NBA Season 2020 - RIP Mamba

Relic

23 minutes ago, Proudfeet said:

I don't think that teams missed Kawhi. I just thought that maybe he didn't have the prestige boost of being from an established school. Like if you're from Kentucky, even if you don't look great, you still get a chance at the second round at worst. Maybe. I'm not into the NCAA. Just trying to work things out. I'm not the one who thinks he should really have gone much higher. 

Klay though. His school looked like it sucked and he got picked higher. I guess being able to shoot counts for more.

That was the knock on Kawhi. He had a very simple offensive game coming out and no one saw him becoming the monster that he is. I forget the exact details. but there was some complications during the offseason he got drafted in, so the Spurs just gave him a coaching tape and all he did until they could play was work on his outside jumper.

Seems to have paid off. 

57 minutes ago, KingintheNorth4 said:

Scottie's dunk on Ewing in the 94 semis is still one of the most disrespectful dunks that I've ever seen.

I still send that gif to my Knick fan friends often. All different angles and everything. It never gets old... to me.

I didn’t enjoy MJ’s passive aggressive shot at Uconn Men’s hoops. They win their first title the year after, jerk! Poor Scott Burrell too. 

2 hours ago, Triskele said:

Oooh...do they show this on tonight's doc episodes?

I have to say though that while I'm watching it I am really not impressed with this doc.  I'm very entertained by it since there's good footage and interviews and these were my formative years of watching NBA.  But in terms of the story they're telling, the order they're putting it in, how much they tell you the tale of any individual game, etc...it's incoherent and kind of garbage.  I think one could be sort of lulled into liking it because it's a mashup of plenty of cool interview clips and highlights.  The time flies by.  But the people who made it should not be proud of what they've done.  Only the footage they've assembled.  

I'm enjoying it, but imdb has it at 9.3 currently and I dont see how its anywhere near that score. 

11 hours ago, BigFatCoward said:

I'm enjoying it, but imdb has it at 9.3 currently and I dont see how its anywhere near that score. 

Because everyone likes the swearing and it's the only sports thing to watch?

People probably also like that he's opening up a little bit, even if he's just showing you a crack. I think at one point he was legitly the most famous person in the world.

And yet, none of us would ever want to be him. Odd duality. 

17 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Because everyone likes the swearing and it's the only sports thing to watch?

The first week, I didn’t know there was an edited version running at the same time on ESPN2.  So I let the nine year old stay up to watch.  I told him beforehand there would be language, he isn’t to repeat it, blah blah blah.

Later that week, my wife finds out about the clean version and suggests that we watch that instead for the second and subsequent weeks.  I told her we could, but I really didn’t think he paid much attention to the swearing.

Flash forward to the Sunday of eps 3 and 4.  The family is having dinner in the car at Sonic and she asks him if he enjoyed The Last Dance and was looking forward to watching it again.  First thing out of his mouth “Yeah, they cussed a lot momma.” :lol: 

Okay... we’ll watch the edited version. 

Speaking of the edited version, they bleeped it out when Jordan called Scotty Burrell a ho. :dunno: 

Was hilarious because I couldn’t figure it out for a second, because they bleeped it out at the end of a sentence where it sounded like he was saying bitch.  But the subtitle ended the sentence “h*” :lol:  Guess I didn’t realize we had to edit the name of common garden utensils now.

3 hours ago, Rhom said:

The first week, I didn’t know there was an edited version running at the same time on ESPN2.  So I let the nine year old stay up to watch.  I told him beforehand there would be language, he isn’t to repeat it, blah blah blah.

Later that week, my wife finds out about the clean version and suggests that we watch that instead for the second and subsequent weeks.  I told her we could, but I really didn’t think he paid much attention to the swearing.

Flash forward to the Sunday of eps 3 and 4.  The family is having dinner in the car at Sonic and she asks him if he enjoyed The Last Dance and was looking forward to watching it again.  First thing out of his mouth “Yeah, they cussed a lot momma.” :lol: 

Okay... we’ll watch the edited version. 

Dude, he's heard you cuss out people while driving before.

Admit it! 

Game of Zones is knocking it out of the park with these last few episodes.

Barkley's Sun-Kings as Angola quote is fantastic, as is the James Harden ice cream helmet.  Also Jokic has the jokes, finally.

8 minutes ago, Relic said:

you're the worst

Relic!

Did you really just say that @Ramsay B. is worse than Dolan? 

You really are a fucking asshole to say that about another Knicks fan. Or another decent human being really.

Still arguably better than Snyder though. Marginally. 

Was watching the Last Dance the other day. When the Charles Smith game footage came on I literally felt sick, and proceeded to have a childish meltdown that left my gf stunned. 

The PTSD is strong in us 

I guess Joe Benigno from WFAN recently had a NCAA-style Bracket of Pain, featuring all different moments of sports agony. The winner was announced the other day and it was the Smith play.

That was 27 fucking years ago! Jeez

On 5/16/2020 at 1:21 PM, Ramsay B. said:

I guess Joe Benigno from WFAN recently had a NCAA-style Bracket of Pain, featuring all different moments of sports agony. The winner was announced the other day and it was the Smith play.

That was 27 fucking years ago! Jeez

[censored] 

On 5/17/2020 at 10:17 PM, Rhom said:

Somehow, I never knew that Steve Kerr’s dad was assassinated in Beirut.

Nor did I. I also didn't know he came from such an academic background.

Kerr probably came off better than anyone. And it's a good life lesson to see how Jordan respected him when he was willing to stand up for himself and fight.

On another note, Jerry Sloan has passed away. A true legend. Rest in power!

Archived