Character Study: Robert Baratheon and Son Goku

Orm

Firstly, let me say that I shamelessly copied a few things I saw people discussing in Reddit.Charecter identification of someone who is a symbolically 'A stomach'. Someone who doesn't harbour malicious intentions (without cause) is generally pure natured, but good intentions or gestures come through when it serves them to feel good or something that they are heavily invested in. 

Now I found that Robert and Goku from DBZ both fit this type almost to a T. Similarities between them.

1) Both love fighting, eating and enjoying life to over indulgence.....

2) Both are very good at fighting and are arguably the most powerful fighters of their respective universe/world.... 

3) Both are extremely heroic and at the same time.... Selfish. But they pull off in being very likeable and are more good than bad in both nature and deeds

4) Are not the sharpest knife in the kitchen in anything.... except in the field of martial prowess in their respective universe.

5) Are extremely intolerant of people shoving attacks at their backs.(backstabbing)

6) Both have made friends out of enemies who were out to kill them.

7) Both are immature and that immaturity puts them in a lot of unwarranted trouble.

8) Both care for their children, but are irresponsible in their duties towards them.

9) quite careless.

Those who watched DB, DBZ, DBS.... Let me know if you agree or not.

1 hour ago, Orm said:

Firstly, let me say that I shamelessly copied a few things I saw people discussing in Reddit.Charecter identification of someone who is a symbolically 'A stomach'. Someone who doesn't harbour malicious intentions (without cause) is generally pure natured, but good intentions or gestures come through when it serves them to feel good or something that they are heavily invested in. 

Now I found that Robert and Goku from DBZ both fit this type almost to a T. Similarities between them.

1) Both love fighting, eating and enjoying life to over indulgence.....

2) Both are very good at fighting and are arguably the most powerful fighters of their respective universe/world.... 

3) Both are extremely heroic and at the same time.... Selfish. But they pull off in being very likeable and are more good than bad in both nature and deeds

4) Are not the sharpest knife in the kitchen in anything.... except in the field of martial prowess in their respective universe.

5) Are extremely intolerant of people shoving attacks at their backs.

6) Both have made friends out of enemies who were out to kill him

7) Both are immature and that immaturity puts them in a lot of unwarranted trouble.

8) Both care for their children, but are irresponsible in their duties towards them.

9) quite careless.

Those who watched DB, DBZ, DBS.... Let me know if you agree or not.

1. Robert loved fighting, sure. Eating? Why cuz he was fat lol? He cant eat like Goku tho. And Goku not a drunk

2. Roberts arguably the greatest fighter. (Id argue no) there aint no argument over Goku

3. Gokus selfish? Nah Roberts bad deeds far outshine his good ones and is not nearly as likable

4. Lol. Goku can plan though while Robert can only charge with the hammer. Gokus an idiot? Hes not smart but I don't remember being overly dumb. Robert too

5. Isn't that how he killed his brother?

6. True. Gokus greatest characteristic imo. (Followed by his persistence )

7. How so?

8. Cuz he was dead! Lol. Goku was a good enough pops when he was around. Better then every day of Roberts parenting 

9. Quite.

I don't see it.... How about

Bran is Tien. Ok, got the third eye aaand... Whos the first person to fly in the dragonball universe?

14 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

1. Robert loved fighting, sure. Eating? Why cuz he was fat lol? He cant eat like Goku tho. And Goku not a drunk

2. Roberts arguably the greatest fighter. (Id argue no) there aint no argument over Goku

3. Gokus selfish? Nah Roberts bad deeds far outshine his good ones and is not nearly as likable

4. Lol. Goku can plan though while Robert can only charge with the hammer. Gokus an idiot? Hes not smart but I don't remember being overly dumb. Robert too

7. How so?

8. Cuz he was dead! Lol. Goku was a good enough pops when he was around. Better then every day of Roberts parenting 

9. Quite.

Bran is Tien. Ok, got the third eye aaand... Whos the first person to fly in the dragonball universe?

1) point?... Goku is a glutton and so is king Bobby B.

2) ok... I disagree.

3) He first let Freeza to go full power mode so he could he get a fight risking everyone and everything in the universe at the time. Then he spared Freeza cause he was wanted a good fight in the future. Let's not get into DBS. Akiyo Toriyama, " I intended Goku to be somewhat selfish in nature"..... Are you only an American Dub watcher where Goku gets whitewashed and gives Superman speeches?

Roberts best deed: Overthrowing a mad Tyrant.....

His worst "deed": Condoning the murder of two children and their mother...

I find the good to be more than bad.

4)I am not comparing them as fighters to fight each other.(That would be so silly, I thought it would be obvious)... I am saying they are both martial geniuses in respective universes. And are kind of idiots in other spheres of life.(Not absolutely retarded as many Goku- haters try to push)....

5) He got fooled the first time sparing Raditz. He wasn't going to spare him a second time... Even at the cost of his own life....

6)ok. Agreed...

7)Chalk this off as being dunder heads and dense when the situation required them not to be.....

8) Excellent point.(But you forgot to mention he chose to be dead)... And Robert had to deal with Queen Evil Toxicity....

I would say they are quite similar in their parenting. Absentee, but a good influence nonetheless....

And before you start Yelling "BUT THE EVIL BRAT JOFFREY".. no that twat is all Cersei.... Roberts influence would be Edric storm....

I disagree... When I saw it... I couldn't unsee it anymore....

On that note, Can you muster anymore "similarity" between Tien and Bran. Even if superficial stuff...

Never mind this thread is explicitly centred around personality/Characteristics....

15 hours ago, Orm said:

1) point?... Goku is a glutton and so is king Bobby B.

2) ok... I disagree.

3) He first let Freeza to go full power mode so he could he get a fight risking everyone and everything in the universe at the time. Then he spared Freeza cause he was wanted a good fight in the future. Let's not get into DBS. Akiyo Toriyama, " I intended Goku to be somewhat selfish in nature"..... Are you only an American Dub watcher where Goku gets whitewashed and gives Superman speeches?

Roberts best deed: Overthrowing a mad Tyrant.....

His worst "deed": Condoning the murder of two children and their mother...

I find the good to be more than bad.

4)I am not comparing them as fighters to fight each other.(That would be so silly, I thought it would be obvious)... I am saying they are both martial geniuses in respective universes. And are kind of idiots in other spheres of life.(Not absolutely retarded as many Goku- haters try to push)....

5) He got fooled the first time sparing Raditz. He wasn't going to spare him a second time... Even at the cost of his own life....

6)ok. Agreed...

7)Chalk this off as being dunder heads and dense when the situation required them not to be.....

8) Excellent point.(But you forgot to mention he chose to be dead)... And Robert had to deal with Queen Evil Toxicity....

I would say they are quite similar in their parenting. Absentee, but a good influence nonetheless....

And before you start Yelling "BUT THE EVIL BRAT JOFFREY".. no that twat is all Cersei.... Roberts influence would be Edric storm....

I disagree... When I saw it... I couldn't unsee it anymore....

On that note, Can you muster anymore "similarity" between Tien and Bran. Even if superficial stuff...

Never mind this thread is explicitly centred around personality/Characteristics....

1. Hmm... Glutton to me is like eating your second plate before someone had their first. Yes Goku can clean up a table, but that comes from his heavy workout and his alien stomach. But he doesnt seem greedy to me, splitting up sensu beans and what not

2. Disagree that its an argument? Sword of morning, Victarion, the Kingslayer, Selmy or Jorah. Theres plenty of warriors out there, some are obscure no names till they get famous like Bronn. Robert never sought out the greatest fighter which Goku consistently does

3. Lol yea true. He even stops Krillen from killing Vegeta cuz he wanted a rematch. Lol he lives to fight, sure, thats pretty selfish. 

Robert himself became something of a mad tyrant, his son perfected the art. Robert was a half mad rapist, theres plenty of bad there

4. Goku has a kind of child innocence to him which I guess can be perceived as stupid

5. Word 

7. When does their immaturity put them in unwarranted trouble?

8. To save his son! (Right? Iirc Raditz wanted to kidnap Gohan, maybe he just wanted to blow up the earth or whatever)

Robert had no interest in parenting Cerseis 3 kids, the closest he got to fathering was beating Joff almost to death. Which is more fathering then Edric got, who Robert showed absolute no interest in. 

On the side note, theyre both constantly followed by some weird creature whos got psychic powers :DChiaotzu lol what is that thing?

On 8/24/2020 at 1:42 PM, Hugorfonics said:

7. How so?

9. Quite.

1) Roberts inarguably at the top of the list of fighters in Westeros with Arthur Dayne, Selmy and Jaime.

2) Hasn’t Goku literally risked the destruction of the Universe before?

3) Robert has the best military record in asoiaf. He’s won 2 wars and his only defeat was indecisive.

4) Is he? Goku’s an absentee dad is what he is. Much like Robert, actually.

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

1. Hmm... Glutton to me is like eating your second plate before someone had their first. Yes Goku can clean up a table, but that comes from his heavy workout and his alien stomach. But he doesnt seem greedy to me, splitting up sensu beans and what not

2. Disagree that its an argument? Sword of morning, Victarion, the Kingslayer, Selmy or Jorah. Theres plenty of warriors out there, some are obscure no names till they get famous like Bronn. Robert never sought out the greatest fighter which Goku consistently does

3. Lol yea true. He even stops Krillen from killing Vegeta cuz he wanted a rematch. Lol he lives to fight, sure, thats pretty selfish. 

Robert himself became something of a mad tyrant, his son perfected the art. Robert was a half mad rapist, theres plenty of bad there

4. Goku has a kind of child innocence to him which I guess can be perceived as stupid

5. Word 

7. When does their immaturity put them in unwarranted trouble?

8. To save his son! (Right? Iirc Raditz wanted to kidnap Gohan, maybe he just wanted to blow up the earth or whatever)

Robert had no interest in parenting Cerseis 3 kids, the closest he got to fathering was beating Joff almost to death. Which is more fathering then Edric got, who Robert showed absolute no interest in. 

On the side note, theyre both constantly followed by some weird creature whos got psychic powers :DChiaotzu lol what is that thing?

1) Robert while he was morbidly obese, 10 years out of practice, drunk and drugged managed to kill a monstrously oversized boar with one blow Jon Arryns old belt knife and while his insides were sliding out of his belly. It still took him 3 days to die. At the Battle of the Bells, Robert killed half a dozen men, slew Ser Myles Mooton in single combat and went on to defeat Jon Connington on his own. He did that while he was wounded and with a sword. He wielded a warhammer with one hand that was so heavy that Ned could barely lift it with two. He was skilled with knives, spears, axes, hammers and swords. I’m underselling him by the way.

2) Joffrey is Cersei and Jaimes bastard born of incest and Robert tried to discipline him. His parents are responsible for his cruelty. Not Robert. And no. He wasn’t mad or cruel.

3) Youre entitled to your own opinions. Not your own facts. Robert hit Joffrey once for gutting a pregnant cat and ripping out its babies. Corporal punishment is normal in a Westeros. Ned does it. Arlan did it. Duncan did it. According to Cersei he tried talking to him as well and we know from Ned’s conversation with him that he was deeply disappointed in how he turned out. It’s not that Roberts just a brute that loves to beat children either. Here’s how he handled a normal child.

"The girl is as wild as that filthy animal of hers," Cersei Lannister said. "Robert, I want her punished."

"Seven hells," Robert swore. "Cersei, look at her. She's a child. What would you have me do, whip her through the streets? Damn it, children fight. It's over. No lasting harm was done."

4) Edric was mostly raised by castellans at Storms End (which isn’t unusual in the setting). He was educated and trained. Because he was at Storms End he got to spend quite a bit of time with Robert too and emulates him. The kid seems to have turned out alright. Stannis said that Robert “played the father”, so that’s not even a good example.

12 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Hmm... Glutton to me is like eating your second plate before someone had their first. Yes Goku can clean up a table, but that comes from his heavy workout and his alien stomach. But he doesnt seem greedy to me, splitting up sensu beans and what not

??? That's why I said Glutton.... Neither Goku or Robert have greed for anything but food and it's over indulgence. And guess what, Robert is pretty open handed with his property(giving away castles to his brothers) and Medicare(ordering his Maestar to treat Barri B instead of him) as well.... It seems you added more similarity than dissimilarity....

Disagree that its an argument

You could make a case against Robert... As is with Goku..

Doesn't change they have the Best record out of all of them in their respective universes....

:bs:

Hmm.... According to GRRM, "if Robert is based on anyone as a king it would be Edward IV of England".... I don't know much about Edward IV but unless he is known as "something of a mad Tyrant" then your opinion is B_S...

I am not going to name him Rapist on the account of only Queen Evil Bitch who can't even keep her storys straight, lack of evidence and contrary evidence...

And you can keep telling Robert is plenty bad till your blue in your virtual face..That is your opinion, far from the fact. And if anyone's opinion is fact on this topics of ASOIAF it's GRRM.

And according to him, "Robert is a good man in many ways, but he doesn't make a good king"

So, again your opinion is B_S...

. Goku has a kind of child innocence to him which I guess can be perceived as stupid

So, your admitting he's stupid?....

. When does their immaturity put them in unwarranted trouble?

I can only recall vague instances on both accounts. But I am lazy to go through with this:D.... So I will secede this to you....

. To save his son! (Right? Iirc Raditz wanted to kidnap Gohan, maybe he just wanted to blow up the earth or whatever

I was talking about the Cell saga. Where he chose to be dead for selfish reasons.

Opinionated B_S... I won't oblige....

16 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Robert while he was morbidly obese, 10 years out of practice, drunk and drugged managed to kill a monstrously oversized boar with one blow Jon Arryns old belt knife and while his insides were sliding out of his belly. It still took him 3 days to die. At the Battle of the Bells, Robert killed half a dozen men, slew Ser Myles Mooton in single combat and went on to defeat Jon Connington on his own. He did that while he was wounded and with a sword. He wielded a warhammer with one hand that was so heavy that Ned could barely lift it with two. He was skilled with knives, spears, axes, hammers and swords. I’m underselling him by the way.

Sometimes I go and check the wiki, to gauge how much of a badass Robert Baratheon truly was during his Rebellion. Why are his brothers martially mediocre on single combat?..

How much of an arrogant douche was Rhaegar to think he could take Robert in single combat??

14 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Hasn’t Goku literally risked the destruction of the Universe before?

when? ( its been ages since ive seen dbz)

14 hours ago, Lee-Sensei said:

Stannis said that Robert “played the father”, so that’s not even a good example.

Lol thats not the message you were supposed to get

My royal brother played the fond father on his visits to Storm's End, and there were gifts . . . swords and ponies and fur-trimmed cloaks. The eunuch's work, every one. The boy would write the Red Keep full of thanks, and Robert would laugh and ask Varys what he'd sent this year.

5 hours ago, Orm said:

:bs:

Hmm.... According to GRRM, "if Robert is based on anyone as a king it would be Edward IV of England".... I don't know much about Edward IV but unless he is known as "something of a mad Tyrant" then your opinion is B_S...

Which must mean of course, that Eddy was something of a mad tyrant lol. Idk much either, he warred on his cousins and his brother was the colorful Richard iii. All those kings were something of a tyrant anyway. Comes with the hat. 

Robert was weird, he kept yelling about pissing on Rhaegars grave, who does that? Plus he put a hit on a pregnant teenager which isnt very cool. The way he handles Lady or just allowed Tyrion to escape questioning from Cat over the attempt on Bran. There are laws in the 7 which Robert just ignored. Kinda tyrannical, even if it's less then his predecessor and successor

5 hours ago, Orm said:

I am not going to name him Rapist on the account of only Queen Evil Bitch who can't even keep her storys straight, lack of evidence and contrary evidence...

I believe her

A farewell feast. I fear his lordship is eager to see the heels of my hungry horde."

"Not true, Your Grace," protested a wispy young man who must have been Caswell. "What is mine is yours."

"Whenever someone said that to my brother Robert, he took them at their word," Renly said. "Do you have daughters?"

"Yes, Your Grace. Two."

"Then thank the gods that I am not Robert. My sweet queen is all the woman I desire."

Robert took what he wanted (the IT for example) he also took sex, theres a word for that

5 hours ago, Orm said:

. And if anyone's opinion is fact on this topics of ASOIAF it's GRRM.

No its not. GRRM can be wrong, he can have a slip of a tongue. The only facts that are facts are the words GRRM prints, and not as a Maester either

5 hours ago, Orm said:

So, again your opinion is B_S...

Hmm, thanks

5 hours ago, Orm said:

So, your admitting he's stupid?....

Yea fuck it lol. Damn chimp 

5 hours ago, Orm said:

I can only recall vague instances on both accounts. But I am lazy to go through with this:D.... So I will secede this to you....

I was talking about the Cell saga. Where he chose to be dead for selfish reasons.

Your probably right about goku but I cant think of Robert. I guess trying to take a boar one vs one is pretty immature, more stupid really

I don't remember, howd he die in cell... I really dont remember he didnt fight 17 or 18 cuz of his heart right? And then Gohan kills Cell in the tournament, or they both do? Shared kamehameha

51 minutes ago, Hugorfonics said:

Comes with the hat. 

Okay. I can agree with it, if you put it that way.

Robert was weird, he kept yelling about pissing on Rhaegars grave, who does that? Plus

A guy who wants to kill that specific  asshole a thousand times over? Robert is specifically hostile(mad if you want to call it) towards the Targs till he let go of that in his dying moments. Quite understandable if you look at the background for that grudge...

Plus he put a hit on a pregnant teenager which isnt very cool

Political, but a bad act as it is done with rage and hate. Doesn't overcome the great act that is overthrowing an inbred mad Tyrant and Ridding the world of emo prince inbred Marie Sue.(another mad idiot in the making)....

The way he handles Lady or just allowed Tyrion to escape questioning from Cat over the attempt on Bran.

What do you think Goku would do?

I believe her.

I don't....

But then again I don't give a shit even if she is raped by the Mountain...

No its not. GRRM can be wrong, he can have a slip of a tongue. The only facts that are facts are the words GRRM prints, and not as a Maester either

Sure.. disregard/falsify the Author when his opinion on his fiction contradicts your opinion on his fiction.

I accept your secession....

guess trying to take a boar one vs one is pretty immature, more stupid really

Yeah, pretty Stupid and pretty Badass. Kinda like Goku.....

don't remember, howd he die in cell... I really dont remember he didnt fight 17 or 18 cuz of his heart right? And then Gohan kills Cell in the tournament, or they both do? Shared kamehameha

Well it seems you watched it a long time ago... I am a teenager who got into it a year ago...

Would've been better discussing if you didn't recall vaguely...

But thanks for indulging me anyways....

1 hour ago, Hugorfonics said:

He recently did in DBS again. He convinced Zeno(the child god emperor of the macro-verse).... That fighting is a great idea to decide which universes should be allowed to live...

Why are Robert fans the worst? They always minimize rape, or worse say that Cersei deserved it for being evil.

There's even one particular weirdo who's going around saying Cersei was not actually raped because Jaime and Barristan don't mention it. I've seen them on both reddit, replying to month old threads and on this forum called Spacebattles.

13 hours ago, Lord Lannister said:

This really seems a forced apple and oranges comparison to me.

How so?.... Could prove to be true if you elaborated on it...

12 hours ago, S. D said:

Why are Robert fans the worst

Why is making a case that Robert and Goku are awfully alike fanning over one or the other? Is it because you love Goku but hate Bobby B?... So you can't allow it to be true even if it's obvious?

I am comparing them with both the great and the bad... I don't even consider Goku to be the greatest character in fiction ever. That title, I would give to Uncle Iroh of ATLA......

I find Dany fans to be the worst... Everyone seems to overlook that Dany is a sex pervert who gets off in riding her son...

12 hours ago, S. D said:

They always minimize rape 

Where?

12 hours ago, S. D said:

say that Cersei deserved it for being evil.

I admit I don't give a shit even if a spear went through her vagina....

I have little tolerance for narcissists. Let alone evil Narcissists.....

18 minutes ago, Orm said:

Where?

I admit I don't give a shit even if a spear went through her vagina....

I actually edited my post because I didnt want trouble but ok I changed it back.

You'll see it in this thread, and you'll also see it in lots of other places. 

6 hours ago, Hugorfonics said:

Lol thats not the message you were supposed to get

My royal brother played the fond father on his visits to Storm's End, and there were gifts . . . swords and ponies and fur-trimmed cloaks. The eunuch's work, every one. The boy would write the Red Keep full of thanks, and Robert would laugh and ask Varys what he'd sent this year.

Which must mean of course, that Eddy was something of a mad tyrant lol. Idk much either, he warred on his cousins and his brother was the colorful Richard iii. All those kings were something of a tyrant anyway. Comes with the hat. 

Robert was weird, he kept yelling about pissing on Rhaegars grave, who does that? Plus he put a hit on a pregnant teenager which isnt very cool. The way he handles Lady or just allowed Tyrion to escape questioning from Cat over the attempt on Bran. There are laws in the 7 which Robert just ignored. Kinda tyrannical, even if it's less then his predecessor and successor

I believe her

A farewell feast. I fear his lordship is eager to see the heels of my hungry horde."

"Not true, Your Grace," protested a wispy young man who must have been Caswell. "What is mine is yours."

"Whenever someone said that to my brother Robert, he took them at their word," Renly said. "Do you have daughters?"

"Yes, Your Grace. Two."

"Then thank the gods that I am not Robert. My sweet queen is all the woman I desire."

Robert took what he wanted (the IT for example) he also took sex, theres a word for that

1) In DBS.

2) It actually is. Roberts treatment of Edric is pretty standard. Edric got an education, trained with arms and grew up in a castle like every other Lordling. He also spent time with him when he visited Storms End every year. How does that differ from Stannis’ relationship with Shireen for example?

3) Someone that believes that Rhaegar raped and murdered his fiancée does that. Are you forgetting that a Brandon thought the same thing and was murdered by the Targaryens when he went to get her back? Lyanna May have left willingly, but he doesn’t know that.

4) That teenager had married a Dothraki warlord and her brother was planning a return to the 7 Kingdoms with their army. He left the. Alone for well over a decade in the east and only made another move after they started planning a new war.

5) Did Robert want the Iron Throne or was it thrust upon him? There’s no evidence that Robert raped all of the women that he slept with. What’s more likely is that they wanted to sleep with him, because of his social status and because when he was young, he was very good looking. 

Archived