Comics Phase Fourteen

Teng Ai Hui

4 hours ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

After reading the first issue of Excalibur, I will now refer to Apocalypse as "The Artist Formerly Known As Apocalypse".

He really should form a band. 

I didn't notice any name changes in "new mutants" or "X-Force". EDIT: no goldballs is now egg. What gives? I'd have thought Rahne would have wanted a name change along the lines of "Maisie Williams" (the artist clearly knows there's a probably never to be released new mutants film) or "wolfsembrace". 

Speaking of Rahne, it was good they acknowledged her recent death as it's probably the closest we've got to an acknowledgement the events pre Hoxpox happened. Still seems crappy of Xavier to let all the mutants die over the last few years and not bring back when he seemed to have all the mutants necessary for his resurrection factories. Unless goldballs/egg didn't realize what his powers were until very recently (and Moira didn't know). I'm still a bit unsure about krakoa too - did the island only recently resurface? Probably all things that come from not having read x-men for a few years and not really things that get in the way of the story.

Got my hands on Legion of Superheroes #1...and I'm not sold in the Bendis style of writing on this book.  I'm a huge Legion partisan, and it's relaunch is another reason I'm back in the comic shop more than once in a blue moon these days, but the first issue wasn't all I hoped for. I'll stick with it for now though...

56 minutes ago, Red Tiger said:

Drinking game. Take a shot every time the Summers clan remind you they are family.

"Son", "father", "kids", "kiddo". Doesn't matter, just make sure you have an ambulance on standby.

What happens when one of them decides they want to be referred to as "dad" rather than "father" though?

1 hour ago, Winterfell is Burning said:

Haven't read it, but Bendis strikes me as the absolutely wrong writer for a LOSH book. The right one is Hickman, ironically enough.

Speaking of him, X-men #2, A.K.A. the Dad issue, could have been very good, but the art is just awful. And there's 4 more (all late) issues of Yu to go...

Wasn't there a fairly solid rumour that Hickman was going to develop LOSH for DC a few years back? It's easy to see how X-men could easily have used his "unused" legion ideas. From the LOSH lead in it looked like there were quite a few similarities with HOXPOX. Not the first time marvel and DC have had very similar stories at same time

1 hour ago, red snow said:

What happens when one of them decides they want to be referred to as "dad" rather than "father" though?

Wasn't there a fairly solid rumour that Hickman was going to develop LOSH for DC a few years back? It's easy to see how X-men could easily have used his "unused" legion ideas. From the LOSH lead in it looked like there were quite a few similarities with HOXPOX. Not the first time marvel and DC have had very similar stories at same time

Hickman said he grew on X-men and LOSH as his main books. And the rumor was before Bendis went to DC.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:17 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

Hickman said he grew on X-men and LOSH as his main books. And the rumor was before Bendis went to DC.

Chances are he had similar ideas for both of them. A bit like his obsession with black and white character designs.

I wasn't that impressed with X-men 2. Krakoa mating was the main thing the issue had going for it and suggests the overall story will keep moving forward. The art was very sketchy and rushed in places too - I've never been sure why Yu gets so many high profile gigs.

Fallen Angels was very focused on Psylocke which was ok. Kid Cable is popping up everywhere unfortunately - it's not that I hate his characterisation it's just I find it pointless to have a character we've known as an adult for so long. There's also the original 5 problem of Kid cable has his mind wiped and forgets everything at some point rendering Kid Cable pointless or there's a massive plot hole in Cable never telling anyone to watch out for all the things from his past that would be in the X-men's future.

Out of all the Dawn of X books, New mutants has easily been my favourite. It could change with additional issues

New Mutants

X-men

Marauders

Fallen Angels

X-force

Excalibur

Only New Mutants has really impressed me. I think HOXPOX maybe set too high a standard moving forward but none of the ongoings have come close to capturing the intrigue and excitement of those books. The majority of the books feel like fairly average X-books but with the new dressing of HOXPOX. Probably a lot better than the X-men books have been for a while though.

I liked this. She was pretty wild in the past, X-Treme X-men being an example, so it's all in character. At first I was sorta against her getting those tattoos, but again, in character.

Runaway Pryde and Emma fans will probably end up loving this series, but other than that, I don't think it'll have much to offer.

Still better than Excalibur, IMO, as that series is just doing absolutely nothing for me.

Edited by Red Tiger

I feel the exact opposite. I think Marauders it's pretty bad- nothing in it feels organic, just seems like Duggan wants people to see how awesome and cool he is because he makes Kitty drunk and Emma humiliating Shaw or whatever, but it's so telegraphed it's impossible to enjoy.

Excalibur, however, continues to be good, even if clearly not a book for everyone. Apocalypse continues to be the stand out character of this relaunch, amazingly enough.

Immortal Hulk was pretty awesome as always.

Haven't got my hands on this week's releases but I did enjoy "Punisher: Soviet" which is what you'd expect from Ennis at this stage. I've been reading some of Joe Hill's horror series thanks to a cunning free sampler my comic store gave me and I found both "Basket full of heads" and "Dollhouse" intriguing (the back up "sea dogs" not so much). Weirdly Lemire's "family tree" also feels like it could be part of the horror line. Must be the season getting me to try those books out.

I finished Ellis' "the Wild Storm" and found it to be a great nostalgia trip/reboot. There was a lot to juggle but Ellis managed to pull it off in a single title. It maybe left the WildCats by the wayside as it became more of an Authority comic but there is supposed to be a Wildcats follow-up series (although it was supposed to be out in August so that's a bit of a worry). The book should also be used to show other companies how to switch genders and races of known characters as Ellis and co. have made what was a fairly male then white dominated cast much more diverse. Maybe it's because the characters aren't as "big" as say Superman, etc or because the original characters technically still exist in the DC universe (Midnighter does at least) but it worked really smoothly for me and I'm someone who was a big fan of the Stormwatch/Authority cast. Probably boils down to the characters maintaining their essence and the new versions being as strong (better in the case of the Doctor) as the originals. That and the title being obscure enough that DC/Marvel trolls can't get enraged at a level where I can hear it.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:24 PM, Winterfell is Burning said:

I feel the exact opposite. I think Marauders it's pretty bad- nothing in it feels organic, just seems like Duggan wants people to see how awesome and cool he is because he makes Kitty drunk and Emma humiliating Shaw or whatever, but it's so telegraphed it's impossible to enjoy.s.

Well, yes, that is basically what I said. Hence why I said it wouldn't have much to offer, if you are not a Kitty or Emma fan.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to reading the last issue of Doomsday Clock. I thought it was a pretty satisfying ending. I’m not the biggest DC reader, so I had to look up some of the Flashpoint/New 52 stuff that this book changes, but I liked the Watchmen aspects of it a lot. Gary Frank did some absolutely stunning work in the final issue. 

On 12/6/2019 at 6:12 AM, KingintheNorth4 said:

Issue #1: The X-Men fight apes with PhDs.

Issue #2: Two islands literally fuck.

Issue #3: The eco terrorist versions of the Golden Girls call Emma a tart and beat the shit out of Sebastian Shaw.

And I've enjoyed reading all of it so far.

It's odd how Hickman  is really leaning into the comedy with his dawn of X titles. Manhattan projects was zany but X-Men and new mutants have been laugh out funny. I like this side of him.

Emma and Jean's trading of insults in issue 3 was great too.

I'm a little bit behind with the series due to xmas but enjoying his books and finding the others ok/average.

Bumper volume of immortal hulk landed this morning. 16 issues for the price of 4. Although I'd already read the first 5.