Avatar: The Last Airbender live-action show on Netflix (now sans its creators).

Werthead

Call me crazy but I didn’t think either of Zuko’s parents were great at parenting lol. Ozai  for obvious reasons and Zukos mom could’ve shown more love towards her daughter and actually fled with both her kids instead of disappearing alone to protect them, she should’ve known the damage that Ozai could cause on them, just on a mental level. 

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

Fleeing with the heirs of the absolute monarch of a nation probably isn't gonna go very well.

Anyway, while I don't actually think the creators being gone is a bad sign (just look at all the crap they put out with the comics, very clearly an even more extreme version of the Lucas effect going on there) but some of the other stuff I'm hearing does concern me, cause like Sokka's sexism isn't just he's an asshole about women until episode 4 when Suki kicks the shit out of him, it's in his commitment to being what he sees as a proper man, which he keeps and influences his character for a much longer time.

But then what do I care? I don't have Netflix.

57 minutes ago, TrueMetis said:

Fleeing with the heirs of the absolute monarch of a nation probably isn't gonna go very well.

This.

Anyway, while I don't actually think the creators being gone is a bad sign (just look at all the crap they put out with the comics, very clearly an even more extreme version of the Lucas effect going on there)

What crap with the comics? They're not all excellent or anything, I see nothing Lucas-like here. They also put out Legend of Korra, which is pretty great, AND manages to not be a rehash in any way. 

but some of the other stuff I'm hearing does concern me, cause like Sokka's sexism isn't just he's an asshole about women until episode 4 when Suki kicks the shit out of him, it's in his commitment to being what he sees as a proper man, which he keeps and influences his character for a much longer time.

Yes, and they mock that relentlessly. The episode where they find Toph being a classic example of this.

11 hours ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah okay it's going to be shit. Sokka learning to not be such a dickhead was, like, his character arc you fucking donkeys. 

Why? He had his sexism beat out of him by episode 4 in the original and, if we go the episode titles, that would have been episode 2 in this remake. It's not like something that has/would have had a distracting presence throughout the show.

Also from the article:

Sokka’s sexism won’t be the only difference “Avatar” fans see in Netflix’s “The Last Airbender.” Showrunner Albert Kim previously said the show does not begin the same way the animated series does. The live-action series will also show the genocide of the Airbender people and the rise of the Fire Nation, which was only alluded to in the animated series.

“That was a conscious decision to show people this is not the animated series,” Kim said. “We had to sometimes unravel storylines and remix them in a new way to make sense for a serialized drama. So I’m very curious to see what’ll happen in terms of reaction to that.”

I mean I get trying to justify the existence of the series via these changes and the need to pat the runtime of individual episodes, but this a very strange example. How does making a serialized drama necessitate showing these events?

4 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

What crap with the comics? They're not all excellent or anything, I see nothing Lucas-like here. They also put out Legend of Korra, which is pretty great, AND manages to not be a rehash in any way. 

I disagree with regards to Korra, but focusing on the first two comics:

The Promise starts off by tackling an interesting problem: How to handle the colonies the Fire Nation has placed all around the Earth Kingdom.

Spoiler

Team BoomerAang originally decides that they are going to just remove them and return the people there to the Fire Nation so that the Nation remain separate. The problem is not that the character originally that this is the solution, it's that the encounter resistance until the Earthbender daughter of a Fire Nation governor of one of those colonyies tries to assassinate Zuko and he decide to actually look at the colony and sees how they build a community that blends Earth Kingdom and Fire Nation with the people there living mostly in harmony. Apparently on all the previous relocation efforts they never noticed something like this.

Then there is the titular promise: Zuko makes Aang promise that to kill him should he turn out like his father. It's already questionable that Aang would even make that promise, but throughout the comic he is FAR too quick to believe that Zuko is going down the path of his paternal ancestors, when Zuko abandons the original plan for the colonies. Katara has to pull him out of the Avatar State twice before he can murder Zuko. Zuko also sucks at communicating and even goes so far as to go to his father for advice. It ends with Aang just earthbending a big ditch around the colony and everybody decides to not go through with the relocation plan.

The subplot with Toph and Sokka finding Metalbending students is also not that great.

In short: The characters are blind, don't talk to each other and are far to quick to resort to violence. The issues that it raises aren't dealt with the care and time they deserve.

The Search decides to rob Ursa of any intrigue to just have her be the victim of an completely unambiguous Ozai.

https://loopy777.livejournal.com/15207.html#cutid1

Spoiler

There is also the stuff with her deciding to forget her previous life, including her children, so that she can live and start a family with her childhood friend.

And worst of all: Sokka is criminally underutilized in these comics.

Edited by ASOIAFrelatedusername

Sorry I worded that badly. The comics aren't excellent, though I definitely dislike them less than you seem to have. But they also weren't written by the Konietzko and DiMartino, though the guy who wrote them "collaborated closely" with Bryke, for what it's worth.

I'd say the comics are more like the Star Wars novels or something. Expansions of the lore, but not by the original creator.

Korra, on the other hand, was by the original creators, and disagree all you want, I found it excellent. 

Edited by fionwe1987

I would still prefer them to work on this show rather than the Netflix people though. Outside of animation, Netflix’s own chosen showrunners have been really uneven. 

54 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

The point is that the creators' post-TLA work, including Korra, just doesn't measure up to the original.

And it seems the suits have been more hands on and interfering in the creative process than before, Mike Flannigan allegedly ended his partnership with Netflix because of that constant interference on Midnight Club( he jumped to Prime) 

Im still gonna give this show a shot but I’m prepared for mediocrity…

Edited by Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II

2 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

The point is that the creators' post-TLA work, including Korra, just doesn't measure up to the original.

You may dislike it, but Korra definitely measures up to ATLA. 

Edit Also Vaatu and Raava are so much worse than Midichlorians.

Lolwut? 

9 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

You may dislike it, but Korra definitely measures up to ATLA. 

I emphatically disagree

10 minutes ago, fionwe1987 said:

Lolwut? 

It mangles the Ying-yang symbolism by making a manichean fight of good against evil and reduced the Avatar from this powerful entity that is both spirit and human and would reincarnate time and time again to keep balance in the world to being the host of a giant glowing tapeworm. That does not appear to have been the case originally:

https://web.archive.org/web/20080730143647/http://www.avatarspiritmedia.net/thelegend.php

The Avatar is the incarnation of the Spirit of the Planet in human form.

Which makes sense with the name "avatar" and with what we have seen in the original series, even though it's not spelled out explicitly.

Likewise the spirits were turned from a natural part of the ecosystem to extra-dimensional invaders. And there is the part where people are just given the ability to bend by the lionturtles. And the DARK AVATAR :ack:

2 hours ago, Ser Rodrigo Belmonte II said:

I would still prefer them to work on this show rather than the Netflix people though. Outside of animation, Netflix’s own chosen showrunners have been really uneven. 

And it seems the suits have been more hands on and interfering in the creative process than before, Mike Flannigan allegedly ended his partnership with Netflix because of that constant interference on Midnight Club( he jumped to Prime) 

Im still gonna give this show a shot but I’m prepared for mediocrity…

Didn’t Mike Flannigan just release a new show for Netflix a few months back? The Fall of House Usher and it was amazing.

Can we not talk about season 2 of Korra. It might be the worst season in the entire Avatar franchise. It’s the season where they “explain the magic”, which is never a good thing. 

Edited by sifth

26 minutes ago, sifth said:

Didn’t Mike Flannigan just release a new show for Netflix a few months back? The Fall of House Usher and it was amazing.

Can we not talk about season 2 of Korra. It might be the worst season in the entire Avatar franchise. It’s the season where they “explain the magic”, which is never a good thing. 

Ya he’s left now. I know it’s good despite Netflix interference because flannigan stood his ground. 

7 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

I emphatically disagree

It mangles the Ying-yang symbolism by making a manichean fight of good against evil

Except the "good" spirit, came from where? The heart of the "evil" spirit. Precisely as in the Yin-yang symbol. The heart of darkness is light, and correspondingly, in the heart of light is darkness. 

and reduced the Avatar from this powerful entity that is both spirit and human

Ummm that is what the Avatar is, an entity that is both a powerful spirit, and a human. Did you perhaps just read about the episode? 

and would reincarnate time and time again to keep balance in the world to being the host of a giant glowing tapeworm.

These are not mutually exclusive, as, again, the show makes very clear. 

What source is this? Why is the Avatar a "him" only? This seems like a fansite explanation based on someone's (bad) interpretation of the show. 

Which makes sense with the name "avatar" and with what we have seen in the original series, even though it's not spelled out explicitly.

The original series already deviates from the classic concept of an Avatar in multiple ways. For one, said Avatar is always alive, not just incarnating at need. For another, the Avatar may be male or female. 

Likewise the spirits were turned from a natural part of the ecosystem to extra-dimensional invaders.

They already were extradimensional. Tui and La, the moon and ocean spirits, we are told, "crossed over to the mortal realm", which made them susceptible to bending, which is exactly what we see happens to the spirits in the normal world during Wan's time. Whereas when humans project themselves into the spirit world, as Aang does in ATLA, they cannot bend.

And there is the part where people are just given the ability to bend by the lionturtles. And the DARK AVATAR :ack:

Didn't the Lion Turtle teach Aang how to remove bending? Using, one might add, the exact gesture they use to grant it? 

Nothing about Korra season 2 is remotely as terrible as the midiclorians. It fits perfectly with what we got about the spirit world and bending in ATLA, and yes, they're explaining the mechanics in greater detail, but not in a way that is contradicorily.

That said, I'm not a great fan of the Dark Avatar too, but that's more because Unalaq made no sense as a character, and in a series with excellent villains, he manages to be even lower dimensional than the one-dimensional Ozai. 

But Korra isn't just Season 2. Whatever your issues with that season, 3, and most of 4, stand right up there with ATLA.

Season 1 has that one dreadful love triangle episode, and a rushed ending because they had no clue how well the show would be received, but manages to still be entertaining and a nice expansion of the world.

The animation in the show is amazing (barring the first 6 episodes of season 2, where they had to switch studios), and Korra's arc and character growth is fantastic. The world expands in sensible ways. The stories are different enough while still feeling part of the same universe. 

As sequels go, I can't think of many that do a better job, especially after such an excellent original. 

Season 3 of Korra is my favorite atla story they've done. I just wish the ending wasn't so hard on her. The villain, the expansion of the bending and the world, the fights...mwah. 

37 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Season 3 of Korra is my favorite atla story they've done. I just wish the ending wasn't so hard on her. The villain, the expansion of the bending and the world, the fights...mwah. 

Yes, Season 3 was definitely firing on all cylinders. And that rough ending for Korra lead to Korra Alone, which was the best Korra episode overall, I think. Definitely devastating for her, though. I remember wet eyes all around the crowd who watched the S3 finale. 

11 hours ago, fionwe1987 said:

Except the "good" spirit, came from where? The heart of the "evil" spirit. Precisely as in the Yin-yang symbol. The heart of darkness is light, and correspondingly, in the heart of light is darkness. 

That is still not properly ying-yang. There both light AND dark are required to achieve harmony, the imprisonment of Vaatu should have led to horrible consequences, but it didn't. The Avatar should have been possessed by both Raava and Vaatu to avoid imbalance.

Ummm that is what the Avatar is, an entity that is both a powerful spirit, and a human. Did you perhaps just read about the episode? 

Nope. The Avatar is now a reincarnating human who is possessed by a spirit. Raava and the Avatar are separate entities.

What source is this? Why is the Avatar a "him" only? This seems like a fansite explanation based on someone's (bad) interpretation of the show. 

Apparently this was taken from nick.com where they posted background info for show back when it was airing.

They already were extradimensional. Tui and La, the moon and ocean spirits, we are told, "crossed over to the mortal realm", which made them susceptible to bending, which is exactly what we see happens to the spirits in the normal world during Wan's time. Whereas when humans project themselves into the spirit world, as Aang does in ATLA, they cannot bend.

Tui and La were not the only spirits in the original. There is also the Painted Lady and Heibai who were strongly connected with certain pacea and were part of the natural ecosystem. They also had no problem crossing over. In Korra we are told that the Evil Spirit of Darkness was the one who broke the barrier between the worlds, Spirits invaded and drove humanity to the back of the Lion turtles. Here they are clearly not part of the natural world.

Didn't the Lion Turtle teach Aang how to remove bending? Using, one might add, the exact gesture they use to grant it? 

It gave  him the ability to bend the energy within others (and presumably himself). However Aang is already the Avatar, not some rando. Bending in the original  wasn't a superpower that one could just be granted. It required training and a certain spiritual attunement or connection with the respective element.

Also it still contradicts the original.

Nothing about Korra season 2 is remotely as terrible as the midiclorians. It fits perfectly with what we got about the spirit world and bending in ATLA, and yes, they're explaining the mechanics in greater detail, but not in a way that is contradicorily.

If Beginnings doesn't contradict what has been previously established, then neither do Midichlorians. And the latter are only ever mentioned in two single scenes.

But Korra isn't just Season 2. Whatever your issues with that season, 3, and most of 4, stand right up there with ATLA.

I disagree. Season 3 has very little substance two it besides some really good action. Season 4's pacing was awful (from what I remember), it horribly mishandled Kuvira and screw that mech-laser bs.

Honestly the worst thing about Korra is its missed potential. As a character Korra is set up as someone who can't just punch all.their problems away and yet she solves every of her problems with punching.

Same with the characters of Mako, Bolin and Asami.

Furthermore, while it sets up more complex issues than the original, it fsils to explore them in sufgicient detail.

Edited by ASOIAFrelatedusername

Honestly the worst thing about Korra is its missed potential. As a character Korra is set up as someone who can't just punch all.their problems away and yet she solves every of her problems with punching.

Yes and no. She generally fails to solve the problems through punching on her own, often getting her ass kicked when she tries that. She has to accept that she needs help, as well as training/discipline to achieve anything.

Apart from that, I think there's a difference between saying Korra has no substance, and saying one doesn't like its substance.
The themes in Korra are not the same as those in ATLA, but they could easily be said to be far more complex - they're political more than spiritual. In fact, I'm tempted to say ATLA is actually far more manichean - you can immediately spot truly "evil" characters thanks to their facial features.
Korra has secondary characters that most people find less endearing (The Gang was just awesome), and some episodes have pacing/structure problems. OTOH, it's more ambitious that ATLA, among other things because it's a sequel to a very successful show.

4 hours ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

That is still not properly ying-yang. There both light AND dark are required to achieve harmony, the imprisonment of Vaatu should have led to horrible consequences, but it didn't. The Avatar should have been possessed by both Raava and Vaatu to avoid imbalance.

Firstly, why on earth does the show need to be "properly" anything? It isn't obliged to follow its inspirations 100%, and neither does ATLA.

Secondly, no, Vaatu being held captive didn't mean evil ended. Nor is that true after his disintegration in the end of Season 2. He carries on, and the chaos and darkness he embodies never goes away. Hence the need for balance, which Raava initially provided by battling him constantly to keep his powers in check after he forced open the Sprit portals, and achieved later by Raava and Wan fusing.

Nope. The Avatar is now a reincarnating human who is possessed by a spirit. Raava and the Avatar are separate entities.

No. Normal possession kills the human. Raava and Wan fused, and were only able to do so during Harmonic Convergence. Same for Raava and Korra, who is the first Avatar of this new cycle. It is not a possession, because if it was, killing the Avatar in the Avatar State wouldn't end the Avatar, since Raava could just repossess the reborn spirit of Wan. 

Apparently this was taken from nick.com where they posted background info for show back when it was airing.

I'd like some proof of that, given how obviously wrong so many of the statements in the link are.

Tui and La were not the only spirits in the original.

They were the only ones who were physically in the mortal realm. Zhao specifically says so, and it is why they're susceptible to his fire bending, unlike other spirits like Hei Bai, who were not affected by bending one bit.

There is also the Painted Lady and Heibai who were strongly connected with certain pacea and were part of the natural ecosystem.

As manifestations, not as physically present bodies. They were not affected by bending, unlike Tui and La, and unlike the Spirits who roamed the human world during Wan's time.

They also had no problem crossing over. In Korra we are told that the Evil Spirit of Darkness was the one who broke the barrier between the worlds, Spirits invaded and drove humanity to the back of the Lion turtles. Here they are clearly not part of the natural world.

Physically, no, they are not. They're able to cross over as projections, just as humans can project themselves into the Spirit World, which is different from when they physically enter the Spirit World through the portals. 

It gave  him the ability to bend the energy within others (and presumably himself).

Uh huh. The Lion Turtle specifically says "In the era before bending, we bent not the elements, but the energy within ourselves. To bend another's energy, your own spirit must be unbendable, or you will be corrupted and destroyed."

And this knowledge is used by Aang to energybend Ozai's bending away. So are you arguing energybending works only one way? That the opposite is possible, and that the Lion Turtles themselves can do it, are both clearly implied and stated in the bit of dialog from ATLA. There's no retconning here.

However Aang is already the Avatar, not some rando.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. The Lion Turtles are the only ones, outside of the Avatar, that could energy bend. Who is the rando who you're objecting to?

Bending in the original  wasn't a superpower that one could just be granted. It required training and a certain spiritual attunement or connection with the respective element.

Also it still contradicts the original.

Again, not mutually exclusive. By the time of ATLA, bending is hereditary, but you had to train to do it well. In the time of Wan, just being granted the ability didn't mean much. Wan stood out because he practiced his abilities with the help of dragons, and got spiritual connection, and then with the help of Raava, learned the other elements. Nothing

If Beginnings doesn't contradict what has been previously established, then neither do Midichlorians. And the latter are only ever mentioned in two single scenes.

Yes, they're merely mentioned and don't fit in with any of the lore, and play almost no part in the main story. Which is why compariosn to Beginnings is nonsensical, because it is both consistent with ATLA, and what is revealed there drives the story not just for the rest of Season 2, but also S3 and S4.

I disagree. Season 3 has very little substance two it besides some really good action. Season 4's pacing was awful (from what I remember), it horribly mishandled Kuvira and screw that mech-laser bs.

Well I'm sold. Especially given how many details you missed from S2, clearly you have a great eye for substance.

Huh? She surrenders to Zahir in S3, and very clearly does her hardest not to punch in S4, and only ends up succeeding when she takes a punch for Kuvira. Again, you have every right to dislike the show, but sticking to facts might help sell your criticism a tad more.

Same with the characters of Mako, Bolin and Asami. Furthermore, while it sets up more complex issues than the original, it fsils to explore them in sufgicient detail.

I don't disagree on the last, but that also seems to have been because Nickelodeon refused to commit to more than one season at a time.

Honestly, replace Unalaq as the villain of S2 with Noahtak/Aman, have Korra not regain her bending right away in book 1, and S2 falls into place much better. S3 I'd leave largely unchanged, except to dwell more on Kuvira's character, make her more prominent so then what happens in S4 flows better. 

I'm far from believing LoK was perfect. Neither was ATLA. But I think LoK made for a worthy successor that successfully expanded the world and mythology without rehashing anything at all, and made very restrained use of the original cast members, despite the easy temptation of just introducing them as oldies and making them major characters.

While Mako is an annoying and totally one dimensional character, and they criminally underused Asami, Tenzin, Lin, Su and Jinora are all great secondary characters. And they somehow made me go from total loathing to confused fondness for Varrick, which I never thought would be possible.

The villains, barring the truly dismal Unalaq, were all better drawn and more interesting than the ATLA villains, especially Zaheer, and Aman also was excellent, if underused due to the small number of S1 episodes. 

Seriously, if they gave another season to Aman, and expanded Kuvira's role in S3, I'd have precious little to complain about.

Oh, and Nick should have let them openly explore Korrasami from S3, rather than forcing them to do the small hints that felt like queerbaiting before finally at least allowing them to hold hands. I still love that moment, but it is just so fecking unfair.

1 hour ago, Rippounet said:

Yes and no. She generally fails to solve the problems through punching on her own, often getting her ass kicked when she tries that. She has to accept that she needs help, as well as training/discipline to achieve anything.

Yeah sure, but ultimately her problems are still ultimately solved with violence. That she gets with the punching doesn't change that

Amon: Gets punched with suddenly appearing Airbending powers

Unavaatu:ack: Is the exception because he gets defeated by Korra doing spirit cleansing, which she somehow is able to do. Is there any in-show explanation or something from the creators how that whole thing, including Kaiju-Korra, worked?

Zaheer: Gets punshed in an awesome fight scene where Korra gets some help.

Kuvira: Again a fight involving a giant mech and a laser

Apart from that, I think there's a difference between saying Korra has no substance, and saying one doesn't like its substance.
The themes in Korra are not the same as those in ATLA, but they could easily be said to be far more complex - they're political more than spiritual. In fact,

It certainly wants to tackle more complex themes, but it fails. Take Equalism for example: The issue of non-bender isn't at all established in Korra (and also not in TLA). Non-bender discrimination only begins once Amon becomes a big problem because council member was trying to bring the whole thing down and the others were morons. Then it gets solved through a single election.

In fact, I'm tempted to say ATLA is actually far more manichean - you can immediately spot truly "evil" characters thanks to their facial features.

Missing an important point of ATLA entirely.

5 minutes ago, ASOIAFrelatedusername said:

Yeah sure, but ultimately her problems are still ultimately solved with violence.

Yes and no. In the end, Amon isn't killed by Korra (only exposed), and Zaheer ends up helping her.

Korra is more prone to resort to force/violence than Aang, but it very seldom works. I'd argue her approach is only best against Kuvira who, ironically, mirrors Korra herself.

It certainly wants to tackle more complex themes, but it fails.

That's a subjective appreciation. In the final analysis, I actually agree with you, but it's worth bearing in mind that we're talking about a fucking cartoon here. Do you know a lot of cartoons that attempted to tackle so many of these themes at once?
I can think of some that worked with a few of these themes, but Korra was truly ambitious.

I hate the way the equalists were presented, but it's an American show so they were always going to botch that I guess, and season 1 had other merits. Season 2 was a fail imho, and not just because of the antagonist. But Zaheer and Kuvira were excellent villains that could introduce young viewers to the complexity of some real-world problems.

Missing an important point of ATLA entirely.

You're the one who forgets that not everyone got a shot at redemption.

In fact, while it's easy to point out that Korra's approach often failed, let's not forget that Aang's approach did not always prove successful either.

https://ew.com/avatar-the-last-airbender-live-action-cover-story-what-to-expect-8551028

“All three seasons of the animated series essentially take place in the course of one calendar year,” notes the showrunner. “There was no way we could do that. So we had to design this first season, especially, to accommodate the possibility of some time elapsing between the first and the second season.” One way to do that was Sozin’s Comet, which played a prominent role in the animated series. “The comet was their ticking clock,” Kim continues. “We removed that particular ticking clock from our show for now because we couldn't know exactly how old our actors would be for the subsequent seasons.”

The heck? I get why they'll need time to elapse between seasons. But why does that mean no Sozin's comet? Just extend the friggin clock!