Whats the point of BwB storyline now?

Frey Kings

We don't really have a good view into their motivations. There is no point of view within the order and the only brief viewpoints we get are from Arya, who is a captive and pre-Stoneheart, Merrett who they hate and hang shortly after, and Brienne.

Brienne would be the best viewpoint but something seems off to me about her entire time with them. I feel her entire interaction is tainted because they are deliberately misdirecting their motivations to get her to do something she would normally not consider - betray someone - in this case Jaime. They achieve that by convincing her that they are absolutely rotten and will hang the innocent Podrick Payne. 

I'm not saying that they are not driven by vengeance, but I doubt that is their sole purpose, and it is definitely not mindless. They want Jaime for something and I doubt it is to simply hang him. What could that be?

"Jon is a brother of the Night's Watch, sworn to take no wife and hold no lands. Those who take the black serve for life."
"So do the knights of the Kingsguard. That did not stop the Lannisters from stripping the white cloaks from Ser Barristan Selmy and Ser Boros Blount when they had no more use for them. If I send the Watch a hundred men in Jon's place, I'll wager they find some way to release him from his vows."
He is set on this. Catelyn knew how stubborn her son could be.

It is my guess that she means to exchange Jaime for Jon, and fulfill Robb's last command that Jon should become King in the North. How fortuitous that Catelyn can also resurrect the dead and Jon happens to currently be dead. Catelyn and Jon also have one of the most developed and nuanced relationships in the books, I struggle to believe it will just be left like that, nor that Robb's will will just be ignored.

Anyhow, whatever GRRM has planned for the BHWB, whether it's simply mindless vengeance as most people assume or something else, GRRM has said that it is important. He has been recently quoted as saying that Catelyn has a big part to play in Winds.

On 8/9/2018 at 9:24 AM, Frey Kings said:

Will Edric Dayne use Dawn to slay Lady Stoneheart?

The story of the Brotherhood is the tragedy of how revenge starts a cycle that continues.  It's never enough.  They will kill many of the Frey men and many of them will be killed by Walder's trackers.  The cycle continues and the hate never ends.  There was no need to kill Merett Frey.

On 8/12/2018 at 9:00 PM, Son of Man said:

This is one storyline that will likely get trimmed in Winds.  Lady Stoneheart is on borrowed time.  She's slowly rotting away.  Edric, is too young to prove himself worthy of Dawn.  I don't think Jon Snow is worthy but he is part Dayne and closer to manhood.  He is the second most probable besides Gerold Dayne.

Right now, barring WoW, Lady Stoneheart's as useful as nipples on a breastplate.

On 8/13/2018 at 6:34 PM, Rufus Snow said:

(People's Popular Front of Judea, or the Judean People's Popular Front, or the Popular Front of the Judean People..... ah, you either get the reference or you don't, I guess... ;) )

B)

On 8/14/2018 at 6:13 PM, Moiraine Sedai said:

There was no need to kill Merett Frey.

The man who knew about a mass murder scheme and participated in it? I don't recall him having any qualms about the whole thing, or feeling remorse about his role in it...

IMHO, BwB has several purposes. The Robin Hood agenda gone wrong. The comeuppance for the Freys (both the current pattern of luring some away as well as Red Wedding 2.0). The introduction of fiery resurrection. And lastly, BwB was seen heading towards the Neck, where the illusive Howland Reed stashes Ned's bones and Robb's will and who knows what else. Something big's to be expected there for sure.

Archived