Cricket 39: Playing COVID-19 With a Straight Bat

Jeor

Yeah another false dawn after all for Holder and his men. England have been completely dominant since the middle of Day One in the second test.

Dropping Broad certainly motivated him!

33 minutes ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, angry Broad is the best Broad. England should just drop him on a regular basis.

Or just suggest he and Jimmy are conjoined, so when Jimmy retires Broady has to as well, despite being four years younger.  This seems to irk him :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, angry Broad is the best Broad. England should just drop him on a regular basis.

Sometimes there's nothing more dangerous than an angry fast bowler, although I don't think any match is ever going to illustrate that better than Devon Malcolm vs South Africa.

17 hours ago, Paxter said:

Yeah another false dawn after all for Holder and his men. England have been completely dominant since the middle of Day One in the second test.

Dropping Broad certainly motivated him!

I feel like the format of these games has hurt them a lot. Their bowling has visibly declined from the highs of the first test, and to me that's down to a combination of lack of match practice, a small squad of players available and the insanely short turn around times. Playing back-to-back-to-back tests and expecting to get 100% out of the same set of fast bowlers (none of whom have played for 3 months) seems like a tough ask. Gabriel's injury niggles are both a manifestation of this and an exacerbating factor here - he was more likely to pick up a knock because of the circumstances, and him having to play through injury really reduces the effectiveness of their bowling unit.

England definitely stepped up a level after the first test, but had the Windies not taken a step down at the same time these two games would have been closer. The luxury of being able to rotate the bowlers (and get Broad fired up!) seems to have paid big dividends - but I guess my point is that they only have that advantage because they're at home and the Windies couldn't bring all of their first choice squad.

ST

8 hours ago, Mosi Mynn said:

500 for Broad!  Amazing!  :cheers:

And it looks like Jimmy will get in excess of 600 soon too.

I liked the trivia that Kraigg Brathwaite was Jimmy Anderson's 500th Test wicket the last time the Windies tour and now he's Broad's 500th victim as well.

5 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

Do we know when the next series starts and who are playing?

England vs Pakistan starts on the 5th of August, although in between the Tests there's also an England vs Ireland ODI series starting on Thursday.

What an incredible win for Ireland!  They have always been a great ODI side - but that was epic.

And a day later the other England Team are starting a Test against Pakistan! :) Strange times.

It's good to see Pakistan, and Wasim Akram in particular.  It sounds like they are ready for teams to tour Pakistan again (coronavirus permitting), which should be great for Pakistan cricket.  

Decent start to the series for Pakistan. Certainly showing more top-order fight already than the Windies did.

Just on Babar Azam - boy he is a really classy player. He is the one guy who could probably join Virat, Root and Williamson as number 2 test batsmen in the world. He averaged 56 in 2018, 68 in 2019 (including a sparkling hundred on tour in Australia) and now averaging 212 in 2020 (from two innings...)

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Decent start to the series for Pakistan. Certainly showing more top-order fight already than the Windies did.

Just on Babar Azam - boy he is a really classy player. He is the one guy who could probably join Virat, Root and Williamson as number 2 test batsmen in the world. He averaged 56 in 2018, 68 in 2019 (including a sparkling hundred on tour in Australia) and now averaging 212 in 2020 (from two innings...)

The Windies batsmen had some good moments here and there but I agree it's a step up in quality here for the batting. Azam's definitely made a promising start to the series, he looks like one of those players where it would take a really good ball to get him out.

Azhar Ali has also learned from Jason Holder's mistakes and decided not to bowl first, which I think could be a good decision, particularly with two leg spinners to bowl in the fourth innings.

1 hour ago, williamjm said:

Azhar Ali has also learned from Jason Holder's mistakes and decided not to bowl first, which I think could be a good decision, particularly with two leg spinners to bowl in the fourth innings.

Urgh. Don't even remind me about the Holder tosses - he probably threw away the series by doing that. Even if they had posted only a moderate score in either match, a better rested bowling attack with runs of the board would have challenged England. 

Then again, England did just look brilliant once Broad was back in the side. So it may not have mattered at all.

I do think Pakistan could be slightly more challenging, but they are the usual hit-and-miss proposition. The batting as we've said looks better than the Windies and the bowling has nice variety: the pace of Naseem, accuracy of Abbas, left-arm pace/angles of Afridi and the leg-spin of Yasir and Shadab. The problem is that some of their better players (e.g. Ali, Shafiq, Yasir) have middling to poor records in England. So a good side on paper might play like crap on the park.

What's new for Pakistan I guess!

Gotta love Pakistan fans.

As pointed out on Cricinfo, the comments on Masood's innings went from: from "got to find a way of rotating strike" and "can't just spend time at the crease" to "absolute joy for all Pakistan fans" and "potential Pakistan captain"!

This is going to be a decent (without being dominant) score for Pakistan and gives the bowlers a shot.

1 minute ago, ljkeane said:

Yeah, solid first innings total for Pakistan. Excellent effort from Shan Masood though and he’s apparently in great form with a couple of centuries in the lead up to lockdown too.

Yeah it's a nice little story. Masood was ridiculed by the English cricket press last time he toured after making single-figure scores in half his innings and just the one 50. No better way to silence the critics than with a ton! 

I doubt that's the last time Abbas will get Sibley LBW in this series. He's pretty much the perfect bowler for Sibley - bowls stump-to-stump and with just enough seam to cause major problems. 

Abbas' test record in England so far: 12 wickets, averaging 14. Striking every five overs. 

ETA: Make or break for Buttler? This is such a critical innings to his long-term future. 

Archived