NBA Free Agency 2018: Independence day, unless you're in San Antonio

Red Tiger

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

The main thing outstanding is who gets Kahwi because he is not stayin in San Antonio.

Before I would have agreed 100%, but San Antonio is reeeeeeaaaally dragging this out. I thought he'd be moved last week.

I know there’s a lot of speculation that LeBron to the Lakers was more about his post-NBA career than winning a title, but I think there are two other things worth considering. First, LeBron isn’t stupid, and he knows he’s not beating Golden State this season. I think he’s banking on this being the final year of their run, and that he’s going to be recruiting heavily in next year’s FA while simultaneously evaluating the talent on the team and deciding who to keep and who to trade and then hoping they can have a 2-3 year run before he falls off of a cliff. And second, knowing LeBron, I don’t think he wants to lose in the ECF next year to Kyrie. He’s petty that way.

There is absolutely no reason for LeBron to wait til his age 35 season, for basketball reasons at least.  Age 35 seasons:

Jordan, Magic:  DNP.

Bird - 21 PER; Oscar Robertson - 14.2 PER; Kobe - only 6 games played, best PER after was 17.6. 

Mayhaps this is why he actually, legitimately does want to evolve into a post player:  Karl Malone - 25.6 PER.  Tim Duncan - 22.5 PER.  Kevin Garnett - 20.4 PER.  

1 hour ago, DMC said:

There is absolutely no reason for LeBron to wait til his age 35 season, for basketball reasons at least.  Age 35 seasons:

Jordan, Magic:  DNP.

Bird - 21 PER; Oscar Robertson - 14.2 PER; Kobe - only 6 games played, best PER after was 17.6. 

Mayhaps this is why he actually, legitimately does want to evolve into a post player:  Karl Malone - 25.6 PER.  Tim Duncan - 22.5 PER.  Kevin Garnett - 20.4 PER.  

There are only two teams that can win a title next year. Not only did LeBron not join either, nor one of the few fringe contenders, he joined a team that will struggle to make the playoffs. He’s punted on the season.

And he’s already a post player...in the playoffs. He historically hasn’t wanted to do it in the regular season because it’s too taxing.

12 minutes ago, chiKanery et al. said:

There are only two teams that can win a title next year. Not only did LeBron not join either, nor one of the few fringe contenders, he joined a team that will struggle to make the playoffs. He’s punted on the season.

And he’s already a post player...in the playoffs. He historically hasn’t wanted to do it in the regular season because it’s too taxing.

If you think he's been a post player in the latest playoffs, you're watching an alternate dimension of playoffs from what I am.  And there's only one team that will win the title next year.

34 minutes ago, DMC said:

If you think he's been a post player in the latest playoffs, you're watching an alternate dimension of playoffs from what I am.  And there's only one team that will win the title next year.

He’s said before he plays more in the post during the playoffs. And the Celtics have a shot. That team is going to be scary.

13 hours ago, chiKanery et al. said:

He’s said before he plays more in the post during the playoffs.

LOL, he says a lot of things.  Is this serious man?  Watch any Cavs game during his tenure and who's controlling the ball at the point whenever it matters?  That's the exact opposite of "playing in the post."  Learn basketball.

LeBron always says the right things, but ultimately he'll try to get his coach fired at some point this year, he'll throw some games to send a message to the front office, he'll subtweet his teammates instead of being up front with them, and he'll go right back to playing LeBron Ball the way he always does.  It's who he is.  He's just the greatest player of all time, so you gotta put up with the bullshit.

As I said, I'll believe he's willing to play in the post for more than a couple of games when it actually happens.

44 minutes ago, briantw said:

He's just the greatest player of all time, so you gotta put up with the bullshit.

I think you're probably right about most of that, but no.  Don't casually say he's the GOAT.  Because he isn't.  He's 1A, for all time.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

I think you're probably right about most of that, but no.  Don't casually say he's the GOAT.  Because he isn't.  He's 1A, for all time.

Not only is he the GOAT, he's MUCH better than Jordan ever was at everything except fadeaways and fouling people without getting called for it. 

Just now, Relic said:

Not only is he the GOAT, he's MUCH better than Jordan ever was at everything except fadeaways and fouling people without getting called for it. 

Jordan got away with calls, sure, but it was predominately offensively.  You wanna talk dirty defenders during that era, talk to the Jazz.  To get back to it, yes, Jordan is the GOAT.  He's 1.  LeBron is 1A.  Unless he somehow engineers a 3-peat in the next few years, that's the reality.

46 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yeah, I think LeBron is easily the greatest player to ever play the game.  His numbers and his absurd longevity combine to make him the GOAT.  I don't think he is the competitor that Jordan was, but he's the better overall player.

21 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, I think LeBron is easily the greatest player to ever play the game.  His numbers and his absurd longevity combine to make him the GOAT.  I don't think he is the competitor that Jordan was, but he's the better overall player.

This is laughably dumb.  Jordan is the GOAT.  LeBron is that guy that tried hard to measure up, but never did.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

This is laughably dumb.  Jordan is the GOAT.  LeBron is that guy that tried hard to measure up, but never did.

Can we please not be assholes? This is not a subject with an Objective Truth, so we can all hold differing opinions without insulting each other's intelligence. 

Edit - Also, i was kinda trolling you. I really DGAF who others call the GOAT, and i find this debate to be laughable. There is no RIGHT answer. 

7 minutes ago, Relic said:

Can we please not be assholes? This is not a subject with an Objective Truth, so we can all hold differing opinions without insulting each other's intelligence. 

Edit - Also, i was kinda trolling you. I really DGAF who others call the GOAT, and i find this debate to be laughable. There is no RIGHT answer. 

Once you look at the "Edit:" this becomes one of my favorite posts ever.  Love it.

1 hour ago, Relic said:

Basketball is a team sport. 

And Jordan eventually learned to elevate his teammates. Players tend to wilt in Lebrons presence.

But the discussion as you say is pretty irrelevant. They are pretty much 1 and 2 with little between them. Except Jordan is much more likeable. 

16 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

But the discussion as you say is pretty irrelevant. They are pretty much 1 and 2 with little between them. Except Jordan is much more likeable. 

Um, no. Besides his passive-aggressive interactions with his teammates and The Decision, LeBron comes across as a genuinely decent human being, while Jordan was a selfish dick. His likeability was marketing.

Archived