MMA & Boxing 20: D.C. Stands For "Double Champ"

KiDisaster

• 3 weeks later...

Poor Cody. I actually found myself rooting for him too.

Nunes loses!! Wtf just happened!? Pena’s left jab was legit but the rest of her striking was wild, loopy bs and it was tagging Amanda. Damn! Nunes really did gas out. Good call by Pena.

Of course I had Nunes in my parlay too.

Fuck. Was really rooting for Poirier there. Oliveira is no joke.

Nunes going down was crazy. Think the got complacent. Let’s see if she comes back stronger than ever. 

I thought it was Olivera’s fight to lose when Poirier showed up in Vegas in a private jet. He can really take a punch thought. 

48 minutes ago, unJon said:

I thought it was Olivera’s fight to lose when Poirier showed up in Vegas in a private jet. He can really take a punch thought. 

I had a, you might be a little too cocky for your own good vibe from Poirier before the fight. Did not expect it from Amanda though. It’s like she didn’t train cardio at all. I guess it happens from winning 12 straight.

4 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Poor Cody. I actually found myself rooting for him too.

I'd been on Cody's side until I found out his puppy mill crops dog's ears. 

Anyway Nunes game has never been the deepest really, I am surprised that what it took to make her completely fall apart is just slipping her jab, but... well, not that surprised. It is MMA after all.

Unfortunately Pena celebrated by saying shitty things about Nunes not being a real mother because she didn't give birth to her child so fuck her. 

Dustin gonna Dustin. He made some improvements but ultimately I think his ground game/grappling defence is never gonna be good enough to get away with it against the best guys who can mix it up. Still Chucky Olives is very likeable too so it's not a result to be sad about.

In other news there was an absurd amount of boxing last night and in amongst dominant wins for Lomachenko and Donaire in his incredible late-career resurgence, we saw Conor Benn absolutely slump Chris Algieri:

• 2 weeks later...

Oh yeah I was gonna say I have a boxing podcast now. There are many like it but this one is mine. Basically The Fight Site needed one and I was the only boxing person whose schedule allows for a regular one, so there it is. It's on all the usual podcasting places if anyone wants it in anything other than apple (just search up Fight Site Podcast Network and look for the boxing one).

I won't spam links every week, don't worry. Maybe if there's a particularly good fight and I have a good episode with one of my irregular co-hosts/guests.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I recommend boxing fans, if they haven't already, watch Jesse Rodriguez' fight against Carlos Cuadras from last night (it's on DAZN if you have it, but I'm sure it'll be on youtube or dailymotion soon). Fella jumped up a division and several levels of opponent skill at five days notice, and gave a schooling to someone who's never been uncompetitive with the likes of Chocolatito, Juan Francisco Estrada and Srisaket Sor Rungvisai (who Rodriguez was stepping in for on the night). New star on our hands.  

• 3 weeks later...

I recorded the Taylor Catterall and watched it this morning but I didn't bother watching them announce the winner given it was so obvious Catterall had won. Reading the BBC Sport website I just saw that the judges somehow gave Taylor the victory. Bloody hell boxing really doesn't help itself at times.

20 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

I recorded the Taylor Catterall and watched it this morning but I didn't bother watching them announce the winner given it was so obvious Catterall had won. Reading the BBC Sport website I just saw that the judges somehow gave Taylor the victory. Bloody hell boxing really doesn't help itself at times.

I watched it live. Every single commentator was disgusted.

On 2/27/2022 at 1:26 PM, lessthanluke said:

I watched it live. Every single commentator was disgusted.

I had the Americans going and Andre Ward made a tit of himself.

Thankfully, though annoyingly since obviously it was the biggest event of the week that got spoiled, there was shitloads of genuine drama elsewhere- two more massive upsets in the American card as Jerwin Ancajas got beaten up and lost his superfly title, and Chris Colbert got absolutely and completely humiliated and lost a title eliminator, both against unfancied opponents most (including me) had given no chance (Fernando Martinez and Hector Luis Garcia, respectively).

The best bit was on the second British card though, on DAZN on Sunday night. The main event was wank - Lawrence Okolie is good, but boy is he boring- but Jordan Gill's fight for the European title against Karim Guerfi was something. If anyone didn't see it, Gill had been doing well (he's a really smooth boxer, though a bit open defensively) but he'd got himself caught with a big shot, and dropped, and then after they got up he tried to hold on and got DDT'd, clearly very badly hurt:

He'd also injured his knee, perforated his eardrum (so two separate ways in which he couldn't walk properly on top of the concussion) and quite possibly had a broken orbital, the way his eye was swelling up. He stood in his corner for two rounds, nearly falling whenever he moved out of it even a bit and doing almost purely defensive maneuvers. It really didn't look like there was a reason to keep him in and I wasn't the only one yelling at my screen that the corner should pull him.

And then, with seconds to go at the end of round nine, this happened:

21 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Colby (other than CM) must be the most punchable person in the history of MMA. 

I mean, Greg Hardy was on the very same card. Though I suppose it's a bit different with him.  

It's gotta be said, the arsehole ration on this particular card was very high, with Masvidal himself being not much better than Colby and 'drilled his own nutsack with a power drill, actively promotes plandemic conspiracies' Bryce Mitchell on there too. Thankfully Kevin Holland was there to lighten the tone a bit.

(I actually enjoy watching Mitchell fight a lot, but he's a fool)

Archived