NFL 2018 Preseason: Now With More Jace Meltdowns!

Mr. Chatywin et al.

7 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Hope so with a little ginger magic.

"Andrew Luck is down! He's down and in pain after that hit by Atkins"

"Jim in 20 years covering the sport I've never seen a quarterback take this many hits in the first half..."

"Don't want to cut you off there Todd but it appears they're pulling Luck to his feet now."

"You're absolutely right, Jim. And Luck is cradling that arm VERY protectively I think he's done for the day, I guess we'll see"

"Oh no! Oh No! Dalton! Don't do it Andy!"

"Oh my god! Jim I've never seen this, Andy Dalton is savagely beating Luck with a folding chair"

"This is hard to watch, Todd."

"Oh no, what is Atkins doing? Geno Atkins is standing over a prone Luck."

"Is Dalton climbing up Atkins' back?"

"He's going for the top rope! Oh no, Andy Dalton from the top rope!"

"It's Starship Pain from the top rope!"

On 8/25/2018 at 10:48 PM, Iskaral Pust said:

It’s really hard to know where Wilson ranks.  He hasn’t had a good receiving corp or OL to work with.  For the last two years he hasn’t even had a good run game to support him either.  All the other top tier QBs have at least one, if not two, of those facets to support them. 

Bears only played back-ups today against the Chiefs, who were playing their healthy starters for a big chunk of the game.  The Bears handled them pretty well, all things considered.  It wasn’t a good showing for KC but I assume they’ll get sharper. 

Not Rodgers.  He goes down and his backup can't get 1/3rd the production.  Guy lifts the entire offense to something that is always dangerous.  Russel Wilson is good, but nowhere near that caliber of player.  He's gonna fall off a cliff once he hits 30 and can't bail himself out w/ his legs anymore.  I'd argue that not even Tom Brady is that caliber of player, simply because when he goes down his backups don't seem to have an issue producing and winning games.  Drew Brees belongs there, but that's really probably it IMO.  Then you get to guys who need a good supporting cast or system and put up top tier #'s, and there's like 10-15 of those guys in the league.  

On 8/24/2018 at 6:02 PM, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

@aceluby

Third game is tonight, and Kirk looked terrible in his last outing. He better have a good game or people are going to start getting nervous.

Also, it sounds like Cook will play tonight. Hopefully he looks back to form. 

No major mistakes, but for fucks sake if he doesn't stop staring down Diggs every fucking play I'm going to murder my TV.  Thielen has one reception in the preseason.  ONE.  And it was a WR screen, which I'm sure was called just so he could touch the GD ball once before regular season.  I know he was getting blitzed every play, but JFC stop throwing into tight coverage on Diggs when you have a WIDE OPEN 2nd receiver.

Hate to say it, but we shoulda kept Case for 20 mil for 2 years on a prove it deal and upgraded our OL.

On a side note the backup QB situation is super interesting and I think we have 3 RB's with starting potential if Cook is gun shy, is tired, or gets hurt.

On 8/25/2018 at 10:41 AM, Mexal said:

I'll put it this way. I wouldn't trade Andy Dalton for Eli Manning.

I would never agree to a Manning for Dalton trade so at least we're both on board with it, I mean wtf has Dalton done with his career?  Why, as a Giants fan, would I want him?

On 8/25/2018 at 2:45 PM, Ramsay B. said:

Meh. Just accept the hate, it’s easier that way. Prime Eli vs Prime Favre is not even a question(the answer isn’t Eli). 

After watching Wilson last season I have no problem putting him in the top tier. Dude was running for his life the entire year and still put up numbers.

What more did Farve do than Eli in his prime?  The league MVPs and Pro Bowl selections?  Ok take em, I'll take 2 SB rings and 2 SB MVP awards over those Farve accolades any day

1 hour ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Eli beat the best QB twice and the greatest team ever put together once.........possibly would have back-to-back SB appearances if Plax doesn't shoot himself

No, the GIANTS beat the best QB twice. Eli played against a fairly meh defense twice and did well enough to win. The notion that Brady vs. Eli Manning was decided in some fucking cage match has got to be the stupidest of hot takes that continually comes around. 

17 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

No, the GIANTS beat the best QB twice. Eli played against a fairly meh defense twice and did well enough to win. The notion that Brady vs. Eli Manning was decided in some fucking cage match has got to be the stupidest of hot takes that continually comes around. 

Bless you.

14 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Yes, the Giants did beat the Pats twice, football is a team sport.......but you're high on crack if you're trying to downplay Eli's role in both games, not only against those 2 teams but both playoff runs too.........and lets be honest, one on one cage match, Eli beats the shit outta Brady 10 outta 10 times

Taking this here for more eyeballs:

2 hours ago, BLU-RAY said:

Hey, all - we still have an open slot in the Dynasty league if anyone wants in - it's an auction league, and you can check out the rules and the team you'd be taking over in the Dynasty League thread.

Please let us know if you'd like to play!

We still have a few leagues to fill if anyone is interested. There's no space in the main feeder leagues, but there are a few spots in other ones, some with really fun themes. Reach out to @Bronn Stone if you're interested. 

On 8/24/2018 at 6:13 PM, Kalbear said:

Also, it does tickle me immensely to see people talking about Russell Wilson as an elite QB in every ranking and no one is even disputing it. Like the top three are Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, and there's no argument. (I think Brees is still probably better, but otherwise yeah).

I think it's because of a few reasons. Most of the guys we look at as top 10 QBs have been the same guys for a while, and a lot of them are older so it's easy to think they've slipped a bit while Wilson is ascending. I do genuinely think that Luck would be ahead of him though if he didn't get hurt.

Also, I think Brees has fallen off a lot, but he has a lot more toys to play with right now. If my memory serves me correctly, his passes traveled the third least distance in the air among all qualifying QBs, while at the same time the Saints had more receiving YAC than any other team in the league. That basically translates into a lot of short passes with huge gains after the catch. I doubt that translates year to year. 

8 hours ago, aceluby said:

No major mistakes, but for fucks sake if he doesn't stop staring down Diggs every fucking play I'm going to murder my TV.  Thielen has one reception in the preseason.  ONE.  And it was a WR screen, which I'm sure was called just so he could touch the GD ball once before regular season.  I know he was getting blitzed every play, but JFC stop throwing into tight coverage on Diggs when you have a WIDE OPEN 2nd receiver.

Hate to say it, but we shoulda kept Case for 20 mil for 2 years on a prove it deal and upgraded our OL.

On a side note the backup QB situation is super interesting and I think we have 3 RB's with starting potential if Cook is gun shy, is tired, or gets hurt.

I agree with the first part, but not about Case. Case was fine, but he wasn't the kind of QB that you can rely on to go out and win you the game when everything else is failing. Kirk OTOH can do that, though he will make a lot more mistakes than Case (the staring guys down things is a perfect example). What has me happy is our defense has looked awesome, and not just the starters. We have a lot of second stringers who would start on a lot of teams. It's just that damn O-Line that has me nervous. We've already lost one guy to IR, and others are banged up. They don't need to be great, but they've got to be better than what we've seen, otherwise an elite pass rush will break us in the playoffs just like how it happened in Philly. 

And yeah, that young QB has looked good. He's been better than the Ape Man.

1 hour ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Yes, the Giants did beat the Pats twice, football is a team sport.......but you're high on crack if you're trying to downplay Eli's role in both games, not only against those 2 teams but both playoff runs too.........and lets be honest, one on one cage match, Eli beats the shit outta Brady 10 outta 10 times

Eli was aggressively average in both games, hence why the Giants only scored 17 and 21 points respectively while requiring late game heroics in both Owls. What won the Giants those games was their insane pass rush. Absent they lose both games by over 20 points each. 

And I wouldn't accuse people of being high on crack when you just took Eli, a fringe HoFer, over Farve who is one of the ten best QBs ever.

8 minutes ago, SpaceForce Tywin et al. said:

Eli was aggressively average in both games, hence why the Giants only scored 17 and 21 points respectively while requiring late game heroics in both Owls. What won the Giants those games was their insane pass rush. Absent they lose both games by over 20 points each. 

And I wouldn't accuse people of being high on crack when you just took Eli, a fringe HoFer, over Farve who is one of the ten best QBs ever.

Giants D was sic in both games, don't get me wrong, but saying Eli was average in both SBs is also an indication you also might be high on crack

And please, please, please explain to me how Favre is top ten QB of all time and Eli is just a borderline HOFer. If Eli is borderline HOFer then is Roethlisberger or Rivers also borderline?

One more push on Fantasy Football.  The "Survivor League" still has vacancies.  It isn't a normal Survivor league where you pick a team, but instead a full Fantasy Football league where the lowest scorer every week is kicked out.  Starts with 14 or more and ends up with what becomes a h-t-h finale in Week 16.

More details in Forum Games if desired.

For my first post :

1. Farve is not a top 10 QB. 

2. The pass rush in 07 and 11 were extremely important, and Tuck was the MVP of the 07 SB IMO, but please dont forget the runs to the superbowls and Elis clutchness on the big stage. He is inclined to throw interceptions, yes, but I still want him as my QB in a superbowl over 90% of the QBs playing currently. He is a Hof'r and this year will cement that.

39 minutes ago, the Greenleif Stark said:

Giants D was sic in both games, don't get me wrong, but saying Eli was average in both SBs is also an indication you also might be high on crack

And please, please, please explain to me how Favre is top ten QB of all time and Eli is just a borderline HOFer. If Eli is borderline HOFer then is Roethlisberger or Rivers also borderline?

Just look at his stat lines.  Those are two thoroughly average performances. He didn't lose them the game, but the Giants D-Line absolutely did win them the game.

Favre is second all time in yards and TDs while playing most of his career in an era that was less friendly to QBs. He is easily a top 10 QB of all time, and I say that as someone who was raised to hate him and the Packers. Eli, OTOH, played nearly his entire career in the pass happy NFL, which distorts the statistics. You'll see a lot of guys not make the HoF even though their stats will blow away their predecessors. Roethlisberger is a lock HoFer, though voters will punish him and make him wait due to off the field issues. If Rivers makes it, it will be at the end of his illegibility. He's only made the playoffs once in the last eight years, and Eli has only gone twice in the last ten years. Furthermore, he's gone twelve of his fourteen seasons without logging a playoff win. The Giants under Eli have never really been high end contenders. They just enjoyed to unexpected runs. Favre, OTOH, was always a contender. Farve and Eli's names do not belong in the same sentence, let alone the same debate. 

Archived