Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

Five chapters done on novella project, one to go (currently manuscript sits around 27,000 words).

Also a new short story out: https://eternalhauntedsummer.com/issues/winter-solstice-2023/lost-in-the-desert/

On 12/22/2023 at 2:08 PM, The Grey Wolf Strikes Back said:

Wrote another poem, this time reimagining Bluebeard as an eldritch evil of sorts.

I have an old short story (it's never been accepted, so remains unpublished) where I gender-flip Bluebeard and move the story to the Prohibition-Era USA.

2 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

I have an old short story (it's never been accepted, so remains unpublished) where I gender-flip Bluebeard and move the story to the Prohibition-Era USA.

Ooh, that sounds amazing! Wouldn't mind reading it if you'd like to share! (Can also share some of my own work in exchange!)

:)

• 3 weeks later...

I finished the second book of Dragonlance Chronicles (reading for a podcast next month). Book three is now staring me in the face.

After that, I'll probably work on my own novel (unlikely to ever finish) and maybe pick back up my new years eve book before it sits so long I get used to not reading it and abandon it forever.

Edited by Ser Not Appearing

• 4 weeks later...

Daughters of Derbyshire, my plague story, has been accepted for publication.

The publisher in question? The Lesbian Historical Motif Podcast.

Now, to clarify, given my other recent work: Daughters of Derbyshire does not contain sex at all. Or even romance. It's actually 'clean' historical fiction, this one involving a pair of young Puritan women in 1665-1666. Aforementioned young women obviously delight in each other, but this is a relationship shaped very much by time and place. This is also my first 'professional rate' story sale (8 US cents a word), making it far and away my best ever writing payday.

3 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Now, to clarify, given my other recent work: Daughters of Derbyshire does not contain sex at all. Or even romance. It's actually 'clean' historical fiction, this one involving a pair of young Puritan women in 1665-1666. Aforementioned young women obviously delight in each other, but this is a relationship shaped very much by time and place. This is also my first 'professional rate' story sale (8 US cents a word), making it far and away my best ever writing payday.

Congrats!

any word when Old Phuul is out?

I’vs not got the edits yet for Lucifer & Son (there were a few books in front of it) but I’m hoping it will still be out before Worldcon Glasgow.

Diabolic Immunity and The Blood Hour are still on submission to publishers. DInhad a few rejections fairly early on but nothing since, and absolutely nothing yet for TBH.

I’m 40k words into my time travel heist Titanic novel, with 28k words edited into a coherent story albeit not a final draft. I’ve had some feedback from a member of my local Nanowrimo group, and sent it to my agent for feedback.

I’m aiming for about 90k words, so almost halfway. I’m hoping to have it done by end of summer but we’ll see. Then I’ll work on thr last Sooty Feather novel.

Once that’s done, what I’ll do next will depend onof I’ve sold Diabolic Immunity, The Blood Hour or the Titanic novel. If none of them are accepted by a publisher, I’ll probably switch to a different genre.

13 hours ago, The Marquis de Leech said:

Congratulations!

• 2 weeks later...

Draft cover blurb for Lucifer & Son

Spoiler

The Devil you know.

October 1893

The living and undead alike fall like autumn leaves as a supernatural war ignites in Glasgow. The reclusive vampyre lord, Niall Fisher, rules the city from his crypt through his undead regent, Margot Guillam, and the secret society known as the Sooty Feathers. That rule is now challenged by the city’s former master, Arakiel, a demon overthrown by Fisher two centuries prior.

As deaths and disappearances rise, Lady Delaney and her apprentice Kerry Knox gather allies to free Glasgow from the demons and undead alike. Body snatcher Wilton Hunt is one such ally, drawn back into this war by the machinations of corrupt Bishop Redfort. Another is the uncompromising Wolfgang Steiner, a Templar Inquisitor as ruthless as the foe he fights.

But one among this band is Lucifer’s son, vengeance drawing him and his father back into the war, risking the revelation of his diabolical paternity. For Lady Delaney and the others, is the hour desperate enough to make common cause with the Devil?

From the glittering balls of high society to dung-caked slums,from a decrepit castle to tunnels beneath the city itself, blood is spilled and betrayal reigns. An exhausted stalemate looks nigh as Death’s scythe reaps without discrimination, but Arakiel plots to draw out Fisher for one last, decisive battle. And crucial to this scheme is an unwitting Lucifer, who must face the consequences of an ancient sin.

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

• 2 weeks later...

So NanoWrimo is in meltdown.

There have been issues for years, conplaints that they were affiliating with predatory vanity presses.

Last year things came to a head when there were complaints of grooming in Junior Nano forums, and of no action being taken. Thise in charge of Nano shut the forums.

Now they’ve released new rules, including a new agreement for thr ML’s (municipal liaisons). The ML’s arent hally because this new agreement leaves then potentially liable for all sorts of stuff. I’ll paste some examples below:

• “Mandated ID verification and background checks, but only with one US-based company with many accusations of a bad track record with data protection.
  • Taking on all legal liability for anything that happens at any point anywhere associated with our region.
  • Age-verifying every member ourselves to ensure no minors take part in our activities.
  • Filing a report for every instance of profanity???
  • Getting permission each time we want to talk to another ML.
  • Communicating with the region solely through the site (which means no Discord).
  • Following HQ’s decisions on public health policies, rather than the government’s.“

So the upshot is, Nano regions all around the world are breaking away from nano and acting as their own communities via discord etc, including the many of the Scotland ones.

I’m not sure how Nano as an organisation can survive this shitshow

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/25/2024 at 6:53 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Draft cover blurb for Lucifer & Son

Hide contents

The Devil you know.

October 1893

The living and undead alike fall like autumn leaves as a supernatural war ignites in Glasgow. The reclusive vampyre lord, Niall Fisher, rules the city from his crypt through his undead regent, Margot Guillam, and the secret society known as the Sooty Feathers. That rule is now challenged by the city’s former master, Arakiel, a demon overthrown by Fisher two centuries prior.

As deaths and disappearances rise, Lady Delaney and her apprentice Kerry Knox gather allies to free Glasgow from the demons and undead alike. Body snatcher Wilton Hunt is one such ally, drawn back into this war by the machinations of corrupt Bishop Redfort. Another is the uncompromising Wolfgang Steiner, a Templar Inquisitor as ruthless as the foe he fights.

But one among this band is Lucifer’s son, vengeance drawing him and his father back into the war, risking the revelation of his diabolical paternity. For Lady Delaney and the others, is the hour desperate enough to make common cause with the Devil?

From the glittering balls of high society to dung-caked slums,from a decrepit castle to tunnels beneath the city itself, blood is spilled and betrayal reigns. An exhausted stalemate looks nigh as Death’s scythe reaps without discrimination, but Arakiel plots to draw out Fisher for one last, decisive battle. And crucial to this scheme is an unwitting Lucifer, who must face the consequences of an ancient sin.

eagerly awaiting a release date. Wil pre-orders be available?