Statues, Monuments, and When to Take Down or Leave Up Ones Dedicated To Flawed Historical Figures

10 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yes there were many petitions in the past that didn’t really get much traction, suggesting it wasn’t really an issue that was at the forefront of most people’s minds.

In the Colston case, it did get traction, but the Society of Merchant Venturers (the people who put it up in the first place) kept blocking the attempts to remove it or even add an explanatory plaque.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I think this is the only important part of what you wrote 

I was being entirely open about where my opinion on the matter comes from. Whereas you apparently know nobody in Bristol but still felt free to say unequivocally:

3 hours ago, Heartofice said:

The statue that was pulled down in Bristol UK was one that most people barely noticed, and probably wouldn't have missed. But the act of ripping it down via a mob did nothing to foster support and most people disagreed with how it was done. 

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Well it’s called democracy isn’t it? That’s all I’m talking about. If a majority of people believe in taking down the statues then surely there wouldn’t be a problem in asking them.

Sometimes a majority wants something shitty for another group, should they be allowed to forever and always impose their will and expect thanks and politeness from everyone else? And I don’t know how much you wanna gotcha about democracy when your elected government can’t convene without your monarch’s invitation

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

Then surely there should be no issue getting full public consent to getting them taken down if you asked for it.

Wait, the statue was put up by a small group without public consent, so why is full public approval required to take it down? This is dumb argumentation even within your oeuvre of disingenuous apologia for racists and plutocrats.

1 hour ago, Fury Resurrected said:

And I don’t know how much you wanna gotcha about democracy when your elected government can’t convene without your monarch’s invitation

Yeah, this is really stupid and ignorant. The monarch’s invitation is wholly ceremonial. It’s like claiming that the US isn’t a democracy because the unelected Supreme Court Chief Justice swears the president in. 

2 minutes ago, Hereward said:

Yeah, this is really stupid and ignorant. The monarch’s invitation is wholly ceremonial. It’s like claiming that the US isn’t a democracy because the unelected Supreme Court Chief Justice swears the president in. 

There’s really no comparison between a Supreme Court justice and a monarch. A SCOTUS judge was at least someone involved in practicing the law who is just performing a job they were vetted for and voted on by elected officials. The Queen was just born that way, is on currency, and lives in a palace, has a crown. It’s ceremonial, sure, but the ceremonial embodiment of law being the highest ranking judge in the country versus the highest ranking member of hereditary aristocracy is very different.

10 hours ago, DanteGabriel said:

Wait, the statue was put up by a small group without public consent, so why is full public approval required to take it down? This is dumb argumentation even within your oeuvre of disingenuous apologia for racists and plutocrats.

One wonders how all those people hand-wringing about "oh, won't someone please think of the procedure" would have felt if it had been a statue of Greta Thunberg that had received this treatment instead. Could it be that in such a scenario the removal would have been a clear expression of the popular will, which had previously been thwarted by red tape and special interest groups? 

5 minutes ago, Ser Reptitious said:

One wonders how all those people hand-wringing about "oh, won't someone please think of the procedure" would have felt if it had been a statue of Greta Thunberg that had received this treatment instead. Could it be that in such a scenario the removal would have been a clear expression of the popular will, which had previously been thwarted by red tape and special interest groups? 

I’m sure there would be some people who would jump with glee at a statue of her being pulled down. But there is a point where left and right mirror each other in moronic stupidity so it wouldn’t be surprising.

Archived