Sign in to follow this  
DMC

US Politics: Reaching the Tipping Point

11 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Concentration camps were a British invention during the Boer War.

I think Kal was talking about specifically when the Nazis started using them, but it is valuable to remember that Germans didn't invent them and don't have the monopoly.

The US used concentration camps on my people during the Philippine rebellion against US rule in the early 20th century.

Just now, DanteGabriel said:

I think Kal was talking about specifically when the Nazis started using them, but it is valuable to remember that Germans didn't invent them and don't have the monopoly.

The US used concentration camps on my people during the Philippine rebellion against US rule in the early 20th century.

Also, don't forget the vast gulag that was the USA's slaveocracy's Cotton Kingdom.  It was one mammoth locked down prison, from Virginia to the Gulf and up into Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky, with many an outpost in Missouri and Indiana.

Just now, Zorral said:

Also, don't forget the vast gulag that was the USA's slaveocracy's Cotton Kingdom.  It was one mammoth locked down prison, from Virginia to the Gulf and up into Mississippi, Tennessee and Kentucky, with many an outpost in Missouri and Indiana.

Ah yes, the genesis of idealized Southern manhood: you have to be tough and learn to ride and shoot so you can help keep the slaves down.

19 hours ago, karaddin said:

This question is ultimately "would you trade the well being of prospective immigrants/asylum seekers for a material/monetary gain for the people already in your country" where if the answer is yes you are then looking at 'well being' meaning a spectrum from "heavily restricting legal immigration intakes" to "putting people in concentration camps even when they are legitimately seeking asylum". Australia was asked this question and our center left party caved and said yes even to the most extreme options there and it disgusts me..

Just for the record I see my question that started this not even resembling the way it's phrased here and is not at all the calculus I thought that I was asking people to consider.  

For one, again, i wasn't talking about going full right winger (though I take your point about the Australian party and there's what I dredged up upthread about the Danish party).  I was talking more about tracking a bit right from where they are like making it more clear that they're not for open borders and whatnot.  And per @Darzin upthead I also have to believe there's a way to be for allowing less immigration without being racist about it. The the world need not be so polarized.  

But to the 2nd part the trade-off of this move is not getting monetary gain for one's self at the detriment of would be immigrants.  There are so many other angles to consider, at least in the current American example which is 100% the context I wanted people to consider.  

Think of climate change which has the potential to harm most people on Earth.  If Trump is utterly horrible on this front is not one of the most important things an American voter could do to get rid of Trump at all costs?  

And think of the kids in the concentrations camps under Trump.  If Trump wins it sure won't seem that they've been helped much.  So if the calculus was that the rightward track on immigration for the sake of winning the election was the calculus there's also a very different way to look at it on that front.*

*this is all of course a hyopthetical and I again don't want to say that voters necessarily face this calculus.  they may not

16 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Ah yes, the genesis of idealized Southern manhood: you have to be tough and learn to ride and shoot so you can help keep the slaves down.

I had a customer this week who literally told me that the problem with millennials is that "none of them know how to fire a gun from horseback." He then made it clear that all three of his millennial children were trained to do so.   

13 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I had a customer this week who literally told me that the problem with millennials is that "none of them know how to fire a gun from horseback." He then made it clear that all three of his millennial children were trained to do so.   

Leaving aside the stupidity of that skill being important, was there ever a time when most Americans of any generation knew how to do this?  Guns and horses are both pretty expensive, their presence is hardly ubiquitous.

8 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Leaving aside the stupidity of that skill being important, was there ever a time when most Americans of any generation knew how to do this?  Guns and horses are both pretty expensive, their presence is hardly ubiquitous.

I’ve always associated that with the West more so than the South. In the South you have to learn how to crack a whip from horseback. Which explains why so many pitchers are white and from the South.

:P

22 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I’ve always associated that with the West more so than the South. In the South you have to learn how to crack a whip from horseback. Which explains why so many pitchers are white and from the South.

:P

7/10 joke (Jace uses intelligent people scales where '5' is average). Workshop it and it's got 10/10 potential. I wouldn't open with it, but this needs to be in your standup routine.

8 minutes ago, Jace, Basilissa said:

7/10 joke (Jace uses intelligent people scales where '5' is average). Workshop it and it's got 10/10 potential. I wouldn't open with it, but this needs to be in your standup routine.

I have a way to make it better, but I never can remember if it was Murphy, Rock or Chappelle who joked that racist Southerners accidentally messed around and made a super race.

49 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Yeah it's like the 'conscript cavalry' shit.  Dude's a Big Game Great White Hunter type.  An extreme example for sure, just hadn't really heard shooting from horseback come up in conversation not related to literature or movies before so was kind of funny someone mentioned it here.  Dude also complained about how much the fees were increasing at the airstrip where he keeps his planes (for real).

12 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I have a way to make it better, but I never can remember if it was Murphy, Rock or Chappelle who joked that racist Southerners accidentally messed around and made a super race.

I don’t know about those three, but I know Burr did in a Hitler bit.