Cricket 38: Ashes Openers Crash and Burns

Philokles

9 hours ago, Jeor said:

It's the West Indies, so I suspect it will be a gentle introduction for England (sorry to the Windies fans, although they do have some good players coming up, it's probably a little too early to expect them to take it to England on home soil). For England, the batting may be a little thin without Root, but it's a good chance for the lesser lights to shine.

I suspect you are probably right about the outcome. The best hope for the Windies is probably that it's a low scoring series overall, they do have a respectable bowling attack even if their batting might be expected to struggle. Both sides batsmen might be quite rusty from not having had much time in the middle in recent months.

Yet another series where you'd expect ball to dominate bat, the ban on saliva ball-shining notwithstanding. 

But I'm certainly looking forward to it! Will have it on in the background while I work (something I can't easily do in the office!)

On 7/6/2020 at 8:08 PM, Paxter said:

Yet another series where you'd expect ball to dominate bat, the ban on saliva ball-shining notwithstanding. 

But I'm certainly looking forward to it! Will have it on in the background while I work (something I can't easily do in the office!)

Hopefully the rain will stay away tomorrow, it would be typical for Test cricket to survive the global pandemic only to fall prey to the vagaries of the British weather.

15 minutes ago, The Winged Shadow said:

We need to ban England from ever hosting a cricket match again. Need my fix you piece of shit island! :bang:

They are playing now. Early breakthrough for the Windies with Sibley bowled.

Rain delays and struggling England openers, it's like Test cricket hasn't been away. 

The fake crowd noise is slightly creepy, particularly when they didn't turn it off for the minute's silence.

I didn't realize cricket was already starting. i thought we were like weeks/ months away. Now that I'm finally not in the US timezone, watching it will be much easier.

Pity all this stuff is happening right now. I haven't watched any cricket in England and was hoping I could go to a match this summer.

38 minutes ago, Paxter said:

Great stuff on #BLM.

But LOL at the rain. Even Canada has a better summer than England...and it takes a lot for me to credit this country's weather. 

For the last 5 or 6 years, April and May have been hot and very dry. June and July have been... like April and May are supposed to be. Very weird.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Great stuff on #BLM.

But LOL at the rain. Even Canada has a better summer than England...and it takes a lot for me to credit this country's weather. 

May this year was the sunniest month ever recorded in Britain. Of course, as soon as the cricket starts the rain comes back. 

53 minutes ago, Hereward said:

For the last 5 or 6 years, April and May have been hot and very dry. June and July have been... like April and May are supposed to be. Very weird.

Unrelated to cricket but...you do hear these stories a lot. Here in Canada the typical thing people point out is that the "shoulder" seasons have effectively been reduced to a few weeks, which wasn't the case in times gone by. The rest of the year is either bitterly cold and freezing (7 months of the year) or blazing heat and humid (4 months).

Back to the cricket...Burns is about to notch 1,000 test runs at a workmanlike average of 34. He has been a good find overall - certainly more consistent and dogged than the likes of Stoneman, Lyth and Jennings. 

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Back to the cricket...Burns is about to notch 1,000 test runs at a workmanlike average of 34. He has been a good find overall - certainly more consistent and dogged than the likes of Stoneman, Lyth and Jennings. 

His average may not be spectacular but I agree he's been the best of the post-Cook/Strauss openers and the first to really seem relatively secure in the position.

23 minutes ago, williamjm said:

His average may not be spectacular but I agree he's been the best of the post-Cook/Strauss openers and the first to really seem relatively secure in the position.

It is pretty funny that we are still talking about replacing Strauss eight years after his retirement. Since then, Cook had the pleasure of the following company at the top of the order:

• Compton
  • Root
  • Carberry
  • Robson
  • Trott 
  • Lyth
  • Ali
  • Hales
  • Duckett
  • Hameed
  • Jennings
  • Stoneman

But funnily he never got an in-person glimpse of Burns! One test too few for Alastair. Or maybe they would never have selected both Burns and Cook to open on the grounds of sameness. 

Great opening session for the West Indies. Good bowling and great reviewing to get some of those LBW decisions.

I would have considered Roach the main threat, but Gabriel has been excellent and Holder's bowling style (not too quick but accurate seamer) is well-suited to the English conditions.

No, this is just what I needed! There’s something inherently comforting about a good, old fashioned batting collapse. It’s drizzling, the top order are in the pavilion and all is well with the world. 

Another review, another LBW decision, another English wicket (Archer).

157/8 is pretty grim reading, but we thought this might be a low-scoring Test. I wouldn't count England out here, these conditions are going to be perfect their bowlers against a largely inexperienced West Indian lineup as well. Looks like it will be a good game if the weather stays away!

Windies on top but I'd say they are no more than 50:50 odds of eking out a lead. 

It's certainly no surprise to see England's batting struggle - it's a very inexperienced line-up and the WI bowling attack has delivered on its potential. 

Full credit to Holder who has quietly become a brilliant test allrounder. 106 wickets @ 26 and nearly 2,000 runs at 33. Similar record to a Shaun Pollock or Freddy Flintoff.

Archived