If Rhaegar had become King, what crown would he have worn?

Angel Eyes

So the Targaryens had three crowns in their possession circa the reign of the Mad King: 

• The slender gold band worn by Aegon III, Viserys II and Aegon V
  • The huge and heavy crown with dragon-head points worn by Aegon IV, Daeron II, Aerys I and Aerys II
  • The warlike crown with black iron points worn by Maekar I and Jaehaerys II

Which one of these would Rhaegar have chosen to wear if he was ever crowned?

If Rhaegar had become King, it would have been because he had slain Robert Baratheon at the Trident and not vice verse. Therefore, I picture him wearing the warlike crown with black iron points. This is all hypothetical ofcourse, but having having had won his crown as the result of a war...it’s also stated he wore a set of black plate armor..kinda seems like the fit for him. Could be any of those really expect the huge heavy one, seems a bit frivolous for the likes of Rhaegar. Just speculation ofcourse. Is there really only 3 crowns that we know of?

12 minutes ago, Ser Dips A lot said:

If Rhaegar had become King, it would have been because he had slain Robert Baratheon at the Trident and not vice verse. Therefore, I picture him wearing the warlike crown with black iron points. This is all hypothetical ofcourse, but having having had won his crown as the result of a war...it’s also stated he wore a set of black plate armor..kinda seems like the fit for him. Could be any of those really expect the huge heavy one, seems a bit frivolous for the likes of Rhaegar. Just speculation ofcourse. Is there really only 3 crowns that we know of?

Well, those are the ones that would have conceivably been in the Targaryens’ possession during the reign of the Mad King, with the exception of the large, elaborate crown worn by Aenys I (and nobody likes to talk about Aenys I). Aegon I’s Valyrian Steel circlet with square rubies was lost in Dorne when Daeron I was killed, the seven-jeweled crown of Jaehaerys I and Viserys I was sold off by Rhaenyra I to buy a ship. Baelor just wore a crown of flowers and vines.

8 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

So the Targaryens had three crowns in their possession circa the reign of the Mad King: 

• The slender gold band worn by Aegon III, Viserys II and Aegon V
  • The huge and heavy crown with dragon-head points worn by Aegon IV, Daeron II, Aerys I and Aerys II
  • The warlike crown with black iron points worn by Maekar I and Jaehaerys II

Which one of these would Rhaegar have chosen to wear if he was ever crowned?

Rhaegar was not the heir.  Viserys was the chosen heir.  

41 minutes ago, Bowen Marsh said:

Not true. At no point was Viserys heir while Rhaegar was still alive. And a single unelaborated on statement by Maester Yandel is the only source for Aerys naming Viserys his heir over Aegon after Rhaegar's death.

51 minutes ago, Bowen Marsh said:

Viserys was only chosen heir after Rhaegar's death at the Trident, putting him before Rhaegar's son Aegon. 

Birds flew and couriers raced to bear word of the victory at the Ruby Ford. When the news reached the Red Keep, it was said that Aerys cursed the Dornish, certain that Lewyn had betrayed Rhaegar. He sent his pregnant queen, Rhaella, and his younger son and new heir, Viserys, away to Dragonstone, but Princess Elia was forced to remain in King's Landing with Rhaegar's children as a hostage against Dorne.

The World of Ice and Fire - The Fall of the Dragons: The End

Aside from that, all we have are rumours that Aerys meant to disinherit Rhaegar, or that people around Aerys were pushing him to name Viserys his heir. But it never happened while Rhaegar was alive. 

6 hours ago, The Grey Wolf said:

@Angel Eyes

Aegon III's crown was lost at Summerhall, which means the only ones left were Aenys's, Aegon IV's, and Maekar's.

That's an interesting idea, one I like, but it is far from proven at this point.

12 hours ago, Bael's Bastard said:

And a single unelaborated on statement by Maester Yandel is the only source for Aerys naming Viserys his heir over Aegon after Rhaegar's death.

It is more than we have on the notion that Prince Aegon was Aerys II's heir at the time of his death. That idea is completely unsupported by the textual evidence that we have.

Aegon is only ever called Rhaegar's heir, never the heir of King Aerys II.

Archived