MLB Offseason 2018: Harper, Your Herald Boras Sings

PyroclasticFlow

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

Not really. We had two MVPs, two pitchers who were Cy Young worthy,  one of the best closers in baseball and a super deep team with loads of guys

who would go on to become All-Stars, albeit often for other teams.

Fuck you @DanteGabriel. He was juicing. 

https://media.giphy.com/media/Lf0vKOzCkGgZa/giphy.gif

The Yanks.  They are now exactly 2 out of 3 after 51 games, or about a third of the season.  With their best starter, their two best hitters, and arguably their best relief pitcher all missing most of the season.  That's fucking crazy.  And I don't think Cash should expect Sevy or Judge back, proceed as if they're gone for the year.  Stanton, too, seems to be Ellsbury-ing it with injuries upon injuries, that's worrying.  But Didi seems determined to come back ASAP.  With him, your bats are fine.  Cash still needs to get pitching depth though, particularly starters.  German has been a godsend but his innings are gonna run out, even in the BCS.

On ‎5‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 12:32 AM, DMC said:

The Yanks.  They are now exactly 2 out of 3 after 51 games, or about a third of the season.  With their best starter, their two best hitters, and arguably their best relief pitcher all missing most of the season.  That's fucking crazy.  And I don't think Cash should expect Sevy or Judge back, proceed as if they're gone for the year.  Stanton, too, seems to be Ellsbury-ing it with injuries upon injuries, that's worrying.  But Didi seems determined to come back ASAP.  With him, your bats are fine.  Cash still needs to get pitching depth though, particularly starters.  German has been a godsend but his innings are gonna run out, even in the BCS.

I don't think they need depth pieces, they need a stud at the top of the rotation. I'm  nervous about CC, Happ is just trash and Paxton is probably going to wind up back on the DL.

6 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

I don't think they need depth pieces, they need a stud at the top of the rotation.

Well, beggars can't be choosers.  The top starter projected to be on the market right now is probably Bumgarner, and it's time to acknowledge Bumgarner is no longer an ace.

14 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, beggars can't be choosers.  The top starter projected to be on the market right now is probably Bumgarner, and it's time to acknowledge Bumgarner is no longer an ace.

He was only really worth a shit in the postseason in the first place. The Yankees have been lucky so far but I'm paranoid that luck is going to run out as far as pitching is concerned.

Well, he had six straight seasons of 200+ innings at ~ a 3.00 era.  That's worth more than a shit.  And of course, pitching (particularly starting pitching) going bad is a worry for literally every team.  Even the Indians have run into rotation issues this year.  Still, between Sevy and Betances, Paxton missing some time, and the slight (albeit it's been much better the past month) underpermance of the pen, one could argue their pitching has already ran into some bad luck.

The bullpen is fine, but I worry about CC, Happ was a bit better in his last start but the wheels fell off the bus and I imagine Big Maple is going to make another visit to the injured list. And I'm not banking on Sevy coming back this year. All that's left is Domingo German on an innings limit and Tanaka who is one pitch away from Tommy John. 

33 minutes ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

Tanaka who is one pitch away from Tommy John. 

I agree with all the rest - hell I said a lot of the rest - but I think this is unfair.  Tanaka's been "one pitch away" from Tommy John for like, what three years now?  He's no more or less one pitch away than any other pitcher.  Of course I just jinxed him and he'll be in OR within a week.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

I agree with all the rest - hell I said a lot of the rest - but I think this is unfair.  Tanaka's been "one pitch away" from Tommy John for like, what three years now?  He's no more or less one pitch away than any other pitcher.  Of course I just jinxed him and he'll be in OR within a week.

I think I jinxed him first .

My heart is bursting with pride for my little Hyun-jin. He has always hungered, and always been good at satiating his hunger, but this year he is devouring at a truly elite level. Don’t be surprised if he sets the single season record for most baseballers eaten.

27 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Was at the game tonight. Suck it, Sawx.

Nice.  Now let's get out the brooms.  

Also, Sanchez is now leading the AL in homers, and he's only played in 39 of the Yanks' 57 games.  That's 68%.  Crazy.

So Didi is back next week it looks like. They’re gonna have to release Morales I’m assuming, and work from there. These guys are just cruising right now and it’s gonna be hard to sit any of the infielders. Great problem to have, obviously.

Didi is now 1 for 12 in Scranton.  I suppose it's encouraging he only has one strikeout, but he needs to start hitting more before they bring him up.  The infield is frankly fine without him for the time being, so use up as much of that rehab time as he needs to get going.

Sweeping the Cubs at Busch helps soothe the pain from our worst month of May in franchise history, but my office are firmly in Blues hysteria for now, and I expect a lot of sullen faces. I'm not a hockey guy, though I'm loving the energy in the city. I love Cards/Cubs series. We needed some good news after that freefall month.

Archived