US Politics: 40 Acres and Barack Obama

Fragile Bird

@Fragile Bird

There is a place, out beyond the boundaries, where the rules aren't weapons anymore but shackles. Letting the bad guy get ahead. One day you may face such a moment of crisis and when you do I hope you have a friend like I did. 

One willing to plunge their hands into the filth! So that you can keep yours clean!

And that's why I have to destroy. It's my nature.

Lemme start talking bout a bird. Posting all the time, never met hollow boned rhyme

from the Wicked Bitch of the West, I'm attacking from the sun

Cause motherfucking Jace don't need no gun, I'll swoop down

Outta the sky, hitting on a birdie like a Manitoba nice guy 

I don't care, when you call the pigs 

Cause I'll eat them Mounties off a goddamn twig 

That I snap, from a branch 

Causing so much chaos they call me Russel Hantz

Dodging to the left, feinting to the right 

Laying into every one in sight

- We didn't know the power

It was always inside her 

Just ready to go 

We didn't know the power 

Of the Jacelyn post 

And the vengeful ghost 

That will still go on 

And on and on 

And on -

Bad Bitches, Turtle Mitches, Warren fans, also rans, and there's even Bernie Man.

- We didn't know the power. 

It was always inside her 

Just ready to go

We didn't know the power 

Of the Jacelyn post 

And the vengeful ghost 

That will still go on

And on and on

And on-

Jace coming from the sky

Don't bother asking why

Doesn't matter what you do

Everybody's gonna die

Filibusters and the courts, making bombs for Iran's forts 

Bad hombres got inside, it's because Obama lied 

Look we really need a wall, Mexicans are just too tall

Hating on Obamacare I just want to have a say, but don't take away my ACA

Biden, Buttedgedge, Alabama abortion law, Presidential privileges and disregard for the law

- We didn't know the power 

Of the Jacelyn post

And the vengeful ghost 

That will still go on

And on and on

And on-

@Tywin et al.

43 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

At this point everything Booker does feels like he's pandering, and that is sad in a way because if you look at his life story, he's kind of amazing.

I agree with the larger points you're making, but I think you might have misunderstood what I was trying to say. I wasn't talking about their accents. I just thought it made total sense for Castro to speak in Spanish because it is a key component of his life. It's part of his story and the first debate is largely time to introduce yourself. With Booker and Beto, it just felt like they took a chance to go, "Hey look, I can speaking in Spanish too" while winking at Latino primary voters. 

Yep. It was surprising for me to learn that they spoke Spanish differently in Argentina compared to the countries around them. It took a bit to get used to it.

What better situation to introduce to the national audience that these POTUS hopefuls can speak Spanish than on a national televised stage that is co-sponsored by Telemundo?  I'm not going to criticize them for this -- beyond Beto's pace-impaired decision to OPEN with Spanish. But he was fairly sure, probably, he wouldn't et much time, so he led with the information that though he may be pace impaired, he's not (entirely) tone deaf to the concerns of the latinx populations.

What really irks me is the the o superior sneering of all these media assholes that these guys spoke Spanish, and not Castillian Spanish, such as on WNYC's mid-day two hour program, where the very VERY light-skinned hostess invited on two other women to comment, one of whom is a stand-up comedian, and the other who claims to be a sociologist.  Neither of them, much less Alison Stewart (formerly a host on MTV!), speak any Spanish at all.  Their criticisms of the entire debate were embarrassing -- mean college girls giggling together. Why in hell does media mediate anyway, when they are almost always wrong about everything?

Anyway, by this time tomorrow, all this will be long forgotten, as the Media-Politics-Election-Industrial-Money-making-Complex howls back and forth about what will happen -- not happen, tonight.

8 hours ago, Mexal said:

We are so fucked. SCOTUS just ruled (5-4 along ideological lines) that partisan gerrymandering cannot be taken up by federal courts and therefore is legal, no matter how extreme. The practice of politicians picking voters and being insulated from voter accountability is going to get a whole lot worse.

They're going to do the same with the Census case, no matter how much the Commerce Dept violated the law. Elections have major major consequences.

Wow. Love the reasoning. Yes, this violates the constitution. But as the constitution doesn’t have explicit rules to say how to decide on this issue, who are we to decide where a line is drawn?

You’re the fucking Supreme Court, deciding where the line is is your job!

26 minutes ago, ants said:

Wow. Love the reasoning. Yes, this violates the constitution. But as the constitution doesn’t have explicit rules to say how to decide on this issue, who are we to decide where a line is drawn?

You’re the fucking Supreme Court, deciding where the line is is your job!

It would not be so egregious if this was not the same Roberts Court that decided to take a hatchet to the Voting Rights Act. We all knew this was coming though. I read a George Will column several months ago that sounded just like Roberts's opinion. 

However, Speaking of Spanish, as we are, as and where spoken by Dem pres hopefuls -- Bill de Blasio, you can just go home now.  You may understand NYC but you DO NOT UNDERSTAND MIAMI:

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/bill-de-blasio-che-guevara

De Blasio did this ... IN MIAMI!

Your amusing political gaffe of the day.

Bill de Blasio tossed out a Che Guevara line at a union rally down in Miami today. In Miami. Did I mention Miami?

6 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Deal. The stakes will be Jace’s next title, since I own the rights to it after she welched on getting the Alabama Senate race wrong and I’ve only used one of my three “Jace sic’ ems” so she’s not in the clear yet.

Speaking of which, I’ll use my second sic’ em on the BIRD! I’m tired of her spewing syrup soaked Canadian propaganda about how her ancestors won the chip. The Toronto Raptors are not the NBA champions. KD”s torn Achilles is.

:P

No no no no, the accusation is I post about unicorns and rainbows!

Marshae Jones was five months pregnant when she got into an argument on a December afternoon last year outside a Dollar Store in Birmingham, Alabama. The argument escalated and the 27-year-old was shot in the stomach. Jones was rushed to the hospital and eventually recovered, but the shooting ended her pregnancy. Police initially charged the shooter, 23-year-old Ebony Jemison, with manslaughter for firing on Jones in what police say was a dispute over the man who was the father-to-be, but the charges were dismissed after the grand jury declined to indict Jemison because she was acting in self-defense. On Wednesday, however, an Alabama grand jury instead charged Jones with manslaughter for the miscarriage. Why? “The investigation showed that the only true victim in this was the unborn baby,’’ local police Lt. Danny Reid said at the time of the shooting. “It was the mother of the child who initiated and continued the fight which resulted in the death of her own unborn baby.” Marshae Jones is now in jail.

A Pregnant Woman Who Miscarried After Being Shot in the Stomach Is Being Charged With Manslaughter in Alabama

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/06/alabama-pregnant-woman-unborn-baby-fetus-miscarriage-gunshot-stomach-manslaughter.html

Woo ... the grown-ups table is pretty much a train wreck so far.  So far last night I was pretty impressed with how intelligently and well-informed they presented themselves.  These people are YELLING.

Just now, Zorral said:

Woo ... the grown-ups table is pretty much a train wreck so far.  So far last night I was pretty impressed with how intelligently and well-informed they presented themselves.  These people are YELLING.

Gillibrand started out drowning and is sinking deeper by the moment. I know it's not fair, but one of her staffers needs to tell her that women aren't allowed to interrupt in debates.

Harris is by far the best of them.  But nobody wants her to talk.  And who is the guy gunning to be the VP to Biden?  That pandering was -- well, anyway, Biden lurved it. feh.

This is a lot less interesting than last night.

The more favored the candidates are, the less they speak anything of real content.

5 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Harris is by far the best of them.  But nobody wants her to talk.  And who is the guy gunning to be the VP to Biden?  That pandering was -- well, anyway, Biden lurved it. feh.

This is a lot less interesting than last night.

The more favored the candidates are, the less they speak anything of real content.

Yeah, I was about to say that. They are not giving Harris enough time, and this is pretty typical. She has been fantastic though when she got a word in and at one point managed to seize the mic back. 

Sanders is actually having a good night. He's also still Sanders. He looked to be starting out slow and creaky, but he quickly picked up his pace. He is a dog with a bone and he does not let go of it. Sanders has been the most effective as seizing the limelight tonight.

No great errors from Biden yet. He's fairly charming, but the candidate I want to tank the most.

Buttigieg I was not familiar with, but he seems extremely charming is my impression. His ideas may be a bit to centristy for me though.

Gillibrand -- really do not like.  Ugh.

Again, the more experienced, the longer in office, these guys are, the less they actually say.

Ugh.

So again, last night was a lot more interesting.

Todd: pass me the tin, Rach? *Eats 8oz of Cold War civil defense supply canned sardines*

*Wiping hands on pants* They're going to have some tough questions to answer in Round Two.

Maddow: you really wonder who's going to get these Daily Doubles, Chuck, you really do.  Because at this point , that's a game changer for anyone

3 minutes ago, Triskele said:

Biden/Harris ticket taking a hit?

ETA:  Biden to me looks, without any comment on his positions, sharper than I expected.  I'm a bit relieved by that not because he's my choice but because of my fear he'd be too over the hill to take on Trump.  Feeling slightly better about that possibility at the moment.  

If Biden/Harris is the goal this is probably the best way to do it: have them tear each other apart tonight, then have a high profile listening to each other's position and 'uniting the party' weeks later. 

Archived