MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

Boxing's got off to a lightning start to the year. Just seen one of the maddest fights I've ever witnessed, and I wasn't expecting it at all coz Michael Conlan vs Leigh Wood was one I fully expected to be a picky, points-based affair. Instead we got a huge war with the best comeback finish I've seen for... well, two weeks.

Conlan fell on his head though and has been carried out, so really praying he's okay. 

• 4 weeks later...

So Khamzat is human, we’re stuck with Sterling’s cringey ass for a bit, and Volk is obnoxiously quicker than Korean Zombie. 

The Yan decision was fucking bullshit and cost me my 5 fight parlay. He won 1,4,5. How is that so hard? 

The Burns-Khamzat fight was awesome. Both guys were hurt at different times and just kept going. Khamzat has to chill out some and rely on that jab more. Basically what he did to take the 3rd round. But obviously an impressive win for his first real test. Hopefully he gets Colby next. Him looking human opens up plenty of fights methinks.

2 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

The Yan decision was fucking bullshit and cost me my 5 fight parlay. He won 1,4,5. How is that so hard? 

Nah. Round 1 was super close - despite Yan's forward movement, Sterling both threw and landed more, though not by much. And there's some argument for a 10-8 in round 2. I wouldn't have flipped out if Yan won (though I'd have been sad coz Yan is such a dickhead about a result he did to himself the first time) but Sterling has a stronger argument for it imo. 

Khamzat proved he can hang with the top but he needs to start defending strikes because he basically wasn't doing that, and bigger guys than Burns are gonna make that hurt. I'd also worry for his gas tank in a 5-rounder with Colby, but we'll see.   

11 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Jung’s corner really shouldn’t have sent him back in for that fourth round against Volkanovski.

Yeah. That fight was tough to watch after a bit. 

I just wanted to win money, not that upset about the Yan decision beyond that. I do hate the 10-8 arguments though. No way either round 2 or 3 should be considered that. He controlled the back for like 3 minutes in each while doing basically no damage. I don’t think he even officially attempted a rnc in round 3. 

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Canelo got taken to school tonight, lads.

Wow, I hadn't even bothered to check who won assuming it would just be another routine Canelo win ticked off.

On the less positive front the title fight between Namjunas and Esparza in the UFC last night was comfortably the worst professional fight I've ever seen in my life.

On 5/8/2022 at 2:02 PM, polishgenius said:

Jessica Andrade was not impressed.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone who was impressed by anything concerning that fight except the multitude of negatives. I know Pat Barry is Rose's significant other but god damn she needs to get him out of her corner. That was the most shameful advice to give a fighter, even if he believed she was winning the fight was too close to be telling her to keep on doing basically nothing. You know the fight was terrible when there is no chance of a rematch for the dethroned champ in such a close contest.

1 hour ago, HouseBastard said:

I know Pat Barry is Rose's significant other but god damn she needs to get him out of her corner.

Given the circumstances of him becoming her significant other she really needs to get him out of her whole life, but it ain't gonna happen sadly.

• 4 weeks later...

The Jiri-Glover fight was shockingly one of the most entertaining fights I’ve ever seen in my entire life… MMA or boxing. So many ups and down!

Glover had full mount numerous times. Jiri had him dead to rights a few times with his striking and shit would just flip 180 in a second.

Once you thought one fighter had enough they would come back with a wild fury. I texted my buddy in like the 2nd round that Glover would be dead by the 4th; and by the time the 5th round comes around he is dominating the younger Jiri.

Then with under a minute to go in a 5 rounder some wild scramble happens and Jiri taps Glover in a fight he would’ve definitely lost. Fucking wild

On 6/12/2022 at 1:32 AM, Ramsay B. said:

The Jiri-Glover fight was shockingly one of the most entertaining fights I’ve ever seen in my entire life… MMA or boxing. So many ups and down!

Glover had full mount numerous times. Jiri had him dead to rights a few times with his striking and shit would just flip 180 in a second.

Once you thought one fighter had enough they would come back with a wild fury. I texted my buddy in like the 2nd round that Glover would be dead by the 4th; and by the time the 5th round comes around he is dominating the younger Jiri.

Then with under a minute to go in a 5 rounder some wild scramble happens and Jiri taps Glover in a fight he would’ve definitely lost. Fucking wild

MMA judge scoring is so hard to predict. Jiri out struck Glover every round expect the 5th and Glover had almost 3-4min of being in full mount throughout the fight and laid some brutal GnP in Jiris guard. I can see Jiri being down on the score cards but going into the 5th round if you asked me who inflicted more damage I would have said Jiri no doubt. Almost like Yan Sterling 2, except Sterling did no damage to Yan whatsoever.

'Power is the last thing to go' former heavyweight Julius Francis is now a security guard and has just been arrested for absolutely sparking a mouth little prick at Wembley. The video is pretty good quality.

Unfortunately he jas been arrested and I have to say I think that's absolute bollocks.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived