Suppose that the Targaryens had died out with their dragons?

James Steller

Assuming that House Targaryen’s fate had truly been tied to the lives of Valyrian dragons, and they were all wiped out during the Dance, what would have happened then to the rest of Westeros? Would they have gone independent again? Would someone have become the King of the Iron Throne? 

And follow up question: do you think that Westeros would have been better off without the Targaryens post-dance or worse?

Sooner than later Westeros gets fragmented, beginning with the Iron Islands.

And no, Westeros had to recover  from a brutal war which had oppened a lot of wounds, we see in Aegon the young's Wedding that pretty much only him and  his auntie prevented those lords  from killing each other, i don't think Westeros could've make it without Aegon  3 reign, whose reign was as vital to his House and  Realm as Jaeharys, the man just did an ok work while Jaeharys got an A+.

1 hour ago, James Steller said:

Assuming that House Targaryen’s fate had truly been tied to the lives of Valyrian dragons, and they were all wiped out during the Dance, what would have happened then to the rest of Westeros? Would they have gone independent again? Would someone have become the King of the Iron Throne? 

And follow up question: do you think that Westeros would have been better off without the Targaryens post-dance or worse?

Then I would not have read the books. I am not interested in Jon Snow, Arya, and Cersei.  The north and KL would not interest me.

2 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

Then I would not have read the books. I am not interested in Jon Snow, Arya, and Cersei.  The north and KL would not interest me.

Ah, but Jon Snow doesn’t exist without the Targaryens.

You know, I was about to joke that eliminating the Targaryens would be fine with me as they’re my least favourite part of the main storyline. But then if the Targaryens all died during the Dance, not only would we lose Jon Snow, Aegon III, Aegon V, and the Blackfyres, we also lose Jon Snow, the Baratheons as we know them, and possibly Tywin, since his father only became important and a ruler because his elder brothers died while fighting for House Targaryen.

I don't think things would have gone that differently. If Aegon III, Viserys, Baela, Rhaena, and Jaehaera had all died in 131 AC, then chances are pretty good that Alyn Velaryon and Cassandra Baratheon would have been put on the throne by the Sea Snake.

The dragons were effectively gone by that time, anyway, and there were tendencies for secession anywhere. How stable such a dynasty would have been cannot really be said, perhaps things would have deteriorated much further, perhaps such a new dynasty descended from the Targaryens would have produced some really great kings. We have no way to know.

12 hours ago, Centurion Piso said:

Game of Thrones will be the first and the last book in the series.  I can't imagine anybody wanting to buy the next book without the story of Daenerys, Viserys, and her dragons.  I love the Targaryens and hate the Starks. 

The books wouldn't be any good.  The Targaryens are the main people of the series.  Take the out of the picture and it is a completely different series. 

On 11/18/2019 at 5:38 PM, James Steller said:

Ah, but Jon Snow doesn’t exist without the Targaryens.

You know, I was about to joke that eliminating the Targaryens would be fine with me as they’re my least favourite part of the main storyline. But then if the Targaryens all died during the Dance, not only would we lose Jon Snow, Aegon III, Aegon V, and the Blackfyres, we also lose Jon Snow, the Baratheons as we know them, and possibly Tywin, since his father only became important and a ruler because his elder brothers died while fighting for House Targaryen.

So the price to have the Targaryens is to accept Jon Snow?  Hahaha what a cruel joke.  I believe Mance being the baby daddy is the better theory.  I can have the dragons without the dire wolves.  

On 11/18/2019 at 7:10 PM, Centurion Piso said:

Game of Thrones will be the first and the last book in the series.  I can't imagine anybody wanting to buy the next book without the story of Daenerys, Viserys, and her dragons.  I love the Targaryens and hate the Starks. 

I love House Targaryen also (As evidenced by my profile pic). I think they're really neat because of their Valyrian heritage and the fact that they could ride and command dragons. As far as if they had died out, I agree that the series would be much less interesting, and in addition, the 7 Kingdoms would just go back to being 7 squabbling petty kingdoms ruled bu their own lords. Would it have been better for the realm if House Targaryen were not the sole rulers? More difficult to answer, I am not sure. Some houses benefited from bending the knee to the dragon lords so I'd imagine they wouldn't be better off, but the lords who preferred self governance (Starks etc) would probably like that, because they could retain the titles Kings in the North/Kings of Winter.

From the in-world perspective it would be better if the Targaryens died sooner. It would have prevented the death of hundred thousands, and most likely, millions if we include the damage Daenerys will probably cause in ADOS. However as a reader I would be sad, because the story would be different if the house died so soon. Not only are they entertaining bunch, but if it weren't for their shenanigans my beloved Starklings wouldn't be alive. 

On 11/18/2019 at 2:51 PM, Widowmaker 811 said:

Same here.  The books would not have been the same.  I was unsure whether the story is any good until the chapter where Dany married Drogo.  I got interested from that point forward.

Archived