UK Politics: The Edge of Destruction

Chaircat Meow

4 hours ago, mormont said:

So here we go... 'can we have another extension, please?'

But it looks like we'll be taking part in those Euro elections after all. 

May asks for Brexit extension to 30 June as Tusk offers up to a year

So May wants this done ASAP (understandably) and she thinks she can last as PM til 30th June.

Tusk wants to avoid every Council meeting until the end of his tenure being taken up with Brexit, and to stop the UK from asking for short extensions every couple of weeks, so he proposes a hugely generous year long flexible extension.  I assume May won't last a year!

I'm guessing Tusk will win this one.

6 hours ago, mormont said:

More specifically, I'm not even saying turnout will definitely be low. I'm saying I think it's reasonable to anticipate that holding elections in this scenario may be problematic, rather than just being opposed to the idea ideologically. I agree it would be wonderful if we held European elections and returned a slate of pro-Remain MEPs with a turnout of 75%. But how likely is that really? Based on the historic disinterest in Euro elections, coupled with the fact that (as I say) every candidate elected would be a lame duck, I think not very.

I think it will (potentially) be a high turnout, if people see it as a chance to protest Brexit. It is absolutely possible, the election will have a low turnout and prove your point. However, I think this year's European election get more attention in the UK than in previous years, because of Brexit and how they factor in there.

Guess we can postpone this discussion until after the election.

1 hour ago, redriver said:

Not as statement,but in question form.The idea being "can you guys help me out with this?"

Sorry, I'm just not having this.

For years, people have been asserting their stupid ideas in question form. It's a technique that allowed Erich von Daniken to earn $$$ by asking idiotic questions like, 'Were the Nazca lines created so that Aliens had super long runways to land their spaceships on?" It also allows racists to put moronic ideas into the public mind by saying things like, 'Do white people have bigger brains than black people?'

The way you framed your 'question' along with the subsequent mention of gravy train suggests that you already thought you knew the answer. 

And it's bullshit like this, moronic opinions shared by the press and on social media, that has led us to where we are today. You could have answered your 'question' via google, like I did, in two seconds flat. Instead you came on here to spread lies.

Post-truth sucks. I'm fucking sick of it. 

Just now, Spockydog said:

Why? Have they finally euthanized Paul Merton?

Ah no - I like Ian and Paul and their curmudgeonly old man love for one another.  Paul's reaction to Trump winning the US election is one of the best.

Just now, Mosi Mynn said:

Ah no - I like Ian and Paul and their curmudgeonly old man love for one another.  Paul's reaction to Trump winning the US election is one of the best.

He's been phoning it in for years now.

1 hour ago, Spockydog said:

Yes, and kippers smell like fish. What's your point? 

I'm sure he can answer for himself, but the obvious point is that voters' views can change over time.  Most over 65's voted to Remain in the EU, in the 1975 referendum.  41 years later, their view had changed.

I don't doubt most voters in 2016 - Remain or Leave - voted the way they did because they saw it as being in the national interest.

5 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'm sure he can answer for himself, but the obvious point is that voters' views can change over time.

Except, according to everyone other than those who voted Remain, during the period between June 2016 and The End of Fucking Time.

5 minutes ago, Spockydog said:

Except, according to everyone other than those who voted Remain, during the period between June 2016 and The End of Fucking Time.

We may not leave the EU, in which case, people will be able to vote on doing so in the future.  And, if we do leave, people will be free to campaign to rejoin.

14 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'm sure he can answer for himself, but the obvious point is that voters' views can change over time.  Most over 65's voted to Remain in the EU, in the 1975 referendum.  41 years later, their view had changed.

I don't doubt most voters in 2016 - Remain or Leave - voted the way they did because they saw it as being in the national interest.

Its really just this deeply unpleasant rhetoric, that older voters are going to just die off and then the young voters with their ideas will take over. Its said with a sort of maniacal glee quite often.  

Like you say it's just as likely that they will become less idealistic over time and more realistic, and will also have a point of reference to judge the changes in their country. They might well at that point want to rejoin the EU of course, but they might not. 

2 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Its really just this deeply unpleasant rhetoric, that older voters are going to just die off and then the young voters with their ideas will take over. Its said with a sort of maniacal glee quite often.

It's fucking true though. My dad voted leave. He died two years ago. Nothing gleeful about it.

Just now, SeanF said:

Your dad was a sensible man.

He was a fucking idiot, who voted Leave then refused his chemo. I don't think I'll ever be able to forgive him.

1 minute ago, Heartofice said:

I'm sorry to hear that.

Thanks.

Thinking about it, there's a perfectly good moral (and perhaps legal) argument that his vote should be expunged from the count. Or would someone care to tell me why his long-dead voice is more important than my eighteen-year-old nephew's?

I shan't hold my breath.

Thinking about it, there's a perfectly good moral (and perhaps legal) argument that his vote should be expunged from the count. Or would someone care to tell me why his long-dead voice is more important than my eighteen-year-old nephew's?

I'm not sure how you want to carry out voting for anything using your logic.

Just now, Heartofice said:

I'm not sure how you want to carry out voting for anything using your logic.

All I'm saying is that, in any democracy, the views of the living should supercede those of the dead. Or do you disagree with that?

All I'm saying is that, in any democracy, the views of the living should supercede those of the dead. Or do you disagree with that?

But how do you suggest a voting system if you want to disregard votes cast by people who die after the vote in favour people who were too young to vote when the vote was cast. It's an impossible logic.

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

But how do you suggest a voting system if you want to disregard votes cast by people who die after the vote in favour people who were too young to vote when the vote was cast. It's an impossible logic.

Is it any more illogical than the shitshow we're currently witnessing?

It's been three years. Three fucking years. With a delay, it's going to be what, four, maybe five years since the referendum when we actually leave. After so much time, if you're so concerned about The Will of the People, why wouldn't you have at least a confirmatory vote?

Archived