UK Politics: A Third Meaningful Thread

mormont

1 minute ago, Which Tyler said:

Less than 24 hours, and it's the most signed petition since the government started running them.

It's got to send a message at least. Even though we all know the message won't be listened to.

Obviously it won't be listened to by Theresa May, but (a) I feel as if leavers have been more vocal and this redresses the balance (b) gives hope to those who are becoming downhearted (c) may get press attention (d) people are also sending the link to their MPs.  I think the most important thing is where MPs might be wavering or unsure how much support there is, it sends a powerful message to add the the speculative polls, and will reinforce the London march on Saturday.

Even just signing a petition (which requires entering name, verifying email) shows a level of action which could translate into a vote at an election, so MPs should pay some attention. 

Ultimately I don't know if it will help, but in between elections, petitions, marches, campaigns, and letters to the press and MPs are the only things open to someone who sees things going horribly wrong.  Have to try.

21 minutes ago, Which Tyler said:

Currently about to smash through 600,000, increasing at about 400 per 5 second refresh.
I think I've got this timeline correct (and it's been up for less than 24 hours, just didn't take off until last night when May threw her little temper tantrum - that she'd thrown 6 hours previously in PMQs):

And the petitions site has crashed.

(page on my browser is frozen at 617,848)

Just now, Pebble said:

I wonder what percentage of page views are people trying to sign and how many are just checking its progress

Yeah I think there are a lot of people just mesmerised watching the numbers tick up.  Disappointed this will have broken the momentum as lots of people were sending it round social media this morning - must be frustrating for those hoping to sign.

After due consideration, I think I finally understand what was going on with May's statement last night.

"That 'simples' bet was genius. We'll never top that."

"What if I could get her to accuse everyone else of timewasting and say she just wanted to get on with Brexit?"

"Too far. You could never get her to do that."

"Sure? I'll even get her to say she's on the side of the people. We'll make it a huge announcement and hype it up."

"Are you serious right now?"

"Watch this."

Pissed off the public too if this petition is anything to go by - it had taken a month to reach 80k shortly before May's speech.

Out of interest (and not particularly relevant here); the swing needed from 2016 would have been 634,751 going from leave to remain, which would have changed the result. Thought that passing that lanmark was worth commenting on (and again if/when we reach 1,269,501).

BBC are covering this now: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-47652071

As the Guardian has mentioned today, its really not a great idea to try and extrapolate petitions as a measure of wider public feeling. 

https://whatukthinks.org/eu/

Polls seem to have a small majority in favour of remain right now. Pretty unsurprising. Its really not new knowledge that about half the country isn't in favour of leaving the EU. The other half is probably in favour of leaving. There has been a relatively even split of opinion for about 30 years. The referendum was an obviously bad idea because it based a major national decision on a snapshot in time where Leave was ahead. 

12 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

17,410,742+1

Yep!

By the way for people who want to follow the progress of the petition without risking crashing the site itself, on twitter you can follow @UltraButt  (I'm sure there are others too but that's just the first one I came across*), or check this automated site which refreshes every 10 mins with graphs and stuff too.

*ETA: Yes if UltraButt is a bit NSFW for you, try @BotRevoke instead

9 minutes ago, Mosi Mynn said:

Will this petition force a second referendum?

No; the petition won't force anything, and doesn't address a second referendum beyond "it may not happen, so vote for this"

I do think that, as the numbers are realy racking up now; it may force a rethink for 1-2 MPs, or possibly scare May into a change of tactic (yeah, right) or some questions from the press etc. It is unprecedented.

It seems like the ideal opportunity to change tack somehow.  

I wish politicians could admit when they were wrong.  If Cameron publicly admitted that yes, sorry folks, I did call the referendum for appalling reasons, and it was a complete shitstorm, it might appease a few people and give Parliament a bit of wiggle room.

Archived