NBA Season 2020 - RIP Mamba

Relic

2 hours ago, Trebla said:

Wow, what a douche. 

ETA: I wonder if there is any kind of liability here. I don't know about criminal charges but could the NBA suspend him?

I think the NBA is certainly justified to levy a punishment. Just the optics of his behavior is a very bad look for the league, given the monumental impact of this thing. 

What this made me think of is how we wrap our minds around the comparisons.  

One of the most legendary individual performances in my lifetime is Michael Jordan's "flu game."  We still look back on that over 20 years later as an amazing feat of will in the arena of sports.  Then we look at Gobert who appears to be the picture of health and we are asking about criminal charges?

I am trying to create my frame for this and how to honestly evaluate my perspective.

58 minutes ago, Rhom said:

What this made me think of is how we wrap our minds around the comparisons.  

One of the most legendary individual performances in my lifetime is Michael Jordan's "flu game."  We still look back on that over 20 years later as an amazing feat of will in the arena of sports.  Then we look at Gobert who appears to be the picture of health and we are asking about criminal charges?

I am trying to create my frame for this and how to honestly evaluate my perspective.

The flu didn't bring the entire world to a screeching halt the year of that game, is why. 

Also just to be clear, I don't believe Gobert is criminally liable for anything, but I can see how his extreme carelessness and flippancy could be seen as damaging to the NBA's brand, again given these extreme circumstances. 

1 hour ago, Ferrum Aeternum said:

The flu didn't bring the entire world to a screeching halt the year of that game, is why. 

Also just to be clear, I don't believe Gobert is criminally liable for anything, but I can see how his extreme carelessness and flippancy could be seen as damaging to the NBA's brand, again given these extreme circumstances. 

If he had knowingly spread the virus, I think you could make an argument that he was liable.  However, he didn't know he had it at the time so I would agree it's more negligence than anything.  

Gobert has apologized, but fuck him anyway.

As a result, Gobert’s teammates are understandably pissed, with ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski reporting that the relationship between Gobert and the rest of the Jazz is frayed.

“The Jazz are fortunate that they don’t have to get back together and start playing games again right now,” Woj said on ESPN’s Sportscenter. “There is a lot of work to do to repair relationships [...] there’s a lot of frustration with Gobert.”

Which is why the 27-year-old has taken it upon himself to offer a mea culpa to, well, everybody.

“I want to thank everyone for the outpouring of concern and support over the last 24 hours. I have gone through so many emotions since learning of my diagnosis…mostly fear, anxiety, and embarrassment,” he posted on Instagram on Thursday. “The first and most important thing is I would like to publicly apologize to the people that I may have endangered. At the time, I had no idea I was even infected. I was careless and make no excuse.”

He continued, “I hope my story serves as a warning and causes everyone to take this seriously. I will do whatever I can to support using my experience as way to educate others and prevent the spread of this virus. I am under great care and will fully recover. Thank you again for all your support. I encourage everyone to take all of the steps to stay safe and healthy. Love.”

It's actually kind of enraging to see him say he's "under great care." He should have to just hole his dumb ass up in a shack in the desert somewhere while the "great care" he's getting is extended to the people he might have infected.

https://www.theroot.com/everybody-hates-rudy-gobert-1842314122

Yes, he's an idiot... but it might have taken an idiot to change public perception.  Honestly, I think the attitude in this country changed when he was diagnosed and the NBA abruptly cancelled games.

He may go down in history as a modern day Typhoid Mary.

12 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Yes, he's an idiot... but it might have taken an idiot to change public perception.  Honestly, I think the attitude in this country changed when he was diagnosed and the NBA abruptly cancelled games.

I called this going down in the COVID-19 thread last week. It seemed pretty obvious to me that March Madness was going to have to be postponed or canceled, and once the first case appeared in the NBA it would have to shut down, and once that happened everything would follow suit. The cynic in me thinks it has more to do with avoiding liability lawsuits and protecting brands, but maybe some did it for altruistic reasons.

40 minutes ago, Rhom said:

Certainly the NBA suspending the season seemed to make this hit home for people, but I think the NBA would have come to the same decision within a day or two anyway, without Gobert's flagrant fuckup and diagnosis. The chatter I heard was, "Did you hear the NBA suspended the season?" and not "Did you hear Rudy Gobert has Coronavirus?"

It does seem like Covid-19 became a Real Thing sometime between Wednesday night and Thursday morning. But I can't say if it's because the NBA suspended their season or because President Shithole gave a disastrous, Streisand-effect speech that night.

So im in Prague, and we're essentially under lock down. Everything canceled, everything must be closed at 8pm, no public gatherings, nothing. 

I fucking miss the NBA sooooo bad rn. 

10 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Certainly the NBA suspending the season seemed to make this hit home for people, but I think the NBA would have come to the same decision within a day or two anyway, without Gobert's flagrant fuckup and diagnosis. The chatter I heard was, "Did you hear the NBA suspended the season?" and not "Did you hear Rudy Gobert has Coronavirus?"

It does seem like Covid-19 became a Real Thing sometime between Wednesday night and Thursday morning. But I can't say if it's because the NBA suspended their season or because President Shithole gave a disastrous, Streisand-effect speech that night.

The speech and suspension happened so close together. It wouldn't be surprising if they were in a board meeting, paused to watch it and went "oh s***."

Still, I want to meet the person who first suggested they just stop shaking hands and all is well, because then I will have officially met the dumbest person to have ever lived. 

1 minute ago, Relic said:

So im in Prague, and we're essentially under lock down. Everything canceled, everything must be closed at 8pm, no public gatherings, nothing. 

I fucking miss the NBA sooooo bad rn. 

On the plus side for me, if all leagues don't finish the year and 2020 is a lost season, Chelsea is still in the Champions League. Woooooooooo!!!

Christian Wood of the Pistons is the 3rd player diagnosed with covid 19.

He was having some breakout games recently as the recipient of Andre Drummonds minutes, he just recently scored 32 points and is an extremely efficient scorer shooting well above 50 percent and in the high 30's for 3's.

1 hour ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's starting to look more and more like the season will just get cancelled. 

Agreed.  I wonder what this will mean for the draft.  If they hold on and try to finish the season, then the order won’t get settled in time to hold the draft in mid summer as normal.  And if you push it back further, you really start to make it hard on college coaches/players caught up in trying to build a roster/decide to stay.

They could jump straight to the playoffs based on the current standings, skipping the rest of the season. But even that seems a bit dicey. It all depends on when the most serious movement/congregation restrictions start getting lifted. Which seems impossible to forecast right now.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

It's starting to look more and more like the season will just get cancelled. 

along with everything else. for the next 18 months. 

Archived