Boarders writing a novel

Derfel Cadarn

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

And it’s off! Finished Lucifer & Son (book 3 of 4 in the Sooty Feathers series) last night and emailed it to my publisher. It should be out some time next year, and since it’s set mostly in Glasgow, I’m hoping to use Worldcon Glasgow next year to promote the hell out of it and get some sales for the series.

I’m now working on a heist novel where an underwater recovery expert is hired to retrieve a safe containing a rare, possibly still drinkable, bottle of wine from the bow section of the Titanic.

The twist is, it was stored in the stern section (which was pretty much pancaked on impact), so her client is sending her and her team back in time to move the wine to where it will survive and can be recovered in the present. They can’t bring it back with them.

Lots of double-crosses…

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

3 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

And it’s off! Finished Lucifer & Son (book 3 of 4 in the Sooty Feathers series) last night and emailed it to my publisher. It should be out some time next year, and since it’s set mostly in Glasgow, I’m hoping to use Worldcon Glasgow next year to promote the hell out of it and get some sales for the series.

I’m now working on a heist novel where an underwater recovery expert is hired to retrieve a safe containing a rare, possibly still drinkable, bottle of wine from the bow section of the Titanic.

The twist is, it was stored in the stern section (which was pretty much pancaked on impact), so her client is sending her and her team back in time to move the wine to where it will survive and can be recovered in the present. They can’t bring it back with them.

Lots of double-crosses…

I can promise you one sale at least as I really enjoyed the first two books in the Sooty Feathers series and I'm looking forward to the latest one. Glasgow is a great setting.

On 9/8/2023 at 2:19 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Lots of double-crosses…

I love the premise for your heist novel!

Wrote a poem about Selene and Endymion last night. Title is "Who Woke Endymion?" Also, I forgot to share this but the title for my Lancelot poem is "A Knight's Reflection."

Oh, and I'm hosting a digital discount sale in the UK for my first book from 9/11-9/16.

(https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09N9QL1H7)

:)

Edited by The Grey Wolf Strikes Back

• 2 weeks later...

Have finished two months' worth of revisions on Old Phuul (including the addition of two extra chapters), and have resubmitted the resulting manuscript. Good to have that sorted by the end of September.

In other writing news, I dusted off an unfinished short story set in the same world, and turned it into a 1000-word flash fiction piece for online magazine purposes.

On 9/8/2023 at 2:19 PM, Derfel Cadarn said:

Lots of double-crosses…

This is an interesting subject because risks and difficulties of recovering something from the Titanic is forevermore linked to the submersible that imploded. People know more now and have a relationship with the idea. Have you considered what changes that might spawn in your story?

12 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

This is an interesting subject because risks and difficulties of recovering something from the Titanic is forevermore linked to the submersible that imploded. People know more now and have a relationship with the idea. Have you considered what changes that might spawn in your story?

I was originally going to use the Titan as a basis for the sub in my book … needless to say that won’t be happening!

Edited by Derfel Cadarn

Oddly enough, there is actually a 1898 novella called The Wreck of the Titan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wreck_of_the_Titan:_Or,_Futility

It's not very good, and is only remembered because of the Titanic fourteen years later.

Edited by The Marquis de Leech

• 4 weeks later...

Lucifer & Son (Sooty Feathers #3) has been accepted by Elsewhen Press and all going well will be out by next year.

Since it’s set mostly in Glasgow, I’m hoping to promote it (and books 1 and 2) heavily during Glascon next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2023 at 10:58 AM, The Marquis de Leech said:

The Freedom of the Watcher novella sitting at 17,100 words at the end of November. 25,800 words overall this month... yep, that's a good writing month.

I managed 19272 words this month :/