Stanton with a golden sombrero, and first boos heard for him. Welcome to NY.

Yes InDidi!

ETA: Stanton booed really loudly while Yankees up 9-4 after his 5th K. That’s just ridiculous.

I'm not thrilled with 5 strikeouts but booing is just a shit move. They are the same people who are going to be sucking the Kool-Aid out of his dick when he starts hitting them by the bunch.

7 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I'm not thrilled with 5 strikeouts but booing is just a shit move. They are the same people who are going to be sucking the Kool-Aid out of his dick when he starts hitting them by the bunch.

Maybe Yankee fans have collectively adopted a Skinnerian approach?

15 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Stanton with a golden sombrero, and first boos heard for him. Welcome to NY.

Yes InDidi!

14 hours ago, dmc515 said:

1 hour ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Yankees fans will learn quickly that for every multi home run game Stanton has, there will be three games where he strikes out every time he’s at the plate. He could get away with 0-26 stretches in which he strikes out damn near every time in Miami, but he’s going to get torched for it in New York. It will be interesting to see how he responds to the negative press.  

52 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Yankees fans will learn quickly that for every multi home run game Stanton has, there will be three games where he strikes out every time he’s at the plate. He could get away with 0-26 stretches in which he strikes out damn near every time in Miami, but he’s going to get torched for it in New York. It will be interesting to see how he responds to the negative press.  

Oh yeah, they were downright mild yesterday. If he starts grounding in to double plays with a runner on third in a close game or starts striking out in big situations its going to get ugly.

56 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Dear Giancarlo,

You should have come to Boston, where the fans and media are reasonable and polite. 

Actually the media except Shaughnessy would probably polish his nuts all day, and then smear him when he left or got shipped out.

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

He could get away with 0-26 stretches in which he strikes out damn near every time in Miami, but he’s going to get torched for it in New York. It will be interesting to see how he responds to the negative press.

Meh, he's no less streaky than Judge, actually far less so last season, and he'll handle it fine. Handled it great in the postgame yesterday.

2 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

You should have come to Boston, where the fans and media are reasonable and polite. 

Ha!

3 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Oh yeah, they were downright mild yesterday. If he starts grounding in to double plays with a runner on third in a close game or starts striking out in big situations its going to get ugly.

Oh he will, just you wait. 

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Dear Giancarlo,

Actually the media except Shaughnessy would probably polish his nuts all day, and then smear him when he left or got shipped out.

Greater lies have never been spoken.

Also, haven't they been pretty horrible to Price?

23 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Meh, he's no less streaky than Judge, actually far less so last season, and he'll handle it fine. Handled it great in the postgame yesterday.

Was he? I don’t follow the Marlins, but the sports show I listen to is based out of Miami and they were saying he was terrible for the first third of the season and then just went nuts the rest of the way.

3 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Dear Giancarlo,

You’re getting into a politeness competition with a Canadian team in your division. Good luck with that, sir, and well, sorry.

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Greater lies have never been spoken.

Also, haven't they been pretty horrible to Price?

Eh... Price kinda brings it on himself. He beefed with Ortiz before he joined the Sox and he is too thin skinned with the press and on social media. Plus the shit he pulled on Eckersley last year probably eliminated any chance of him ever being popular with fans. It was legit douche move, and entitled behavior. Even worse, people are blaming him for the team's shitty attitude in general, like he became the clubhouse mayor after Ortiz left. Oh, and he's mostly underperformed on the field, too.

He should never have come to Boston. The guy feuded with the most popular player of the last half-century, he's oversensitive and thirsty, and underperforms in the playoffs -- he couldn't have been a worse fit here.

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Was he? I don’t follow the Marlins, but the sports show I listen to is based out of Miami and they were saying he was terrible for the first third of the season and then just went nuts the rest of the way.

Nah, not really.  One easy way to look at it is his monthly numbers.  He was never that bad - and actually always pretty good (minimum monthly OPS of .865 is September), he was just awesome in July, and especially August.

ETA:  BTW, he just hit a 450+ foot homerun with a 117 mph exit velocity about 20 minutes ago.

17 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

You’re getting into a politeness competition with a Canadian team in your division. Good luck with that, sir, and well, sorry.

I lol'd.

4 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Nah, not really.  One easy way to look at it is his monthly numbers.  He was never that bad - and actually always pretty good (minimum monthly OPS of .865 is September), he was just awesome in July, and especially August.

ETA:  BTW, he just hit a 450+ foot homerun with a 117 mph exit velocity about 20 minutes ago.

I lol'd.

I have the MLB.TV app so I can listen while I'm at work and it is buffering whenever he homers.

Archived