Jump to content
Iskaral Pust

Exercise and Fitness: bro science debunked

Recommended Posts

As I've gotten back into lifting and made sure to get leg day as a regular part of the routine I've noticed that my deadlift strength seems to have increased a lot quicker than my squat strength, and I don't know why that would necessarily be.  

I've also tried going back and forth between back squats and front squats.  I feel like I've heard front squats described along the lines of "a still very beneficial lift that might be a bit more manageable for people who are struggling with back squats."  But I swear for me back squats are easier and front squats are the more challenging angle.  I wonder if this says something about my posture or alignment or if I have any weird imbalances.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back at this seriously as well - somehow gained 10 lbs in like six weeks over the end of the semester stress+winter break at home. I knew I was going over, but 10 is way too much. Back to a regular routine of swimming, walking, and I'm going to try and mix lifting and maybe yoga in there a few times a week as well.

And calorie counting, which when I'm in the groove, I actually kind of enjoy and don't have a problem sticking to. 'The groove' is a completely mysterious state that lands upon me like weather though - It will be virtually zero discipline required to lose 10lb per month for two or three, and then, poof, wake up one day and I can't for the life of me stop eating ice cream until I've gained 10 lbs all over again. I seem to have slipped back into it yesterday with being my first day properly back (tracked all calories yesterday, walked the 3km to campus this morning, went for a swim, had protein-y stuff for breakfast, had breakfast) but we'll see...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DP - yep, that's the same way I am too!

15 hours ago, Erik of Hazelfield said:

Dealing with hunger has always been my biggest problem as well, and I recognise the problem of being hungry after dinner. For me cheating helps some. That is, drinking diet coke or similar stuff to satisfy my craving for sweetness. Protein bars are also a life saver. I find I can use them as a late night snack instead of ice cream or cookies. The extra protein and chewy, "heavy" nature they have reduces the hunger feelings for me, plus I think they're pretty tasty.

Also planning my meals and sleep so that I don't have loads of time after dinner helps. If I eat at six and go to bed at eleven that's five hours of fasting. Of course I'll get hungry then. It can be better to, say, eat a (healthy) snack at 5:30, have dinner at 8, another snack at 9:30 and then go to bed at 10:30.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) have any other tips on how to combat hunger during a diet I'd love to hear them. 

The worst part for me is that it's not actually hunger at all, it's just wanting to eat. So controlling the hunger doesn't really help because it doesn't scratch the right itch. Which I guess is just the desire to do whatever I want? It's like I'm acting out against...myself. Lol. My boyfriend thinks that I just don't really want to lose the weight enough yet and I think he's right, so there is a mismatch between the goals I'm setting for myself and my motivation and it's leading to even worse outcomes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Back at this seriously as well - somehow gained 10 lbs in like six weeks over the end of the semester stress+winter break at home. I knew I was going over, but 10 is way too much. Back to a regular routine of swimming, walking, and I'm going to try and mix lifting and maybe yoga in there a few times a week as well.

And calorie counting, which when I'm in the groove, I actually kind of enjoy and don't have a problem sticking to. 'The groove' is a completely mysterious state that lands upon me like weather though - It will be virtually zero discipline required to lose 10lb per month for two or three, and then, poof, wake up one day and I can't for the life of me stop eating ice cream until I've gained 10 lbs all over again. I seem to have slipped back into it yesterday with being my first day properly back (tracked all calories yesterday, walked the 3km to campus this morning, went for a swim, had protein-y stuff for breakfast, had breakfast) but we'll see...

Ha, this is kind of what happens to me as well. I tend to be able to stick to my macros and calories religiously if I'm trying to lose weight. But once its achieved and I try and add some muscle.. then I just lose all my discipline and eat everything. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've never been heavier than in recent months. I've been fluctuating around 85kgs, topping out at 86kgs (at 180cm height) last week which was unimaginable for me some 4-5 years ago.

What's surprising is that, even though I definitely have some fat around my stomach I've been noticeably fatter (even had a beer belly) when I weighed 3-4kgs less. Also, I've noticed increases in muscle mass. Hopefully, it's not just wishful thinking :D 

Either way, I'm feeling a lot fitter and comfortable than I did before and I guess that's the only thing that matters :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Triskele Nice progress, well done.  I wouldn't worry about one lift progressing faster than the other, it all evens out.  And sometimes it's something obvious like you deadlift in an afternoon session but squat in a morning session; there are peaks and dips in your strength in your daily and weekly cycle. 
FWIW, my deadlift is consistently 15-20% more than my squat and my bench press is consistently 15-20% less than my squat.  That's for heaviest sets of 8 reps; the ratio probably breaks down for one rep max, where I assume the deadlift would have even more advantage.  And that's when I do deadlifts after six sets of squats and I'm already pretty burned out.  So, yeah, deadlift is probably going to be your biggest lift by a wide margin if you're doing on a different day to squats.

@baxus congratulations.  Really impressive that you're sustaining that progress with a baby at home.
I've also noticed that my weight is persistently higher than before (now 183-185lbs), but I'm still visibly lean everywhere.  I may be a hard gainer but eventually I gain something.  Only downside is that additional muscle mass is ruining the drape of expensive custom made suits.  They were custom made for my shape as a soccer player.
I would still like to shed a couple of pounds, but I'm not obsessing over it.

@Starkess It might just be the winter that has triggered your appetite.  I found that colder winters in NJ and Chicago (compared to Seattle and Ireland) really triggered my appetite for calories.  I'm not exactly starving, but I feel the urge to eat, and feel much greater satisfaction after calorific food.  I try to manage it by making sure I get plenty of fiber intake for slow digestion, and rely on unsaturated fats as much as possible: I eat half an avocado with breakfast (alongside oatmeal, fruit and protein shake) and I eat almonds at lunch (alongside vegetables and protein shake).

 

I was bad last week: too busy at work to get any exercise midweek, and then skipped on Saturday after a busy family day ended with pizza delivery.  Sunday was shoulder press and pull-ups -- great session (pizza must be great for pre-fuel).  And I'll go down now and do a legs session -- y'all have motivated/guilted me into action.

I noticed recently a description of a weight-lifting regimen that exactly matches what I do:

1.  a day of horizontal push-pull (bench press and cable row/barbell row)
2.  a day of vertical push-pull (shoulder press and pull-ups, and
3.  a day of lower body push-pull (squats and deadlifts). 

I know most programs suggest mixing all of the above every day, but I prefer to do 6 heavy sets of each just once a week, allowing for intense workload and then several days of rest.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yay, went in for some lifting - very light 5*5 (its been like six months). I also forgot to bring tights and so was that person in the gym in jeans. Well, they're very stretchy jeans. Anyway, feels good though probably won't be able to move tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

 

@Starkess It might just be the winter that has triggered your appetite.  I found that colder winters in NJ and Chicago (compared to Seattle and Ireland) really triggered my appetite for calories.  I'm not exactly starving, but I feel the urge to eat, and feel much greater satisfaction after calorific food.  I try to manage it by making sure I get plenty of fiber intake for slow digestion, and rely on unsaturated fats as much as possible: I eat half an avocado with breakfast (alongside oatmeal, fruit and protein shake) and I eat almonds at lunch (alongside vegetables and protein shake).

Yeah that definitely could be it. Chicago definitely triggers my "hibernate" mode!! I think I will try to increase my protein/fat. I do tend to eat pretty high-carb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What helps with me is food that fills up space. For instance, I'll eat a pound of strawberries. Its only like 170 cals, but it's hard to not feel full afterwards. Between that and protein you can be pretty sated without actually having a lot of calories. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

@baxus congratulations.  Really impressive that you're sustaining that progress with a baby at home.
I've also noticed that my weight is persistently higher than before (now 183-185lbs), but I'm still visibly lean everywhere.  I may be a hard gainer but eventually I gain something.  Only downside is that additional muscle mass is ruining the drape of expensive custom made suits.  They were custom made for my shape as a soccer player.
I would still like to shed a couple of pounds, but I'm not obsessing over it.

Thanks, man. What can I say, baby is very open for cooperation and so is my wife. :lol:

No custom made suits for me, but I have noticed my clothes fit differently lately. I'd always preferred my pants a bit baggy and they are a bit too snug for my liking. The weirdest part is that even my hoodies fit differently and sleeves seem a bit shorter. Never would've expected that.

Yeah, that 85-86kgs seems to have been holiday weight, since I'm down to 83.5 this morning. Still would like to drop to around 80kgs but that would require either adding some more cardio (running, most likely) or paying very close attention to what I'm eating and I must admit I have no inclination to do either at this point. :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just had a long weekend in the US, which meant I could go to the gym for three consecutive days.  I still struggle to make time on a workday for the gym. 

Aside from that I’ve noticed a new circadian rhythm: morning - ripped, after gym - pumped, late evening - bloated, walrus-like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Working on walking on my hands.  Sometimes it feels like it is right there...sometimes I land on my nose.  Very frustrating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Something I was certainly guilty of when I was younger was focusing on things like bench and bis but not doing enough back stuff.  Not so much today.  One lift I've been loving for a while is the upright row which gives me the feeling that I'm getting a really nice back pump.  Another that I've only just very recently discovered though is using the TRX suspension bands to do inverted rows.  I like to do the variation where one is all the way horizontal which kills the back but also can hit the bis pretty hard too.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, Triskele said:

Something I was certainly guilty of when I was younger was focusing on things like bench and bis but not doing enough back stuff.  Not so much today.  One lift I've been loving for a while is the upright row which gives me the feeling that I'm getting a really nice back pump.  Another that I've only just very recently discovered though is using the TRX suspension bands to do inverted rows.  I like to do the variation where one is all the way horizontal which kills the back but also can hit the bis pretty hard too.    

Those are some great exercises, but the entire time I was watching that video my head was screaming TUCK YOUR TAILBONE!!!  

Baby is due in the next week and I've successfully put on 15 lbs of sympathy weight which has me feeling pretty terrible about my physique.  Since I'll be cooking all our meals for the next month, I think I'm going to focus on tasty vegetarian low carb meals to get my body ready for my next keto cycle and maybe convince my wife to try it with me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2019 at 4:52 PM, Triskele said:

Something I was certainly guilty of when I was younger was focusing on things like bench and bis but not doing enough back stuff.  Not so much today.  One lift I've been loving for a while is the upright row which gives me the feeling that I'm getting a really nice back pump.  Another that I've only just very recently discovered though is using the TRX suspension bands to do inverted rows.  I like to do the variation where one is all the way horizontal which kills the back but also can hit the bis pretty hard too.    

Upright rows get a lot of criticism for putting inappropriate stress on your joints.  I think it's better to do shrugs instead.

I might try inverted rows, although I'm worried that they would need a lot of reps to get any impact.  The first version in that video would mean you are rowing less than half of your body weight.  The bent knee version is probably more of a challenge, but still only ~60% of your body weight.  Similar to a push-up.

But I agree that back exercises are important.  I do some in every session: cable row and barbell row and shrugs one day, pull-ups another day, and deadlifts on the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This weekend had good exercise and bad eating.  Friday was bench press, rowing and shrugs.  Saturday was squats, dead lifts and calf press.  Sunday was shoulder press and pull-ups.

But it was also time for my wife's PMS food cravings, which manifested this time in spicy, salty Korean food and an overwhelming (even by my gluttonous standards) quantity of chocolate cake.  As a modern, empathetic husband I supported her fully by participating fully, but now I regret the indulgence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Iskaral Pust said:

Upright rows get a lot of criticism for putting inappropriate stress on your joints.  I think it's better to do shrugs instead.

I do also do the incline row, and I feel like that would have much less injury threat.  I do definitely feel with the upright row "I hope I don't injure myself" in a way that I really don't for any other lift.  But I also feel like I get a great pump from it.

On those inverted rows I feel like I the further I go towards starting from a fully-horizontal angle the tougher it is and more legit it seems.  If I go too inclined on that it is indeed not all that taxing and requires a lot of reps to get to exhaustion.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, aceluby said:

Baby is due in the next week and I've successfully put on 15 lbs of sympathy weight which has me feeling pretty terrible about my physique.  Since I'll be cooking all our meals for the next month, I think I'm going to focus on tasty vegetarian low carb meals to get my body ready for my next keto cycle and maybe convince my wife to try it with me.

Don't know if that's a rule but I've lost 5kgs over the first month-month and a half after my daughter was born. I put it all back on since then, though. :lol: 

Kidding aside, your new schedule is likely to keep you pretty busy, at least until you get used to all the new stuff that needs to be done. And don't underestimate the effect of carrying 3-4kgs (I hope for your wife's sake that the baby won't be bigger :lol:) of pure cuteness around all day. Either way, you will probably have things you'll enjoy doing more than focusing on tasty vegetarian low carb meals and just enjoy it.

I hope your baby lets you sleep as much as mine lets us. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎1‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 5:46 PM, aceluby said:

Those are some great exercises, but the entire time I was watching that video my head was screaming TUCK YOUR TAILBONE!!!  

Baby is due in the next week and I've successfully put on 15 lbs of sympathy weight which has me feeling pretty terrible about my physique.  Since I'll be cooking all our meals for the next month, I think I'm going to focus on tasty vegetarian low carb meals to get my body ready for my next keto cycle and maybe convince my wife to try it with me.

Under no circumstances suggest this to the mother of a new baby.  They can be incredibly self conscious about their bodies and they will not hear what you think you are saying. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/28/2019 at 11:46 AM, aceluby said:

Those are some great exercises, but the entire time I was watching that video my head was screaming TUCK YOUR TAILBONE!!!  

Baby is due in the next week and I've successfully put on 15 lbs of sympathy weight which has me feeling pretty terrible about my physique.  Since I'll be cooking all our meals for the next month, I think I'm going to focus on tasty vegetarian low carb meals to get my body ready for my next keto cycle and maybe convince my wife to try it with me.

This just reminded me that you joined these threads 2-3 years ago after a difficult break-up, feeling overweight and in a funk, when you wanted to lose weight, get back in shape and start a new chapter of your life.  Now you're fit, healthy & lot slimmer, taking and teaching exercise classes most days of the week, happily married, and have a baby arriving any minute.  That sounds like one of the most successful new chapters I've ever heard of.  You should start on the motivational speaking circuit next.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×