Women's World Cup 2019

ljkeane

Thus far, our left has really been terrible. Reiten hasn't gotten into the game at all, both offensively and defensively, and Minde is struggling.

ETA: Our left hand side is Utter Shit at Defending today. That was well taken by England, but when we offer half a pitch to play in and cover virtually no-one, that makes it easy. 

In fairness Bronze and Parris are England's best two players so that probably factors into it a bit.

Really good first half from England. They've shackled Graham-Hansen well, Neville going with Stokes at left back looks a good call, and they've scored a couple of good goals and could easily have a couple more. Bronze is such a good player. 

On the down side they've still had a couple of the sloppy moments which have been a feature in all their games.

Putting a converted winger up against Parris and Bronze on the right was always going to lead to trouble. Minde has done pretty well on ocassion when it was just Parris she had to deal with in fairness.

Minde has been our left back ever since Sjögren took over two and a half years ago, so she should know her position well enough by now. 

Problem is that midfield don't follow the runs, Thorirsdottir isn't the best at cutting them out and Minde tends to take the wrong choices when overloaded. Overcommitting a bit too much.

A bit of a ropey second half from England, Norway really should have scored a goal or two, but that's still a really good win. I thought it'd be a very tight game. They'll have to cut out some of the loose play in the next game though, you'd expect either France or the US to punish them if they're presented with that many chances.

Good start for the US.

Both sides are getting in behind each other’s fullbacks a lot.

ETA: Two absolute stone cold dives, one for each side, so far by the way. One of the most irritating things about women’s football is the commentators saying you should watch women’s football because they’re all lovely and don’t dive etc so I’m quite glad we got that in early.

17 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Pretty thrilled to have a random day off right now.

Wish this Argentina match wasn't on at the same time.  Life's rough. 

Lucky. At least I can take a late lunch and catch the second half. Debating whether to go to a random bar nearby or back to my place, which isn’t that far away.

It looks like the US switched on to the fact that they probably don’t need to keep throwing both fullbacks forward when they’re in front after about 20 minutes. Since then France have had the majority of the ball but it’s been a stalemate with neither side creating too much. That’s fine for the US.

6 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

It looks like the US switched on to the fact that they probably don’t need to keep throwing both fullbacks forward when they’re in front after about 20 minutes. Since then France have had the majority of the ball but it’s been a stalemate with neither side creating too much. That’s fine for the US.

You’re right and I’d say more than not needing to push those fullbacks up they simply can’t with France constantly threatening down the wings. 

41 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Lucky. At least I can take a late lunch and catch the second half. Debating whether to go to a random bar nearby or back to my place, which isn’t that far away.

Recently remodeled my office to pick up an additional 700 sq ft.  As a bonus, my personal office how has a window... but more importantly, a smart TV with the ability to stream my DirectTV Now subscription.  I've got the ladies pulled up on the TV while I work on files.

Archived